Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's the people that make racing

Post Thanks / Like

Sure glad to see all of the great replys and the mentioning of the non racing members doing so much to help make all of the racers day complete. Not to mention all of those racers that didnt always win on the course but were there weekend after weekend helping do whatever it took to get the race course set up torn down etc.
    Without them like mentioned above none of the races would happen. We all have those special people in our regions and I would like to thank all of those people from region 11 that helped put on the races so I could race and there are to many to mention. I helped out too but not to the extent many others have done and still are doing. Not to mention all of the other regions I have been to I want to Thank all of you as well regions 10, and 12. A Special thanks to all those that put on the USTS that really go over and beyond.
    There is someone I would like to recognize that is a non racer and is currently working his tail off with help of others no doubt and that is Dale Hoffert from Ill. He is putting alot of the Pro National info from years past for everyone to look back at. Dale thank you for all you have done and are currently still doing. If I could be of any assistance Im in just let me know. You are keeping the Pro Nationals from years past still alive and bringing back many fond memories.

Todd

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I second your thoughts on Dale Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

A big thanks to you to Wayne I know your one of those helping Dale. Im just not sure who all the othere are and didnt want to leave anyone out.

Post Thanks / Like

"Then there was the guy from Northern California (I think it was Art ??) He was 80 years old when I was a kid. He had a small crane on his trailer to unload his 'C' Service Runabout. I don't recall him ever winning, but he was at every race by himself." His name was Art Nunes from Maxwell or was it Newman CA. Never had a pit crew -never asked for help and was one of the first ever to make a cart to place his rig in the water. His hull, the numbers on his rig and lettering on his trailer bespoke of its and his racing origins in the 1930s.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks to all !!!!!!!

Yes , Todd , there are many people to thank. Let me start by says that as a member of the DePue Mens Club may job has always been to run a safety/pickup boat during the races. I have been fortunate during the years to make many friends out on the water. While the races are going on I like to stay in the corners and talk to the turn judges. The conversations have been informative and fun. Guys like David Mitchell , Doug Hall , Sean McKeen , Mark Borges , Mike Krier, and Zach Malhoit , just to name a few. I have enjoyed talking family , racing and odds and end with Jean Tennell as she is out talking many of her fantastic pictures. Guys like yourself and Alan Ishi who I communicate with frequently , and many others to numerous to mention.

As far as the stuff I am doing , there are many people to thank and hopefully many more to come. Let me say this all started with my quest to collect all the programs from the past Nationals on Lake DePue and has expanded from there. Wayne Baldwin and John Schubert were probably the first guys who sent me stuff. From old heat sheets and final standing sheets to other odds and ends. Most of the Propeller magazine stuff has come from racer and historian RC Hawie from Florida and without the help of Bill Hostler and Ralph Donald I would not have made that contact. Bill Van Steenwyk has helped out with contacts , phone numbers and e-mails which have really been a help. Lately , Bruce Summers has hoped on board with old Propeller magazines, some pictures and other stuff from the Outboard Motor Club of Chicago. Not sure how many guys remember Jerry Toovey from DePue , he was director of the committee in 1961 and he gave literally a binder full of stuff from the first Nationals in DePue in 1961. I am sure I have left somebody out and I am sorry if I did.

There is always room for more and if anybody would like to add anything just let me know - dhoffert@mchsi.com or dale_hoffert@yahoo.com. Most of what I have received has just been scanned and emailed to me. I will have everything at the races in DePue this summer for all to see. So come look for it at the PA tent where Ray announces the races during testing Wednesday and Thursday.

So again a BIG THANK YOU to everybody that has helped me to keep the history of the ALKY/PRO Nationals on Lake DePue alive. I hope there is a lot more to come

Thread Information