Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 1970 E & T Tunnel Racer

Post Thanks / Like

Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to look. I guess all the glory goes to the bigger boats this time It was exciting to see all of the boat pics you provided.
    E & T built some GREAT looking boats. They look way cooler than ALL the others - especially the round and flat deck pickles. I think these boats look a LOT better than the closed cockpit boats you see in SST and F-1 today.

I noticed you live in the VA area. I live in Baltimore and I visit the St Marys, MD area regularly. My hull is down there now - waiting for me to start fixing it up. I plan to pull the boat out here to Baltimore over the winter to get started. Do you have any of your old boat stuff laying around (like a Twister, XS Merc, or OMC)...props...racing lower units...etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has been racer

Rick
    St Marys!! I did most of my racing and had the most fun in southern, Maryland. Raced in the big cities of Hollywood, Bushwood, Tall Timbers, Ables Whartf, Piney Point, Lexington Park and others. I live in Whitestone, Va. about 4 hours from Baltimore. Raced 15 years and hated to quit. I have been sick and I quess I am retaired. I have what I call a small outbord museum here with all my racing stuff. I collect old outboards. Sadley I always had to sell a race boat to get the next one. Ended up with no boats but I am looking for 15 foot E&T like I raced. I am restoring a Merc T1 and have a SST120 engine. I have speedmaster unit, super speedmaster, and the latest V1 SST120 gear case. Your welcome to come down anytime to look just let me know ahead of time.
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Ray,
    I was never a racer (but love to go fast - heck Id even get into a race if I knew where / how), but my folks have a summer home in Abell, MD. Not sure how well you remember the area, but if you are entering St Patrick's creek (off St Clemets Bay), the house is still on the right side (opposite Colton's Point). St Clemets Island is out to the RIGHT of the house when standing in the front door - facing the water. Ive been to Leonardtown, Lexington Park, Piney Point, Tall Timbers,....heck, I STILL fish at Bushwood and all those places. Bushwood is around the corner in the Wycomico River.

My current rig is a Baja 186 Sport with a 200Evinrude XP, foot throttle, nose cone, hydraulic jack plate, and a 14 x 26 Turbo prop. Fast - but I miss riding my E& T with the Merc!

I taught the kids how to waterski this past summer, went fishing and tubing, and crawled around on St Clemets Island!

My folks were teachers in DC, therefore, I spent all my summers in Abell until I was about 13. Im 43 now and I remember people talking about races in the area but my dad wasnt into boat racing and I didnt get to see any of it.

In 1982 I had a chance to buy the E & T from a guy named Andy that worked at Kather Marina (still there) in St Patrick's Creek for $200. I rigged and old Evinrude 4 cylinder to it and rode it around a bit - had no idea what I was doing - but it was a blast. The controls of that old motor rusted out and the boat sat for years - I mean like 17 yrs! Then one day I got an itch to get it running again. It was in remarkably good condition...just a little weathering of the deck - as you can see from the pics it still has the same colors it had when it was raced. I fixed it up and got it running in '98 - I got it to hit 70mph with the 115 Merc - before the transom let go. Just a few days ago I had a thought to post some pics of the old E & T to see if anyone recognized the boat. Well what do you know - looks like I started a riot!

Id like to get all the old E & T boats (that still exist) together some day.

Hopefully, others will read these threads and respond.

I would love to get to your place and check out your museum! Sounds like a gold mine! Id love to talk about set up and driving tips, etc.. Im looking for a short shaft 90/100 hp Merc with power trim. A racing lower and prop to bolt to it would really add to my restoration. The Merc in the pics was a long shaft with a nose cone - but that was totally wrong! It was taking too long to find a short shaft so I bought a long shaft from a guy right down the road from me and jacked it up with a jack plate.....threw the center of gravity way off and stressed the transom.

Email me at rick_cole@hotmail.com and we'll exchange addresses and stuff.

I plan on calling Bill Edwards for help too. He is still in the MD area according to Beale. He is supposed to still be in the business.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1970 E & T Tunnel

Rick,
    Bolts and knees don't sound right. Take the boat to Bill, let him advise.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark75H; 09-28-2005 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Rick
    Oh I forgot Leonardtown! I ran my first race at Abells in 1971. You need a short shaft engine for that boat. Thats why you broke the transom. To much motor up in the air, bad strain on the old transom. That boat was built for 3 cly OMC 65,70,75hp or 4 cly Merc 80, 85hp all short shaft. you dont need big 6 clyinder power to make it go fast. I would be happy to talk racing any time. e mail nwlumpkin@yahoo.com.
    Remember the older I get the faster I was
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just an FYI

In this case short shaft equals 15".

I agree with Ray on "the older I get, the faster I was".

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys.
    I knew I needed a short shaft, but I was too impatient to find one. There just werent any to be found locally at the time. I bought the Land and Sea "Step-N-Jack". It raises the motor up by 5-7 inches. That put the prop at about the right height - but added stress to the transom - and screwed up the center of gravity. Wish I knew you guys back then! I would probably still be running right now.

I love this site!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet pic Beale !

Is that an E & T hull? What mota is on the back? Looks kinda' like a Twister or sumpthin' ??

Its a hot lookin' boat man! Tell us about it a lil' bit! Is that a first place finish?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ive got some more pics. they are not that great i took pics of pic with dig camera. somebody post an email address and I'll send you what I have

Post Thanks / Like
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information