Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1932 HollyCraft wood race boat

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1932 HollyCraft wood race boat

I have a 1932 HollyCraft wood race boat with an Evinrude p500 460 pumper outboard. It is 13' and built in Hollywood, Calif. It is all original unrestored and been in storage. HollyCraft built racing outboards from 1928-1934. They went into building luxury boats. I am looking for any and all information I can find. Please let me know if you have or know anything about these boats or this company.
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

That is just too cool!! love the cleats and the trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a seat back?

All of the 2man runabout's I have seen are kneel down boats. Ron and russ Hill should have some history on this boat as they live out there and raced for ever. They should know who ran that no.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool.
    The engine looks like it's out of the 40's, the 4-60's from the 30's had cast in heads. Can't really tell but the lower unit looks like a club foot from the shape of the skeg, not a race gearcase, but cant tell. . Also looks like the tank mounts were made from some spare aluminum and the muffler was left off with the ports open. By the forties there were tank brackets that also had a very primitive form of exhaust tuner.
    The flywheel is the factory service flywheel which was used on the pumper and the Speedifour, but, Pumpers used a water outlet in a different location. The tank at least the paint, is a Speedifour. 4-60 Race motors used thinner, lighter weight flywheels. From the pictures you posted here it looks more like a Speedifour than a pumper. Still a 4 cylinder -60 cubic inch model just little subtle differences. 168 lbs of arm breaking jerk your wrists off whilst starting fun!

Look up the numbers through APBA it seems to me someone uses C-89 today, if you get lucky you could find a family member who could tell you a lot more that you might think... Post more pics!!!
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info. I posted more pics. I was told that the C in the C-89 was for California, but I've also had people tell me that was for C class. I added the motor, and bought it out of Florida and the seller said it was a pumper. I mounted the fuel tank and put the stacks on it and I added the water outlets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Very cool.
    The engine looks like it's out of the 40's, the 4-60's from the 30's had cast in heads. Can't really tell but the lower unit looks like a club foot from the shape of the skeg, not a race gearcase, but cant tell. . Also looks like the tank mounts were made from some spare aluminum and the muffler was left off with the ports open. By the forties there were tank brackets that also had a very primitive form of exhaust tuner.
    The flywheel is the factory service flywheel which was used on the pumper and the Speedifour, but, Pumpers used a water outlet in a different location. The tank at least the paint, is a Speedifour. 4-60 Race motors used thinner, lighter weight flywheels. From the pictures you posted here it looks more like a Speedifour than a pumper. Still a 4 cylinder -60 cubic inch model just little subtle differences. 168 lbs of arm breaking jerk your wrists off whilst starting fun!

Look up the numbers through APBA it seems to me someone uses C-89 today, if you get lucky you could find a family member who could tell you a lot more that you might think... Post more pics!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 53704 Here is a 1946 Evinrude 4-60 factory race engine I helped restore. It starts in 2 pulls cold. You can see the differences between your gear case and the racing case, and also the exhaust/tank mounts. The flywheel, and the water intakes are all different. The C in C-89 was California, as the 4-60 was used in the E and F class.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice looking boat. I personally like the number as that was my number on my 1100r for years . Surprised my buddy Bruce didnt recognize it lol, after all Mr. Summers Keith rode with me at Depue when we won lol.

Todd

Mr. Hixon - Sorry to side track the post hope you find your answer

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

I talke to Ralph Desilva about this boat.

He said that his dad John Desilva actually worked once in a while at the boat shop where these were made. He said they were not really race boats but more of a streamlined pleasure boat.
    I would call these the Aristocraft or Glastron of their day.

I would say Ralph was pretty accurate as this F-motor sure isn't set up for racing nor is the boat but very cool.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1932 hollycraft

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Weber View Post
    I talke to Ralph Desilva about this boat.

He said that his dad John Desilva actually worked once in a while at the boat shop where these were made. He said they were not really race boats but more of a streamlined pleasure boat.
    I would call these the Aristocraft or Glastron of their day.

I would say Ralph was pretty accurate as this F-motor sure isn't set up for racing nor is the boat but very cool.

Tim
    In 1932 this boat was called a racing runabout,In the real runabout outboard edition by bob speltz century had a boat very similar for 1932 called the whirlwind racing runabout they advertised it was built to handle motors from c to f with speeds to 50 mph,factory racing motors of the time could be very expensive, a 4-60 was about the same price of an automobile, very hard for your average guy to afford that just wanted to go racing.

Post Thanks / Like

jeff
    it appears you are getting a lot of good input on your boat. glad i sent you in to this web site.
    boat is very cool looking

julian

Thread Information