Thread: Raceboat and Switzer Wings

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NJ Outboards

Although I was there, that group was Scotty Barnikow's team. Scotty & his brother owned an Evinrude dealership in Edison, NJ. He moved up to SST100 & Grand Prix hull when it was a new class and won just about all the time until Leigh built a boat for Dean Chew. Dean, Leigh & Charlie Monts D'Oca & I went to all of the Pro Tunnel races that year, that Dean began to beat Scotty. Anyway, 1988, I believe that was the year that Chuck Zolkoske drove my Burgundy & multi gray colored "Tom Cat" and won. Some gun jumping. That was the best looking 45 that Brad ever built. It went from Kankakee to South America.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for a history lesson.

Tomtall

Default Lee's racing

Hey John - Do you remember the race when Lee almost went up on shore in sst45 when he blacked out. I can't recall but I think it was Dayton but maybe not. I know it scared the H*ll out of us watching when he came around pin 3 and 4 and just keep't coming towards shore. I know that he came to and got back on track. I found out later he had a nerve in his neck that made him black out when he got going around the corner pulling "G's". Lee is a heck of a nice person. Builds some wicked fast boats to!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leigh Furnal raced CSH at the 1977 Bakersfield Stock Nationals...

Seems Leigh almost beat Lister, and at the time, my father-in-law always told people Ron Hill Props were fast, and Leigh and Wolf, who ran DSH and died in his sleep that winter, John Stone and a few more New Yorkers were pitted by us...

Seems Leigh and larry Lister split heats in CSH and Lister won...My father-in-law gave Leigh the raspberries...but all in fun...

Last time I saw Leigh was at Second Effort, maybe 18 years ago!!

So, Leigh was at Bakersfield...he also ran all the Mini Enduro races...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-28-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eric Wolf??

He was a winner alright. ALWAYS the one to beat in DSH in Region 2. A really nice guy, and missed by many.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leigh Furnal

Tom, although I wasn't there, that could have been Leigh as he had injured his neck originally blowing over a "DSH" then re-injured it in a 45 blow over at Ocoee, FL. The crowning blow which resulted in his racing retirement was a snap roll over at Grass Lake in Jackson, MI. THat almost required wearing a Helo contraption, but didn't. The doctor at the U.M. Medical center told him what he saw and thought was a fracture in his upper vertebrae was actually scar tissue, but he should never take the chance again. He now is an excellent golfer, playing as much as he can. I told to hom semi-frequently and he and his wife Kathy came to Charlotte last fall & we went to the NASCAR race at Lowes Motor Speedway. He also spent a few hours this Spring at the Winter Nationals in Ocoee. I'm not sure but he may lurk here and he'll probably be pissed that I posted about him. Isn't that what friends are for!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Seems Leigh almost beat Lister, and at the time, my father-in-law always told people Ron Hill Props were fast, and Leigh and Wolf, who ran DSh and died in his sleep that winter, John Stone and a few more New Yorkers were pitted by us...

Seems Leigh and larry Lister split heats in CSH and Lister won...My father-in-law gave Leigh the raspberries...but all in fun...

Last time I saw Leigh was at Second Effort, maybe 18 years ago!!

So, Val, you should have seen Leigh at Bakerfield...he also ran all the Mini Enduro races...

Thanks Ron. I had no idea Leigh was at Bakersfield in 1977. I should go through those pictures from then and see. (Don't get exicited - they are NOTHING like Wayne's marvelous pics. You can't do much with a 110 Instamatic! LOL)

About the time I met Leigh was about when I first saw the "Furnal Flyers" - the sst45 boats he built. I think the first one I saw was Gordie Miller's. Fast little boats! But a long time after the Bakersfield Nat's of 77.

John - I think I have a picture of your boat, and yes - that was a pretty one. Your Tom Cat wasn't the only one to end up in South America. We shipped quite a few of them down there - and also to Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Japan. My little Tom Cat (Hellkitten) went to Taiwan. My first Kober Kat went off to some South Pacific Island too. At that time, the South Pacific was hot for all the mini boats they could get.

