Thread: Raceboat and Switzer Wings

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bob Tompsom

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Alan Stinson was the driver who co-drove with Jerry Walin, in 1970, to win Parker by a foot...Stinson could drive that old DeSilva wing...

Anyway, I thought Allison boats were built by him (Alan Stinson)..Allison. It wasn't until about 1976 that I met Daris Allison...at Dayton, OHio...I kept asking if his name was really Allison...I wanted to know where Alan Stinson was!!!! Most of them boys in OHIO thought I was nuts...

Benny Robertson is one I'm not sure we have on the Who's Who section....but he needs to be added.

Just Add Water Team was owned by Bob Thompson of Indianapolis. Bob sponsored Kenny Stevenson, also, in the Molinari that Lou Eppel owned...that Art Kennedy drove...Not sure Bob ever raced, but he's a real gentleman...

Keep posting those great pictures...Outboard Bob...
    Bob T. drove twin Mc call 125 merc's SSpeedmaster's Iwas in ohio 1967 the Boat was about 16 or 17 ft. 18" sides water rougher then HH.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

nice shot of the AUS 05 NAT' you guys do any big bore stuff(850-1000cc)

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Though some of you guys might like this cartoon I found this morning in an old Roostertail publication.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default 68 Powerboat Magazine...Johnny Sanders

Maybe this picture inspired the cartoon???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Johnny,

Tell Leigh I don't take "SECOND HAND INFO" about racing facts...Tell him he has to post here himself...Then, I'll eat some humble pie....Love to hear from Leigh!!!!

ADD: Thanks for posting....

Got a nice e-mail from Dick O'Dea....
    Actually that was me typing the e-mail since dad always has someone type for him.. So it is actually 3rd hand info....

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1965 Stockton-Colusa Joe Stevens Jr.

Anyone remember the Stockton to Colusa and back race in the 60's in the Sacramento river? My dad Joe Stevens Sr. ran it several years in a row. I won UE two years in a row. 167 miles each way...in open river....plenty of hazards...I remember it was alot of fun but hard on the knees in this pretty little hydro....Joe Stevens Jr.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 02-04-2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: found picture

they say you only go around once, but I say if you go really really fast, you might just get around twice!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe Stevens Sr. Stylecraft Cat

Here are a couple of pics of my dads Stylecraft Cats...twin Mercs..stacks and speedmasters...These pics are circa 1965-67...he owned Inland Marine in Manteca Ca...and raced for a decade at least...mostly in Central Ca...Havasu, Parker, Salton Sea etc. As I recollect dad was leading the Havasu race in 1965 or 64 when he cut the corner by the launch area a bit tight very early in the race like lap 3...someone had a trailer in the water and sheared both lower units right in front of the announcing stand. That race was absolutely crazy the first couple of years. Unlimited meant exactly that you could show up with anything, and they did...many engines...no weight limit as I recall...the first year I raced it I think we lost more that 45 boats the first day. They were crashing, sinking, blowing apart, and breaking down all over the place. It was war...but so much fun I can't tell you....Joe Jr.
    Last edited by PowerCatHydroJoe; 02-04-2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: remembered something

they say you only go around once, but I say if you go really really fast, you might just get around twice!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great stuff

Keep them coming please . A lot of the younger people dont realize that this is what boat racing was about before tunnels and the factory sponsers got involved and drove the little guy out.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone remember the boat "Wizard" or have pics of. Johnny Sanders raced it in '84 at 3 rivers. I was there but I was only 8 and don't remember much of it. I was just thinking of it the other day. I do remember it had 2 motors and was very heavy in the back. They were 6's and he was racing against the single 8's

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats it, thanks for the memories

Thread Information