Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Max Speed Attainable with These Fgures

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    My Mark 30-H would turn 7,200 RPM's on a good day. My Mark 55-H would also turn 7,200 on a good day. We were at Modesto Reservoir in Waterford, California for the APBA Stock Nationals. Weather was dry and borderline 90 plus. My first run in my C Runabout was 60 MPH but over the old record. My dad said, "For the second run put your D Hydro wheel on." I did and I broke the C Runabout UIM record at 64.661. It may still be a record. I then, took the same prop off my "C" (30-H) and put it on my D Runabout (55-H). I broke the D Runabout record (I think the speed was 70.456). Both flat bottoms, both 7,200 RPM motors, one a 30 cubic inch, one a 40 cubic inch....One with an A-B-C Quickie, one with a "D" Quickie...One at 425 pounds, one at 550 pounds. The same prop would go 76 MPH on my brother Sid Craft Sid Hydro. The motor only turned 7,200 RPM's....In 1966, I ran this same prop on my Quincy "A" Looper for a Kilo Record of 71 MPH....The Looper was probably turning 8,000 but with has 16:21 gears...How fast will a prop go?????? Check the GPS!!
    that was a good prop, I bet u still have it to. The gps don't lie, it may even hurt your feelings too. lol
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS's Don't Lie....

Over the years, I've dealt with a lot of boaters. Guys with big assed Chevy motors with blowers or nitro burnering flat bottoms have always been the biggest "PAINS". Until the GPS came out many of these "FLAT BOTTOM" guys wanted to turn their engine 7,500 or 8,000 RPM. I'd frequently tell them, why not just take the prop off and turn it what every RPM you want??? Why people started using GPS's I had a guy tell me he'd spent $25,000 trying to gain speed by in creasing horse power. He had gain 200 HP and gained no MPH. My prop, first run out gained him 8 MPH, at 500 RPM less. The GPS has made me a lot of money. Figures don't lie, but liars figure! The GPS is actually pretty simple...You go 80 the GPS says, you go 80....period, end of BS!!1

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

Over the years, I've dealt with a lot of boaters. Guys with big assed Chevy motors with blowers or nitro burnering flat bottoms have always been the biggest "PAINS". Until the GPS came out many of these "FLAT BOTTOM" guys wanted to turn their engine 7,500 or 8,000 RPM. I'd frequently tell them, why not just take the prop off and turn it what every RPM you want??? Why people started using GPS's I had a guy tell me he'd spent $25,000 trying to gain speed by in creasing horse power. He had gain 200 HP and gained no MPH. My prop, first run out gained him 8 MPH, at 500 RPM less. The GPS has made me a lot of money. Figures don't lie, but liars figure! The GPS is actually pretty simple...You go 80 the GPS says, you go 80....period, end of BS!!1
    That's the only way to do it, GPS then math or math then GPS, however one wants to do it to estimate % slippage. Otherwise, one better have someone on shore with a keen eye and a good stop-watch after measuring distance between bouys!

Post Thanks / Like

a "good" gps won't lie ,the ones that come on mobile phones do ....which a lot of guys use now days.i've recorded a top speed of 258kph runnin a little 18p chopper on my slt boat and a lot of other numbers I wish was real...also about 10 years back had the best hand held huming bird in its day and it told me I was doin 64mph at 4000 rpm cruising with a 20p...
    the good ones nowdays are real accurate,and they break a lot of hearts.
    I like the comment about if a prop ran faster with 30% slip..thats it,if your out in front who cares..a lot of guys try chasing a number.theres nothing better sittin side by side tryin your best to get round him.

Post Thanks / Like

u got that right ron,, end of BS and calculations and figures.
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Measured distance and stop watch is what I used down one of the SFWMD canals in West Palm Beach with Mark and his Dad Ed Hauptner there sometimes with their tunnels.

Seems we have discussed all the stuff enough and hope it is settled? Besides I am out of popcorn and those little chocolate thingies with the white sprinkles on them!
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

pdt

Ron hill wrote "Figures don't lie, but liars figure!"

well said ron.

Took a long time, but atleast now people agree when its someone else saying it..

own goal

Post Thanks / Like

Default While We Are On This Subject

I stated what I thought to be a fact: 7,200 RPM motor, one 30 cubic inches, one 40 cubic inches. The 40 went faster at the same RPM. Is this true? Is this possible? If so, why?

Post Thanks / Like

WELL SAID! I have been running boats since i was 15 years old and I am almost 50 now and have been all over the southern states racing mostly for fun and bragging rights out run a lot of people and have been outrun a few times.AND OUT OF ALL THIS RACING AND FUN I HAD RACING NOT ONE TIME DID WE EVER RACE ON PAPER INSTEAD OF WATER. READING THIS BS IS GETTING OLD.
    Strictly business

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    Ron hill wrote "Figures don't lie, but liars figure!"

well said ron.

Took a long time, but atleast now people agree when its someone else saying it..

own goal
    your figures and calculations are only good on paper. THATS ITS. and no one agrees with u.
    Let it all Hang out

Thread Information