We used to sell quite few to Japan, but then the boat orders suddenly stopped. Instead, the overseas distributor began to order the rigging parts in bulk: Steeing systems, cable, foot throttle, shifter, batteries - he would order 5 sets at a time - we knew then that somebody over there had made a splash (copy) of our boats. We never got any more boat orders from Japan after that.

I didn't see Leigh's accident, but I saw one very similar. At Highlands Texas about 1991 or 92, (or was it at the Austin IOGP race in 1995??? I can't remember) one of the 120 drivers blew over and landed back upright. What we didn't know was that the driver was knocked out and his kill switch never shut the engine off.

So when the boat suddenly started running again, the crowd cheering - falsely thinking the driver had so much bravery that he wanted finish even after looping it! While people were still clapping --- we saw the boat accelerate and kite up in the air AGAIN! It stood on its tail and did a pirhouette and then began running the WRONG way on the course

About that time, all the other boats were coming around and were horrified to see a boat COMING STRAIGHT AT THEM!

The boat kited again, and spun.......and restarted....then kited again and spun....and restarted. At one point it started heading straight for the spectators on the beach! Everyone started running....I even ran!

Finally, the amazing rescue crew (I think it was Kevin McCord - who still is head of rescue down there) they ran their rescue boat along side the errant boat and JUMPED onto the deck --- and finally reached in the cockpit to hit the kill switch.

They rushed the driver to the hospital, to find he only had a mild concussion. And he didn't remember a thing!

The next morning, he was at the driver's meeting, saying he was ready to go for it again! I remember Bob Schubert put his arm around him and said as they walked off, "You know, maybe it would be better if you sit this one out".

After the guy saw the replays of the accident on video, he agreed with that decision! He had no idea that all of that had gone on.

Does anyone else remember that? I just cannot remember the name of that driver.... He didn't race boats much after that, or at least I don't think I saw him race after that.
    Last edited by Miss BK; 05-18-2005 at 07:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK
    I didn't see Leigh's accident, but I saw one very similar. At Highlands Texas about 1991 or 92, (or was it at the Austin IOGP race in 1995??? I can't remember) one of the 120 drivers blew over and landed back upright. What we didn't know was that the driver was knocked out and his kill switch never shut the engine off.

So when the boat suddenly started running again, the crowd cheering - falsely thinking the driver had so much bravery that he wanted finish even after looping it! While people were still clapping --- we saw the boat accelerate and kite up in the air AGAIN! It stood on its tail and did a pirhouette and then began running the WRONG way on the course

About that time, all the other boats were coming around and were horrified to see a boat COMING STRAIGHT AT THEM!

The boat kited again, and spun.......and restarted....then kited again and spun....and restarted. At one point it started heading straight for the spectators on the beach! Everyone started running....I even ran!

Finally, the amazing rescue crew (I think it was Kevin McCord - who still is head of rescue down there) they ran their rescue boat along side the errant boat and JUMPED onto the deck --- and finally reached in the cockpit to hit the kill switch.

They rushed the driver to the hospital, to find he only had a mild concussion. And he didn't remember a thing!

The next morning, he was at the driver's meeting, saying he was ready to go for it again! I remember Bob Schubert put his arm around him and said as they walked off, "You know, maybe it would be better if you sit this one out".

After the guy saw the replays of the accident on video, he agreed with that decision! He had no idea that all of that had gone on.

Does anyone else remember that? I just cannot remember the name of that driver.... He didn't race boats much after that, or at least I don't think I saw him race after that.

Wow I can hear the music from “The Twilight Zone”

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1977 CSH Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Curtis
    Leigh was CSH National Champ in 1977, running a three bladed France wheel on one of the first boats he built. Larry Lister was second.
    Fred,

I thought so as well, but 2 things made me reluctant to say. 1) I wasn't there & 2) I really didn't really know Leigh until the early 80's when the 45 class started.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred, Thanks...

Seems, Lister won three in a row in CSH...I was thinking Bakersfield was the beginning of that "ROLL"...

Clark won DSH with a three blade, one of mine....I was second with a two blader...

I hear France won't make you a wheel if he thinks your are fast in A Hydro.....
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-18-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Thread Information