Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FD-53 Acquired

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJuby View Post
    Why do some looper heads have the hole for the spark plug in the middle of the "dome" and others have it offset? Is there an advantage one way or the other? Which was created later? Thanks.
    The theory behind the offset is/ was that if the squish band covered more of one side of the piston more than the other, The side that had more covering would run cooler. That is why if you noticed, flatheads have a chamber and squish offset away from the exhausts. On a four cylinder top cylinder was more toward the top of cylinder. and # 2 was toward the bottom of cylinder. same arrangement for the 3 and 4 cylinder. Did it work????? Yea but at a power loss somewhat. Boy I guess I will catch hell for that one now. hehehe, Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loopers

Started cleaning parts on the Looper collection so that I can inventory and reassemble the ones that are disassembled. In all I have 14 Loopers. 1 A (FA-88) from Champion spark plug, 3 B's (one Dick O'Dea), 2 C's, 4 D's, 2 E's (44 cubic inch) and 2 F's (one Bruce Summers). Along with this assortment I have a D and E Quincy cross flow set of engines that have been restored. Also in the Quincy collection is a 20-H MOD engine with a Quincy tank. The intent is to restore all the Quincy engines to running condition. Most of the work will be will be a winter project or projects. Right now Doug Kay has four of the engines up his way for restoration.

Alan

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Aeroliner;132574]Started cleaning parts on the Looper collection so that I can inventory and reassemble the ones that are disassembled. In all I have 14 Loopers. 1 A (FA-88) from Champion spark plug, 3 B's (one Dick O'Dea), 2 C's, 4 D's, 2 E's (44 cubic inch) and 2 F's (one Bruce Summers). Along with this assortment I have a D and E Quincy cross flow set of engines that have been restored. Also in the Quincy collection is a 20-H MOD engine with a Quincy tank. The intent is to restore all the Quincy engines to running condition. Most of the work will be will be a winter project or projects. Right now Doug Kay has four of the engines up his way for restoration.
    Alan,

What is the serial number of the Dick O'Dea looper. Typically, any motor sold to Dick by Quincy, whether complete motor or parts as Dick usually did final assembly, were for customers of his. This could very well be one of mine. We bought our parts from Dick, my father did all the CC grinding, I did final assembly. Also where did it come from?
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loopers

Hi John,
    I bought a collection this past winter and it was part of the sale. It was located up in Wisconsin. I will be going to the shop shortly and get the numbers of the two there.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default B Looper

Hi John,
    The engine is FB-231 as identified by Paul.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Hi John,
    The engine is FB-231 as identified by Paul.

Alan
    Paul,

I assume that you monitor this thread, what was the date that Dick O'Dea purchased this motor?

Alan,

Did that collection come from a guy now in Tomahawk? His name escapes me at the moment. Is it Dick something?
    Last edited by John Schubert T*A*R*T; 07-05-2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: grammar error

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    The theory behind the offset is/ was that if the squish band covered more of one side of the piston more than the other, The side that had more covering would run cooler. That is why if you noticed, flatheads have a chamber and squish offset away from the exhausts. On a four cylinder top cylinder was more toward the top of cylinder. and # 2 was toward the bottom of cylinder. same arrangement for the 3 and 4 cylinder. Did it work????? Yea but at a power loss somewhat. Boy I guess I will catch hell for that one now. hehehe, Steve
    I always wondered about this on production engines...
    V6 merc and OMC loopers in the middle
    the old 49ci and the sst45 offset as above, late model 45ci one piece head still offset - why?
    2nd effort looper heads have replaceable chambers are offset - cant remember which way?

Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone here be able to do themselves or recommend someone to turn a standard Mark 25 reed cage into a looper cage? I assume I could use a Mark 25 cage as the base. Who might be able to machine this and what might it cost. Or would it be easier to hunt for an actual looper cage.

Thanks for any info.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brandon, First off there are not looper cages for say. They were Merc cages modified by Quincy for their motors. I will look but the MK 25 cage may not be able to be made to a A or B motor cage as the center main may be too close to size for boring and fitting the roller set up like the 20H motor. Quincy used 20H shafts with roller center mains, so the info I have is in my shop. If a Mk 25 cage can be made then yes I can do this work. Cost is time and set up just like back in the day. Four cylinder motors used std merc cages modified for flathead use. Also you sent a private mesage to me about rings. I can make what you need. I need to know bore size to be sure I have or can get material for this. Rings are 40.00 ea. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    Brandon, First off there are not looper cages for say. They were Merc cages modified by Quincy for their motors. I will look but the MK 25 cage may not be able to be made to a A or B motor cage as the center main may be too close to size for boring and fitting the roller set up like the 20H motor. Quincy used 20H shafts with roller center mains, so the info I have is in my shop. If a Mk 25 cage can be made then yes I can do this work. Cost is time and set up just like back in the day. Four cylinder motors used std merc cages modified for flathead use. Also you sent a private mesage to me about rings. I can make what you need. I need to know bore size to be sure I have or can get material for this. Rings are 40.00 ea. Steve
    Steve, not necessarily true. We used MK25 cranks & reed cages in our "B" Loopers. O'Dea made the Looper reed cages for us from the Mark 25's reed cages. WE liked the MK25 cranks because they were stronger in the center not having the under cut for the bearings. I guess they worked OK as I won the "B" nationals in 1968.

Thread Information