Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 12' multi products mini grand prix

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 12' multi products mini grand prix

Anyone have any information on one of these. I just picked one up dated april 1986 22nd one made
    need a title for illinois. "good luck with that eh" any sugestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a Rinker, See a previous post form show us your ride:

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ghlight=rinker

Nice looking Hull

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it was made by the Rinkers. but it is a Multiproducts made in Sarcuse Indiana.

The Hull does look good, but knowing that it had bad wood I bought it anyway I may have to split the top from the bottom. need to get the title in order first before I do all that work. Short lived OPC class 1976-77 25Hp I am still thinking it may be a good vintage project. I Probably should move this to a fiberglass restoration forum. Any suggestions where?

Sweet taste of spray
    Tampa powerboat racer rips off record win streak.
    By DAVE SCHEIBER
    Published December 14, 2006
    RIVERVIEW - In the NASCAR-on-water world of Champ Boat competition, one champ stands out in the pack of sleek, supercharged crafts that rip through turns faster than any racing vehicle on the planet.
    By trade, he is a Tampa machine-shop owner who manufactures hardware components.
    Behind the wheel of his bright yellow powerboat emblazoned with No. 10, he is the '72 Dolphins and Joe DiMaggio of his sport.
    Terry Rinker went out this season on the low-profile, high-anxiety Champ Boat Grand Prix circuit and did what no other driver had done in the 30-plus-year history of Formula One powerboat racing: He won all seven races on the tour, setting a world record for consecutive victories and earning induction next month into the American Power Boat Association Hall of Champions in Los Angeles.
    Seven straight wins may not equate to a perfect NFL season or a 56-game hitting streak, of course. But it is a landmark accomplishment in any type of motorsport racing and has earned Rinker superstar status on the Champ Boat scene.
    "It was unbelievable to win seven in a row, just a dream come true," Rinker, 44, says from the sprawling back yard of his Riverview home that doubles as his racing shop.
    Just how impressive is the feat?
    "My whole background has been in all forms of motorsports - Indy car racing, NASCAR, that sort of thing," Champ Boat series president Michael Schriefer said, "and I can tell you that these Formula One powerboats are the most difficult racing machines in the world to drive.
    "It's part fighter jet, part Indy car, part motocross and the water is constantly moving and you can't see half the time. So for Terry to win seven straight, that's amazing."
    Never far from boats
    For Rinker, the achievement is the culmination of a lifetime on the water dating to his childhood in Syracuse, Ind.
    Boat manufacturing and racing, in fact, have been a family business for decades. His uncle was the original owner of Rinker Boats, and his brother still works there. "When I was a young kid, my father and uncle and everybody would go racing on weekends," he recalls. "And the kids like me all came along."
    While the adults raced in a stock outboard class, Rinker got his feet wet in a kids' class, with 10-foot, kneel-down boats. "It was just kids learning how to race, and I really didn't take it seriously."
    What really grabbed his interest during his teen years was wrestling, and he became a region champion in a state where prep wrestling has always flourished. After high school, he dabbled in his uncle's boat business, but working with fiberglass all day wasn't what he had in mind.
    So he decided to chart his own career course. He moved to Tampa, where he soon put his vocational training to use and bought a small machine-shop business. But while he may have gotten away from building boats, racing them was an entirely different matter.
    His father, Jan, had built a fiberglass boat, an entry-level model called a Mini Grand Prix, and Rinker thought it would be fun to give it a whirl in the bay area. "It was the smallest, slowest tunnel hull that was being made," he says. "That was my first real experience in racing."
    And soon he was making waves.
    Facing down G-forces
    He started competing in 1986, and one year later he won a pair of national championships and set several speed records in that class, even though his top speeds hovered around a rather sedate 48 mph on a straightaway.
    "It was fun, and it was cheap," he says, "and I just started moving through the classes from there."

For a while, he and his father raced in the same events, but Rinker was soon competing at a whole new level. In 1988, moving up to the Sports C class with a 12-foot boat and 40-horsepower engine, he earned two national titles, winning 15 of 16 races.
    In 1993, he joined forces with his current crew chief, James Chambers of Temple Terrace, part of a top-notch six-person crew. They have proved to be a formidable team, winning Champ Boat series titles in 2003, '05 and '06. Champ boats of today are 16- to 17-feet long and 4-feet high and resemble a Star Wars hovercraft.
    They careen through the water at 130 mph and are equipped with on-board computers that register data, including lateral sideways G-forces that exert four-to-five times Rinker's body weight on him.
    "It's the fastest, hardest racing vehicle known, due to the hydrodynamics that allow the boat to turn that hard," he says. "I mean I'll come into a time-trial lap running 128 mph and never lift, just jamming into the turn. You get more than one lateral G on a lot of race cars and they break loose on flat pavement."
    What makes Rinker so good? His wife of eight years, Susy, points to his calm, unflappable personality. His crew chief notes his attention to detail, which comes from his career as a machinist.
    "I think a lot of it is that I work at it so much when I'm getting stuff prepared and testing," Rinker says. "A lot of guys don't take it quite as seriously. You can tell the guys who have their act together; the guys who spend so much time having everything right with their boats so they don't have failures. I spent a lot of my time tuning my skills."
    And growing up in the family business, near the biggest natural lake in Indiana, hasn't hurt, either.
    "I've been around water and boats all my life," he said. "A lot of people never get how to read the water at 100-plus mph. And you have to be able to tell the changes and pick up on wind and wakes and waves while moving at a high speed. It's something you're not born with, but once you've been around it a long time, it becomes second nature."
    Paydays for winning are still modest, in the $4,000 range. And most of what Rinker wins he puts right back into the racing business, which includes a huge hauling trailer with a ready-to-race backup boat inside. Sponsors are a must to offset expenses.
    The sport, which takes place on rivers for the most part, is growing in popularity, fueled by its full-throttle competitions that allow spectators to get up close to the boats flying by like race cars.
    "It's getting bigger and bigger all the time," he says. "I like what I'm seeing."
    Especially when the sight includes a world record and future that looks brighter than ever.
    Dave Scheiber can be reached at scheiber@sptimes.com or (727) 893-8541.

Thread Information