Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get rid of tiller steering torque?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I get rid of tiller steering torque?

Running a 3cyl 40 Merc with the cav plate about 3in out of the water. The motor is a tiller steer and if seems like there is a crazy amount of torque steer happening. Ive seen some videos of the srg and bugalusa fast boats and wonder how they can run so fast with that kind of torque steer.

Is there any way to keep the tiller from steering so hard to the right or get some kind of steering assist system?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omcstratos View Post
    Running a 3cyl 40 Merc with the cav plate about 3in out of the water. The motor is a tiller steer and if seems like there is a crazy amount of torque steer happening. Ive seen some videos of the srg and bugalusa fast boats and wonder how they can run so fast with that kind of torque steer.

Is there any way to keep the tiller from steering so hard to the right or get some kind of steering assist system?
    I've heard of people either twisting the skeg a little or you could put a little bondo wedge on the skeg
    Poor Boy Racing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Seen some guys on here fab up a bracket to run a stabilizer from the motor then to the transom of there boat, basically it's a chock/steering stabilizer off a car. One guy on here use a Benz stabilizer on his motor said it worked really well. Search on here I know theres a picture some where.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat001 View Post
    I've heard of people either twisting the skeg a little or you could put a little bondo wedge on the skeg
    Yeah, I just looked up bob's machine and they make a torque tab that works kind of like the mercury torquemaster gearcases. It seems kinda cheap, I may try it

Post Thanks / Like

Default They Will Increase Your Speed, Too!

Quote Originally Posted by omcstratos View Post
    Yeah, I just looked up bob's machine and they make a torque tab that works kind of like the Mercury Torquemaster gearcases. It seems kinda cheap, I may try it
    They may look "Cheap" but you can weld them and epoxy them on and they will cut down torque. But they also make you go faster becasue your gearcase goes through the water straighter.

I don't sell them (Torque Tab), but have made my own just by welding a bead up the skeg and epoxying the cup in it. I usually make the cup too large, then file it back til the torque is neutral.

Good luck, it is worth the effort!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bungees ARE GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Roflhat View Post
    Bungees are good especially in a class were stock gearcases are required.

For the Enduro.....on our V-6's were run bungees and also the torque "TAMER"...

For myself, I always ran both. Now days with JPS's and On Board computers, figuring out speeds should be more "work", but results would be easier to prove.

What is nice about an ON BOARD computer is it doesn't take much room. After trying different things, you can down load the information and race one "Set up" with the other.

This is Chad's water proof computer. He controls it from outside the water proof box. Chad has improved our Signature Propellers performance by noticeable amounts by testing with the on board computer.

This is a little off subject, but testing is the answer to speed increases and torque reduction!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

THE torque tab does help but I can tell you when I had 1 installed on a 40 merc I lost 3 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    They may look "Cheap" but you can weld them and epoxy them on and they will cut down torque. But they also make you go faster becasue your gearcase goes through the water straighter.

I don't sell them (Torque Tab), but have made my own just by welding a bead up the skeg and epoxying the cup in it. I usually make the cup too large, then file it back til the torque is neutral.

Good luck, it is worth the effort!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, I'd Raise the Motor Up

Well figures don't lie. If that happened:

1. I'd file some of the tab off
    2. I'd raise the motor

Did it reduce torque???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I removed the tab that was installed after removing some of the cup on the tab, straighten the tab alittle at a time then just cut it off and gained back the 3 mph. The motor was jacked up with a chopper prop and i had to put 1 foot on the side of the boat wall, and 1 hand on the side wall of the boat to keep the motor kinda going straight. Even tried 3 bungee cord to help keep the motor straight but then i had to force to the left to keep boat running straight.

Thread Information