Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hull Design Question

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hull Design Question

If you'll pardon a really dumb question.......

All things being equal (weight, hull length, engine power, and an optimized prop--which I've learned is CRITICAL!) which hull design is better for speed, handling, and rough water running: A deep Vee with a step, or a tunnel hull?

I know tunnel hulls tend to pound a bit in rough water, and deep Vees w/ a step tend to chine walk more than a tunnel hull, but what about any speed differences?

Thanks,

Jeff (about to build hull number seven)

phillnjack

well looking back over the years with the same power output a deep v is the fastest in rough water.
    back in the 1970's the english cross channel races were often won with big cats if the water was not too bad.
    but the smaller powered deep v's beat them easy when the going got rough.
    there was often a 13ft boat deep v in the top 5 with just a 50hp comming home beating many of the bigger cats with 2x 115 on the back.

the round britain race even today gets won by deep v morethan cats due to many area having very rough stuff.
    cats cannot take the pounding of a deep v in the sea,this has been proven hundreds of times in offshore races.

but if its a bit calm then the cats win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    If you'll pardon a really dumb question.......

All things being equal (weight, hull length, engine power, and an optimized prop--which I've learned is CRITICAL!) which hull design is better for speed, handling, and rough water running: A deep Vee with a step, or a tunnel hull?

I know tunnel hulls tend to pound a bit in rough water, and deep Vees w/ a step tend to chine walk more than a tunnel hull, but what about any speed differences?

Thanks,

Jeff (about to build hull number seven)
    A tunnel hull
    Let it all Hang out

Thread Information