Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FD-53 Acquired

Post Thanks / Like

Default FD-53 Acquired

Thank you Joe Johnson for parting with this treasure!

Engine is FD-53. Originally purchased by Dick O'Dea. I received the engine over the course of a couple weeks and just received the complete powerhead yesterday. I just had time to mock it up yesterday. It came with Generation 2 elbows and megaphones and Fairbanks ignition. Tower is a Mark 40H and the gearfoot is a real gem D-Quickie. The carbs aren't Model N's, but Joe told me they came with the motor when he acquired it. They appear to be NOS. Tillotson WB-1As. I plan on finding 2 Carters and converting them to floatless. I also plan on using a Merc 650 CD ignition on the engine. Furthermore, with regard to internals I plan on replacing main top and lower bearings (previously needles were done and engine was never started after), new rings, reeds converted to Boyensen (i'll need guidance on that), and converting the regular rods inside to alky H beam rods that I recently acquired.

I am having a friend recreate the Carter carb throttle bracket for me and we may both be going to CD ignition (he has a 44ci Looper) so we may both need a plate to attach the CD ignition and coil to, which he can also fabricate. Not sure yet if I am going to use a stick tower, a 55H tower, or the 40H tower that it came with. I really like the all aluminum look of the engine, but have a feeling a restored cream colored 55H tower would also look great, decisions... The plan is to run this for demonstration purposes in flybys and such on my F Sidson. This baby needs to be HEARD! I think that's about it for now. As this becomes the next project near the end of the summer I will be asking a lot of questions. I have already been in contact with some people who raced these and I am truly honored. This acquisition is a dream come true and I know this is going to be an amazing and fun project.

Name:  9fbc4de1-c94a-4d7e-bbf9-15937c70d8c5_zpsb74d2aa9.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  328.9 KB

Name:  e86890c4-ed4f-41a7-8553-8c083479caea_zps9fbddbaa.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  321.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find you have there.
    I spoke with Paul Christner earlier today. He confirmed the engine was indeed sold to Dick O'Dea.
    Dick is certainly a legend in our sport
    You can be proud to own an engine that once belonged to him.
    A word of advice, Do not run that engine on the 40-H tower housing.
    BTW: There is more to the cream colored down housings than just paint.
    Good luck trying to find one.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gene,

Thanks for giving me the info. This looper is a full circle for us. When my father was young, in the mid 70s he went to Dick to have him work on a quickie foot for him. That foot was from a KG7-Q that was the first merc in our collection and started this madness. I was thinking that I would not use the 40H tower because I had heard they were not the strongest, but was waiting for someone to chime in. Is a 55H tower ok? Or should I only use a stick tower for it?

Also, do you happen to know if Paul got my email? He told me to contact him via email when I had the engine in hand.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend a welded steel housing, but I don't know who to recommend. Larry McAffee builds as good a tower as any I've seen, but I'm not sure he is selling any.

There are probably several reputable makers who view this forum. Perhaps some one will contact you

I believe Paul received your e-mail since he contacted me regarding your situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gene. I have a stick tower that I use on my 55H mod engine, but I guess I could use another. When it's ready to go I will use that tower. I look forward to Paul getting in touch with me.

Edit: I noticed some numbers etched into the block right above the quincy serial number and those same numbers on the exhaust elbows on the right side.

#1 cylinder: .490
    #2 cylinder: .487
    #3 cylinder: .520
    #4 cylinder: .485

What do these numbers reference?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing those are bore sizes. Standard bore is 2.440".

Post Thanks / Like

Please post pictures of your H-beam rods and the rods currently installed in the engine. What many of us call H-beam rods are obsolete and NOT suitable for the HP this engine will produce.

I need to see the rod caps and the cap bolts as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Gene,

I won't have access to the parts and engine until this next weekend. I will get you photos of the rods, to the best of my ability of those that are in the engine. The ones in the engine seem like standard 600-4 rods (solid end caps, not the 3 hole kind). The engine is completely assembled. I'll do my best to get a good picture, but I am not at the point yet where I am ready to dissemble the engine. I have easy access to the H beam rods though, so we can start there. I'm very interested to find out more about these H beam rods. I might just be misusing terminology, these certainly appear a lot stronger (wider, thicker, and "flat" instead of "rounded" like standard 600-4 beams). Of course I've been wrong before, haha. Thanks a lot.

ADDITION: just remembered there is a thread here on BRF about rods which is where I got my understanding of the rods from. Here is the link, the heavy duty rods I have look like the rod on the left in the picture Sam provided:

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...reated-equally

Post Thanks / Like

The rods you should use are NOT machined straight across the cap but have a rounded recessed area. The head of the cap bolt is forged to fit that recessed area. All the rods that are machined straight across are designed for engines in the 50HP and under range and WILL BREAK at the edge of the machined area when subjected to the increased HP of a Looper. That is why I want to see a picture of the rods in the engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I'll get those photos for you.

Thread Information