Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FD-53 Acquired

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I mentioned the Mark 25 cage was because of a post I found on the website by Frank Volker which is as follows and seems to back up what John is saying:

"The crankshaft padding goes back to the deflector days and carried through to the flatheads. The intent was most likely to decrease crankcase volume. I believe it was done on both 20H and MK-25 Cshafts. The 20H shafts soon became a mechanical weak spot in the flatheads; not because of welding, but because of the small cross-section of the center bearing. Eventually, all FA's and FB's used MK 25 shafts. At about the same time, we went to the special-made heavy duty rod caps and lighter flywheels. I seem to recall that even the early FB's used the '25 Cshafts." (5/8/2008)

The application I am speaking of is for an "A" looper specifically. So my question is, can the Mark 25 (non-20H undercut center bearing style) crank "unmodified" be used in the A and B loopers? If modifications were required of the cranks what was necessary to make it work. I was intrigued by the Mark 25 crankshaft idea because they are,

a) more plentiful (less expensive) than their 20H counterparts
    b) are in my personal opinion stronger

This is all really interested either way.

P.S. Steve I will take you up on both offers in the not too distant future: reed cage modification (if we determine that I can do so) and the rings.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are/ want to use a Mk 25 shaft, then yes a Mk 25 cage can be made for the Quincy case. It is best to have the case as a lot of motors were cut on and s standard cage will require hand fitting to match up, but either way is good by me. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. Yes I have an outstanding Mark 25 crankshaft candidate that I am hoping to use.

Post Thanks / Like

An update, having rings fitted for FD-53 in the near future

Post Thanks / Like

Well some disappointing news with regard to FD-53. I had sent the engine to have some minor repairs done, such as helicoils and welding, bores checked, and then reassembled. Steve emailed me today that the upper reedcage is shot, it has a large amount of slop between the crank journal and reedcage surface. Due to this issue, the reedcage apparently grooved into the journal. I am exploring all options, but it looks like I will have to have the crank replaced as well as a reedcage bored and modified to fit the Quincy engine. Additionally, looks like this engine was run and run hard, but put away wet. Steve has noticed some fuel/water marks on some areas of the engine. Well, it needs to be right, no complaining here as once it is ready it will run and run great. More updates to follow.

Post Thanks / Like

After a replaced crank, new reed cage, and being reassembled by Steve the engine is back home. Spent some time making new gaskets and opening up some of the holes on the tower and adapter plate which were just a little off. Fuel pumps are internally and cosmetically cleaned and the horns are installed. I started cleaning the carbs and opened them up to make sure that all the internal parts and their sizes are equal between the two. The pair I had set aside were indeed exactly the same between the two. I have a carter throttle bracket for the engine which I painted and is now installed. It has been suggested I remove one of the springs from each pipe and replace with wire to save them in case the springs break. Here are some photos.

Name:  5DF6AE20-8E8B-463E-A0B0-CB4180AAE95D_zpsod2gqx2r.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  138.3 KB

Name:  519C7268-3B6D-4362-A7F9-6F1237BFDE62_zpsct0rweul.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  131.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Did Steve safety wire those reed cage bolts???

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Did Steve safety wire those reed cage bolts???

J-Dub
    Yup.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

I have had my *** chewed for this in the past... As a public service, and as a smart -*** friend, I have taken the time to locate and attach the following informational video for you, pay close attention at 30 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6uaRvFpXM

I hope you find this helpful,
    Your friend ,
    J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Steve,

I have had my *** chewed for this in the past... As a public service, and as a smart -*** friend, I have taken the time to locate and attach the following informational video for you, pay close attention at 30 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6uaRvFpXM

I hope you find this helpful,

Your friend ,
    J-Dub
    yes I did, and can you tell me what the letter KMRNA is???? Buddddie???? Piston is coming to you tomorrow in a fresh box of Cow SH C.O.D.! Steve

Thread Information