Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any mods for a '12 Evinrude Etec 60

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HGipson View Post
    Well as for my SlowTec 60, I'm putting the motor on a 1648 War Eagle actually a little lighter than my last boat, would a CMC Manual Jack plate say 4" or 5.5" be better. As of right now I'm running a bow lifter high rake prop. Wondering if my hole shot on that particular boat will be better or worse. Right now its mounted on the transom level cav plate with bottom and hole shot is fair so could be better.
    yes,, 4.5 to 5 works good. the rule of thum is for every 2inch of set back u can rise motor 1inch,,,, get that cav plate above bottom of boat, your hole shot should improve, depending on prop. do some testing with different props and heights,,,, with the gear ratio u got u going to have to get a bigger diameter prop or get some more pitch to make up for that, If your prop dia is ok,,,, then play with pitch.
    Let it all Hang out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't know that I appreciate it! I'm going to get the 5.5" if I can break my kids piggy bank open to pay for it! Lol. I've got a 13.75 X 18 now. 2.67 gear ratio which sucks but that's about all I can do. Just wanting 5-6 more mph out of it an Ill be done. I'm wanting to try out a smaller diameter higher pitch if I can find one. Figured it would spin up faster and get out if the hole then let it eat

Post Thanks / Like

FYI if you are thinkin about another boat the EDGE are awesome and fast. With the right setup the 60 Etec should push a 556 EDGE close to 50MPH...I have an Xpress 1546 VJ semi V with a moded 25-3 cylinder Yammy. I had to put trim tabs on boat. I have it trimmed all the way out and cav plate is 1.5" above boat. Runnin a 12 pitch Power Tech SRA3 36MPH @ 6000 RPM. This is just me and bass fishin gear.Note I think you need to get a Tiny Tach before you mess with your prop.Start with setting your cavitaion plate 1.25" above bottom of boat. Trim motor out your trailing edge of cav plate should be approx 1/4" higher than leading edge. If it hops too bad you will need trim tabs. Good luck...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Put this SlowTec on a new boat and it ran perfect. 1648 War Eagle and it doesn't hop from negative trim all the way till its shooting water up in the air. Me and a buddy got 42 out of it this wkd. She was hitting the limiter so I can go up about 2-3" pitch and still be within my power range. All I'm wanting is about 45 and ill be done!

phillnjack

you realy need to get a rev counter on the engine.
    they make everything so much easier to work out and youl always be using it trust me.
    if your getting good holeshot then dont go down in diameter, just up the pitch.
    i think you might get away with 21 pitch so look around for 13x21 or 13.5x21 and the rakers are supposed to be
    very good for top end speeds.
    the prop you have will sell for good money so its just a few bucks more to get what you want.
    if you can findsomeone to let you try their prop first would be great, then just look around for a good secondhand deal.
    no point in new unless your filthy rich, you can have 2 realy good used props or 1 new ???
    also maybe 22 or 23 for just out on your own going crazy with the boat ha ha

but do get a rev counter for the e-tec, it also tells many other things as im pretty sure its a multi guage for those.

have fun

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to get a Tiny Tach and out in it. Don't have a spot for the big multiple read out gauge. Never used a tiny tach but sure it won't be too terrible to figure out. I'm getting a pretty good hole shot not the best but you've got to hold on to the side or it'll slide you over the back. As soon as it breaks over plane though its gone! I'm really surprised what this motor does with 0 modifications from the factory. Might not be as fast as a ported blue printed balanced racing engine but I've never drove a factory motor that ran like this one dies now. Only other question I've got for the gurus is a CMC Manual Jack Plate. I've heard some guys say they gained speed other guys say their boats starting porpoising horribly. What would cause this and would it work on this 1648 War eagle? Boat runs perfect with motor mounted directly to the transom. Just thought about getting another prop and JP to gain a couple more mph then ill be happy !

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Used a buddies laser tachometer this wkd and it was hard to tell exactly with the rough water but I did see over 6000 rpm several times. Sounded like it was hitting the limiter with 3 of us in there

phillnjack

dont waste your money on a tiny tacho, they aint much good and will fail big time.

nothing stopping you having a full size tacho in a little pod by the transom to watch it .
    you can always incorporate a cup holder right next to the little box and have it so can simply take it out the boat if you want to.
    only need a little plug on it to make it all work nice.
    the tiny tach is made for go carts who rev a lot higher,

you can always ask a dealer about a blue tooth tacho connection for the mobile phone ????
    you must be able to get a read out direct from the computer on the engine as thats what they do at the workshops.
    you can get them for automobiles cant see why not for late outboard engines like yours.
    you could then simply watch the accurate revs on the mobile phone through a bluetooth connection.
    they only cost about $10-$15 for auto ones.

i think the etec and 42 mph is very good ,plus good fuel economy and clean engine as well.
    to get more top end your gonna start losing the pull away / holeshot..i think i would be happy where it
    is and know the engine is not under pressure from bigger pitch especially if your going out with 3 guys onboard.

you might lose 1 or 2 miles per hour by having a third person with your prop now,but with bigger prop youl lose that with each guy so probably end up slower.
    42mph aint hanging around, its plenty fast enough for a boat with 3 fisherman in it.

wish mine was that quick and ive got the 3 cylinder 60hp old school 2 stroke, keeps the oil companies happy ha ha

phill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    dont waste your money on a tiny tacho, they aint much good and will fail big time.
    I like my tiny tacs, run them on the race boats, find them accurate and never had a problem with them over the years. Like the high recall feature as well.

Just my thoughts

phillnjack

your the first person ive come across who says a good thing about them on outboard engines.

i was going to get one for a suzki 30hp i have, my friend has had 3 of them all rubbish on the outboards yet great for rc engines revving over 20,000 etc.
    he also uses the same tacs on his go cart with a single cylinder and gets good results.

but the same tacs when he puts them on outboards are all over the place.

when on just a 4hp merc the range went from 1500 to 5,000 and then all over the place at about 3/4 throttle.

ive heard the same from about 6 other people i know who have them.

maybe they have all come from a bad batch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if they work then it would good to use one and stick it opn the front of the hood to see easy if using a tiller steer.

p.s
    like the look of that 70 in the avater,did you cut it down yourself ?

phill

Thread Information