Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 1970 E & T Tunnel Racer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beale Tilton View Post
    Joe was running a box stock 49 cubic inch Mercury by Brunswick Corp. A short shaft engine A fishing engine if you will with a stock lower unit. That's all that was allowed in the Sport E class. Had to have forward and reverse. Props by Mercury. Don't remember the rated horsepower, seems it was somewhere between 65 and 75. He was kneeling, no power trim.
    Ok.

Do you remember what kind of speeds Joe was getting?

I hit 68 mph with a 13 3/4 x 23 pitch mercury quicksilver prop - stock merc 115 lower unit.

I was only doin maybe about 50 mph when the hump deck stood up on me - it was a gust of head on wind that grabbed the boat while it was running on the rear tips of the sponsons.

Rick
    How we build changes with time - the fact that we build is more important.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Pretty sure that's a regular 65. The special ones had red decals and I think the front had no chrome color.
    Sam,

I think I found a pic of that red stripe motor you were talking about.......from www.oldmercs.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that motor was legal in SE when it came out in 1975
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Yes, that motor was legal in SE when it came out in 1975
    Yep - The original motor on my tunnel was the 72 model with blue stripes - so like Beale said it was a fishin motor with the stock lower unit for the Sport E class.

Wonder how much pitch Joe was able to run??

The speeds for Sport E must have been about 60- 70 mph.

With the stock lower unit you could only raise the motor a couple of inches without a low water pick up - and dont do too much bouncing or hopping with the pick up raised - that motor will burn up in no time with the water pump starved. Ive seen some guys block off the upper half of the pick up opening to help keep the water pump from starving.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Uncropped Pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Beale Tilton View Post
    Rick,
    I don't know where it was taken either, Not sure if that isn't Joe's first boat. One thing for sure is he is a long way from being in the throttle, just lopeing. That's Bobby Taylor in the Allison.
    Think the prop shaft was at or slightly obove the bottom of the hulls. No pictures and no plans on paper. Sorry.
    Beale,

He's is the "uncropped" pic from the museum.

There are a couple of more boats in the pic - can you identify them as well?

Theres a black pickle fork boat # X 1, and another blue n white Allison.............

Yep - Joe is def off the throttle all right - wonder if he was about to "jump" a start?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1970 E&T Tunnel Hull

I need to get my boat restored.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bajarick View Post
    I need to get my boat restored.
    Suggest you contact Bill Edwards the E of E&T in California, Md. He has restored several E&Ts in the last couple of years which are being campaigned in the Vintage shows. Love to see that boat running Vintage. It's the only one we built like that.

Would like to find the 13 ft sit down tunnel we built if anyone knows it's whereabouts.

Post Thanks / Like

590 is Bobby Taylor from Princess Ann, MD. X1 is a Scatcraft, driver unknow Blue and white Allison, can't make out number, may be Rayner Blair 835.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Hey Beale!!

[QUOTE=Beale Tilton;144182]Suggest you contact Bill Edwards the E of E&T in California, Md. He has restored several E&Ts in the last couple of years which are being campaigned in the Vintage shows. Love to see that boat running Vintage. It's the only one we built like that.

Would like to find the 13 ft sit down tunnel we built if anyone knows it's whereabouts.[/QUO

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Its been a long time man.

Hope everything is well with you

I been watching Bill's Antique Regatta at Dennis Point Menace video.

I love watching him race the #1937 - super funny seeing him with the dunce cap after taking a couple of extra laps and getting the flare warning.

What 13 ft sit down tunnel are you talking about?

...and yes, I would love to bring my boat to a few of these races, but its needs a LOT of work AND an engine.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

The last 13 ft tunnel we built was full tunnel sit down with the last deck and transom of the 15 footers Rayner Blair won many races and set some records with it. By far the best 13 we built. Love to find it. Rayner is running a 15 with a 1500XS and I'm running the last version of our vee bottom in Vintage. Bill bought the 1969 vee for $100 in a junk yard and restored it. Some of the appearence is beyond correction, runs well. See all three boats in the pictures at Classic Race Boats 2014 Fall Event. Fun times.
    Possible Vintage event at Leonardtown next August.
    Rick would like your phone number.
    beale3342@aol.com
    Thanks
    Last edited by Beale Tilton; 12-16-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Add information

Thread Information