Thats grafton i think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    Thats grafton i think?
    Yes it is.

Preserving OMC Heritage LIQUID NIRVANA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

Do you have any pictures of a tunnel hull called 'INDY' It had one of the very first V4 Johnson Stingers back in about 1970. It was a 14' tunnel driven by Brentyn Harrison fron South Australia. He later had a larger tunnel powered by a Johnson Stinger GP & briefly held the Australian Record of 116mph. I was associated with him in South Australia for some years.

ken Finlay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LIQUID NIRVANA View Post
    Peter,

Do you have any pictures of a tunnel hull called 'INDY' It had one of the very first V4 Johnson Stingers back in about 1970. It was a 14' tunnel driven by Brentyn Harrison fron South Australia. He later had a larger tunnel powered by a Johnson Stinger GP & briefly held the Australian Record of 116mph. I was associated with him in South Australia for some years.

ken Finlay
    No sorry Ken I have not heard of him or the boat.

The only tunnel boat i remember from back then from South Australia, was a boat called FULL A FUN owned by David Fuller. I first saw it race in 1973 at the Australian Outboard Championships at Lesley Dam Warwick Queensland, in the Unlimited Unrestricted class. The boat was running a Mercury Twister.

Post Thanks / Like

Early 1970s racing Brisbane, tweed, Grafton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEw8U...eature=related

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Some good stuff there, thank you for posting it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brichter View Post
    Wow! Some good stuff there, thank you for posting it!
    Your welcome

If anybody else out there has some Aussie boat racing pictures or video post it up in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Strangler, since I don't see any photos of them, I have to ask whether the Down Under boys raced hydros with the small outboards, such as the Mercurys used in APBA Stock and Outboard (now PRO) and Modified categories, and the various Konigs, Anzanis, Quincys, Yamatos, GRMs, VRPs, and so forth, and do they race these nowdays, or just tunnel boats and inboards????

And, for anyone to answer: If you are old enough to have built a Hal Kelly Plans boat, you'll remember that the catalog had pix of a racer or two in Africa (Rhodesia, I think). Anybody know if the small outboard classes are run there anymore? We have seen photos of some of the smaller runabout classes being raced currently in Equador; is this done elsewhere in South America? I recall Bob Rhoades saying that when he was in Thailand, decades ago, he helped a guy work on an already-old crossflow Konig, but Bob didn't mention whether the Thais were racing this stuff, just those klong boats. Finally, Bob Wartinger got over to China a few years ago when they were racing something like PRO boats, mostly using Konigs. Lately he says his impression is that the Chinese seem to be gradually abandoning the hydros and alky motors for tunnel boats.

Maybe GRM and VRP are more in touch with all this. If there really is any Stock and PRO style outboard hydro and runabout racing going on outside of North America and Europe/Britain, it would be nice to have it accessible in its own thread or sub-forum.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LIQUID NIRVANA View Post
    Peter,

ken Finlay
    Hi Ken. Try OZ BOAT RACERS and ask Oldie he has a lot of photos

Thread Information