Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Boat - Same 60 Etec

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Boat - Same 60 Etec

Well earlier I had a thread talking about problems I was having with my 1546 Alumacraft low transom with fixed jack plate. Well I fixed the problem with a buddies 1648 War Eagle 20" transom. Same 60 Etec 20" mounted directly on the transom Cav plate mounted level. Ran like a champ and could get all the trim I wanted! Still using the same BRP Raker 13.75 X 18". No porpoising at all. Now my question is... Would I benefit from a CMC Manual jack plate and a CMC BA 130 for a total of 10" setback ? I was also hitting the rev limiter when trimmed and am looking at buying a new prop. Should I roll a semi cleaver Yamaha style around 15* rake or a chopper style prop, both from Ron Hill. Looking at decreasing my diameter and increasing my pitch a little more. This motor is turning the current prop around 6000-6250 so I need some kind of advice dealing with decrease diam/ increase pitch. Don't know if I need stern lift or bow lift for that type of hull... Kind of a flat bottom/ semi v type. Around 375 hull weight. Thanks for all the help!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody heard or had experience with this? Appreciate all the help I can get. Looking for a 12.5X 20 or 22 Semi cleaver thru hub. My hub diameter is 3.75" V4 Evinrude lower.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I commented on your other thread that blew up and changed topics, and you are looking for other people's opinions, but I'll throw in my opinion again anyways. I would go with a standard manual jackplate regardless, because like having the infinite adjustability of power trim, you can pick up the slightest bit of extra speed and find the best "sweet spot" for your motor height.

The breakaway plate is not adjustable and its job is just to kick up when you hit something. It is advertised that it is designed to work at 5mph or slower and not effective in reverse, which you probably already know about.

If it were me, I would go for only the manual jackplate. A friend of mine has a pad bottom xpress with a 10in setback which I think is a little too much for a duckboat. And for the breakaway plate, I would just use your power trim and trim up when you are idling along in shallower or stumpy water.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I may just do that. That BA 130 is not the greatest thin in the world from what little I've been around them. Have to chain them down for reverse and that little ole trampoline spring won't stand much of a hit before you get turned into sushi by the prop coming in the boat. Heard of guys getting their wigs popped that way. I may just stick with the Manual CMC and roll with it. Still trying to find out about the prop though I know that someone out there has beat around the bush on these ETec they have almost been around 9-10 yrs. and before that the Evinrude/Johnson V4 lower unit has been around since forever and three days ago and surely someone out there sling a different prop on that baby

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well as for props, you just have to try different ones out.

phillnjack

there is tons of props you can try
    as for the v4 gearbox, well it looks the same but isnt always the same.
    gear ratio's play a big part.
    but a prop that was made by omc for high speed with the v4 type gearbox and jacked up is this one.
    its a 13 3/4 x 23 pitch stainless semi-cleaver that does like to run high and will give good top end speed.
    Just remember that a good top end will give a slower pull away, and i mean much slower pull away.
    anyway here is the prop that omc made for such boxes and to run high.
    Its an over hub prop with a rubber bush as well to take away any nasty violent knocks when putting in and out of gear.
    this prop would give you a much higher speed if the engine can spin it up enough.
    My 60hp triple can get this to about 5500 and that running with cav plate just 1.5 inch above bottom of boat.
    idealy the cave plate needs to be up another couple of inches and im sure will still give plenty of water pressure.
    you should get something like this spinning as you have a almost new engine and gear ratio of 2.6 to 1.
    mine is 2.4 to 1 and like i say mine is still too low to let the prop spin enough and my engine is getting on a bit now.
    on ebay these prop dont bring a lot of money and only came in 13 spline, later they were called srx and were used with 15spline on some v6 engines.
    my prop is 13 3/4x 23 pitch, number on prop is 388884..they were originaly a silver metalic finnish, but can be polished up nicely.
    some people didnt like them untill worked on then they were brilliant. plenty of people still swear by these for top end speed, might be worth a try, shame you didnt live near by or i could of let you give it a try and see what results you could get with a prop like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thread Information