Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FD-53 Acquired

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ran many of these rods both with the extra I beam and the normal 600-4 solid caps. Motor will wind quicker than with the heavy ones. A round hole and good bolts are a must. a guy asked me one time many years ago if a Merc/ Quincy could turn 11,000 rpm's, I said yes but just once! A rod that has bolts receive a lot of stress at the parting line and the bolts will shear. That is why late type split rods are of the cracked cap design with good bolts that thread into the rod body. A bolt and nut type stretches and also has clearance for the bolt to pass through the beam. This allowes the cap to move or pinch the rollers. The cracked cap design hold the cap fro moving while the bolt holds it all together. If there were room enough a simple dowel at the bolt holes will greatly improve this shearing motion but then there is the rod deflection problem to solve as well. The shorter the rod length i think the worse the problem. I ran just normal 600-4 rods as long as I ran Flatheads until i bought my first Konig in 72 or so. The heavy rods look nice but really look at them, all they do is have the I beam the same hight as the big and little end, Big whoop, i'll take the weight savings any day and take some of the strain off of the bolts. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

All good points Steve. I used to think that a pressed crank/rods assembly was dumb. That just showed how dumb I was.

We tried to run a rotating mass 9,000-10,000 rpm when it was only designed for 6,000. However, the records show this under spec'ed
    assembly did an admirable job for longer than anyone had the right to expect.

The day I first met John Dortch (May 30, 1958) I noticed a picture in his trailer of an exploded 20-H.
    Below the picture was the caption, "Resolved never to exceed 8,500 RPM again"!

If Chris had built the Z engines a few years earlier, Konig may not have become quite so dominate over Quincy during the 70s

Post Thanks / Like

Dad sent me an email today. Says that on the top of the engine, other than "Dick O'Dea", "D Pro", engraved in the powerhead there are two other names. "Howard Shaw" on the powerhead and on the top of the top cylinder head "Heads by Myers". I have heard of Howard Shaw, but I am not sure who Myers is. Interested in the history.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure who Myers is. Perhaps someone can fill us in.

Post Thanks / Like

John Myers is my Dad. He ran Quincy's out here in the Northwest for years. He acually got Howard Shaw into racing in the early 60's. Somewhere there is a picture of my Dad anh Howard side by side in BRR with their Loopers. Eventually that lead Howard to but an FD and I believe a 44 Looper as well when Dad rode for Howard in FRR for several years. Dad built many of the engines Howard raced through the years. I remember Joe Johnson calling me about those markins on that engine, my Dad got a good chuckle outta that.
    Unfortunately, we lost my Dad a few weeks ago from a stroke... He left us with with likely one of the largest Quincy collections known. I believe the count is 5 A Loopers (including engine # FA-1), 3 B Loppers, a D Looper, besides a couple Quincy Deflectors as well.

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. I had heard about your father and am sorry for your loss. I am glad he relayed this information to you as I feel it important to know the history of the sport and the pedigree of these treasures.

Post Thanks / Like

J-Dub,

I thought we were talking about your Dad, but I didn't want to give incorrect information.

The story you told recently about his response to the smell of a used megaphone while he was so very ill was very touching. It brought tears to my eyes.

Please give us the name of the thread where we can all read it again.

Lake Paradise will be great when WE get there and get to be reunited with the heroes of our sport

Post Thanks / Like

Is Dick O'Dea doing well? I had been in regular contact with him last spring and haven't heard from him in response to a recent email (I think I sent him another email a couple months back too). Thanks

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJuby View Post
    Is Dick O'Dea doing well? I had been in regular contact with him last spring and haven't heard from him in response to a recent email (I think I sent him another email a couple months back too). Thanks
    Brandon,

I sent him one as well a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard back either. I'll try again.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

John,

I was wondering when you would chime in.

Did you ever drive the engine we're talking about?

Are you coming to DePue?

Thread Information