Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any mods for a '12 Evinrude Etec 60

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any mods for a '12 Evinrude Etec 60

Wondering if there are or have been any mods to increase speeds/power with a I2 BRP Etec block. Who ugly about removing the intake baffle/resonated and trying to shave some weight somewhere. Didn't know if anyone else had tried or heard of it. Thanks in advance!!

phillnjack

dont think anyone has been brave enough to break up a 2012 engine just yet.

now you have to remember that anything you do to the e-tec is going to need the computer re-programed.
    the ecu on the engine is critical to the smooth running of the e-tec.

i would imagine you can have it re-programed to give a bit more power, but the longevity and warranty will suffer big time.
    the 60hp e-tec is not to be confused with the old style 2 strokes,its very very different and very clean running when compared to the old engines.
    this is why there is racing for just clean engines cropping up all over the world.

i think mercury does a clean race spec engine, but dont know if evinrude do one yet.

in the uk e-tecs race against e-tecs of the same hp and are only allowed different props and stuff like that.

what speed are you getting now ?
    on what boat ?
    with what size prop ?
    and how high is the engine ?

even i have learned from a few of the race guru's on here about certain props and also running height making
    a huge difference.

phill.........

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now I'm only getting 38-40 mph. I can't get any trim out of it before it starts porpoising. Hull is an Alumacraft 1546 Semi V. Cavitation plate has been anywhere from 2" below to 2" above and it didn't help any in between. Brand new hull and motor. May end up selling this hull and getting something a little faster that won't bounce. Maybe a CMC BA-130 and CMC Manual Jack plate for 10" setback total and an Edge duck boat or War Eagle. Current prop is a BRP Raker 13.75 x 18" 22 degree prop. Looking at getting a Ron Hill 12.5 x 20 Yamaha style drag with an Etec hub kit. The speeds I'm getting now are with 0 degree trim. As soon as I hit the trim button it starts to porpoise. Thanks man

phillnjack

well 40mph aint slow

what is the revs

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    well 40mph aint slow

what is the revs
    I don't know I'm guessing around 6000 but I don't have a RPM gauge. It's a tiller steer. I'm not racing just duck hunting and like to get it done. Been told the Alumacraft hull won't handle the speeds without pop rousing and I'd rather just buy another to calm it down. Motor had potential wont ever be a 50 mph + but 45mph should be within its grasp. In brave enough to chop on the motor if I can get more out of it. It's paid for so I ain't messed up about it !

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a GPS and IPhone and both showed between 38-40 mph two of us riding. One on back seat and other on front deck trying to keep it from porpoising. Epic failure attempt!

phillnjack

i do know about porpoising, its a real pain, but maybe a different prop will get you over that a bit.

being on tiller will also make it porpiose as its not letting back get up and go.
    the jack plate idea might just help you out a bit.
    do you know of anyone else with same type of boat and using same engine getting more speed ?

you realy do need a rev counter to see what your getting, and have you asked dealer for the engine if its
    limited on the computer to certain rev's ?
    it might be a limited engine due to being new, this i dont know but i do know that some mercury engines in the uk are limited on the revs till they have done about 50 hours !!!!!!!!!!!

you realy do need a rev counter because by the gear ratio and prop size your using ,you are already over revving
    the engine by about 200rpms and not in the power band.
    now if this is the case you need to go up a bit on the pitch and try a 21 pitch to get the revs down a bit.
    it also shows this with zero slip !!!!!!!!!!

untill you know what the engine is realy revving at you will not get it right.

didnt the engine come with a rev counter from new ?

the bigger prop wont help with the porpoising but will give more speed, the prop needs to have a bit more staern lift
    i would think to help the bouncy stuff settle out a bit.
    But again you need that rev counter big time to make sure its going right.

a 40mph bouncing boat will feel faster than a 45mph smooth running boat,so you realy need the rev counter.

i myself have a 60hp 2 stroke and wanbt to hit the 50mph barrier, but mine old school 2 stroke and a 13ft tri-hull dory.
    i have hit 45mph with a 19 pitch sst ,but had bad porpoising when using a smaller prop that only topped out at 38mph.
    the different types of prop can make such a big handling difference as well.

i would imagine a ron hill phone call will get you sorted out and in the right ball park for what you want.

Just remember the e-tecs are slower than old school 2 strokes,just so much cleaner and cheaper to run.

i would love to get a 2012 e-tec 60hp

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

HG,

I have helped setup the same exact boat with a Merc 40 3cyl 5.5in CMC jackplate. I also had that terrible porposing. I don't know what rpms the motor was at but it would top out at 38mph with one man in the back driving and one man in the front trying to hold down on the bouncing. We used one of Ron's thru-hub 18pitch cleavers. I think it is just the design of the boat. It first came with a honda 25 and a beat up aluminum prop and it bounced too.

When we would plane off with the mercury, we would keep it trimmed all the way down until it stopped accelerating, I would say the motor hit no more than 4500rpms. Once there we would bump up the trim even the slightest bit and you could hear the rpms pick up instantly, but so did the bouncing. I might would suggest a chopper style prop. I think the prop on ours now is trying to lift the boat out of the water but can't hold it out, resulting in the uncontrollable bouncing.

50hptiller has a youtube video of a tohatsu running pretty quick. Read his comments in his video where he talks about running a chopper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ROGGu-zw4

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the chopper prop a bow lifter high rake ? One I've got now is a bow lifter BRP Raker and its horrible for my application. Kinda sucks since it was almost $600 and its brand new. May try and sell it to buy another hate to have a $$$ paperweight

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Put a tach on the motor you'll be surprised on what you're actually running and what you think you're running as far as rpms. I would work with the setup of that boat and motor, all these guys here will tell ya they have spent hours and hours on the water testing to get every mph out of there boat. I say play with setup and learn from your current boat, learn all you can then when you feel you have gone as far as you can then try a different boat. I did this with a 14 carolina skiff and a 50 tohatsu, it was a great learning experience but at the same time depressing because i wasn't happy with it but I learned a lot about hooks and rockers from that boat. I learned if that bottom isn't perfectly straight it will bounce.

Power-tech props will let you buy a prop and if you're not happy with it you can return it for another prop now you can't modify it in anyway now, they have to be able to resell it.

Thread Information