Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yamato 302 Watering Discharge Hoses

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamato 302 Watering Discharge Hoses

What is the best setup for the discharge on the watering system?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default discharge hose

Quote Originally Posted by TOG Racing View Post
    What is the best setup for the discharge on the watering system?
    I have a Yamato 80 on a A/B runabout. What I did on mine was simply put a clear (see through) tube on the outlet nipple located on the side of the power-head. I used a piece about a foot or so and supported it with hose brackets held by the exhaust port cover bolts. I just looped it and fixed it, such that the water would shoot out away from the motor and I would be able to see it, while under way. If the tube is stubborn and wants to aim toward the motor, just put a small piece of bendable tubing in the end of the tube so it can be aimed and clamp it. Always use clear tube so you can see debris that may clogg the line, fix it so you can see it work when you need, and aim away from the engine. You'll be set.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe Off Topic

Does the APBA rule require any water line size? Owning 5 Yamato motors as I do, and planning to "LOAN" them out, I'd like th think they will have plenty of water and I was thinking of having a water line so the driver could see if the motor had pressure.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default water line size

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Does the APBA rule require any water line size? Owning 5 Yamato motors as I do, and planning to "LOAN" them out, I'd like th think they will have plenty of water and I was thinking of having a water line so the driver could see if the motor had pressure.
    I don't recall ever seeing any rule on line size in the rules of stock/mod tech specs from APBA. I am slowly rigging up to get started in racing myself, hopefully in the next year or two. I'm going B-MOD runabout with a Yamato-80 I restored. I have looked at the rules quite often. I would recommend to keep the inside diameter the same with a clear line. That should be o.k.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no rule on the size of watering hose you can use. I have two yamatos, one I have the watering hoses looped upward and attached to the side of the fuel tank so they're facing to the rear. The other I simply attached the to my steering bar. While racing I tend to take a peek at them to make sure I don't see steam coming out. The motor with the hoses attached to the steering bar is a little easier to see
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  PB192421.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  173.0 KB

Here is the way we do it. This particular motor has a fuel pump so there is no tank or bracket to use. Note elbow on one hose to direct water discharge out for better visibility. Hoses should be above the powerhead to better keep water in the block during moments when none is being fed in. There is also a tiny hole drilled in both of the elbows exiting the exhaust cover to allow water to drain after the engine is shut off. That may not be absolutely necessary as it still should drain from the hole in the bottom of the block into the towerhousing.

Thread Information