Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Australian Tunnel Boat And Powerboat Racing History

Preserving OMC Heritage LIQUID NIRVANA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 850mono View Post
    Hi Ken. Try OZ BOAT RACERS and ask Oldie he has a lot of photos

Thank you for your tip re www.ozboatracers.com I tried it but the site has been closed down. I never knew it existed until your post above. Thanks anyway.

Ken Finlay

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ken Just type in ozboatracers and you should find the site. I was on it earlyer today.
    Oldie is David Toyer he used to write for Modern Boating and the first Powerboat magazines

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oz boat racers

Gday Ken.Look at ozboatracers my free forum.Dave Toyer has posted a heap of old pics
    under Memories and tributes section including Bert Hines strangler powered rigs and
    Brenton Harrisons stinger powered Indy Also.
    Regards Peter Phillips
    PS Gday Derek.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a guy out in Australia who is a walking encyclopedia on tunnel boats, his name is KEVIN WEST and he lives in Berkely vale ??? Somewhere near the entrance.
    Is a hairdresser by trade but piss-poor at it, could talk for Australia, but always had a great camera with him, has thousands of pictures.
    Paul Jorgenson has a newspaper in SURFERS so he should have some historic pictures.
    Been to Australia a few times and seen a few races.
    Ron Anderson should have a fair knowledge of OZ RACING HISTORY.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep waiting for Ron Anderson to start his own thread about the first Merc V-6 race engines.

These Australian`s had it going on way back then even tho it was way harder for them to get motors or parts. Got to hand it to them. The word dedicated comes to mind.

DB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dabull1919 View Post
    I keep waiting for Ron Anderson to start his own thread about the first Merc V-6 race engines.

These Australian`s had it going on way back then even tho it was way harder for them to get motors or parts. Got to hand it to them. The word dedicated comes to mind.

DB
    ---MAD BASTARDS comes to my mind------read the line up of any of their events and the list of contestants, there was always a lady racer in there somewhere, main aim was to beat " the Sheila".

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Laid awake in bed last night trying to think of some of the Ozzies names.
    Kay Marshall was around Europe in the early 80's, Craig Bailey, Neil Hancock,(still owes me for a gear case) and a few more, may remember some names.
    Kay needed a crew chief, she just lacked some of the kit most racers had, props and set up was a family affair, she was "fair dinkum" but never learned the finer points of ---------shutting the door, closing 'em down, hosing 'em down,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You only seem to remember the Merc guys Jackie
    Neil Hancock is no longer so you are not going to get that housing
    I think Kay now lives just up the road from me ( next country), I would expect our paths to cross soon?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    You only seem to remember the Merc guys Jackie
    Neil Hancock is no longer so you are not going to get that housing
    I think Kay now lives just up the road from me ( next country), I would expect our paths to cross soon?
    Jesus wept man, your lucky i can remember any bloody thing at my age, can't help it if i only remember the good guys.
    Didn't see many Jonrudes performing when i was there.
    Heard tell Neil had gone Angel racing, He'd do anything to skip paying.
    Give Kay a hug and tell her i said Hi.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  246.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by LIQUID NIRVANA View Post
    Peter,

Do you have any pictures of a tunnel hull called 'INDY' It had one of the very first V4 Johnson Stingers back in about 1970. It was a 14' tunnel driven by Brentyn Harrison fron South Australia. He later had a larger tunnel powered by a Johnson Stinger GP & briefly held the Australian Record of 116mph. I was associated with him in South Australia for some years.

ken Finlay

This photo is the start of the Barwon River Marathon in Geelong 1974, Brenton and Indy went on to win!

Thread Information