Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any ModVP charter members still around?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default any ModVP charter members still around?

i've been doing some looking around lately about the old ModVP days and was just wondering. my dad was one of the first 100 members back in the early 80s, his name is David Tackel, he worked for Roark at Laser and did some very limited local ModVP stuff in North Texas in the Texas Twisters Assoc.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'v met your dad

Was in the 82 - 83 era. Was in the DAllas area on business and had this friend in the DFW area. Name was David Goodfellow. He took me out to Roarks one evening and you dad was there. No way he would ever remember me with all the people that were in and out of there. And all these years.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Ted

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

very cool, dad talks about the old ModVP days quite often, now more than ever infact. and with the class trying to make a comeback we were both thinking about joining even if not being able to race right off, just to be members and show support.

oh yeah, in 82-83 dad was in his long hair era, i was born in 83, and was very easy to recognize. long curly black hair, tall, skinny, glasses.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the guy I remember.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember David and Billy both well. Ask your dad about sitting on the side of the interstate in Florida with just a boat. That 19ft Laser became my boat
    and it sits out at my dad`s place wating on a restoration. Untill this new
    Parker race there was no real hurry. Now I fully intend on making it in 06 if they have it. Tell your dad about it to.

Bobby Sanders

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dabull1919
    I remember David and Billy both well. Ask your dad about sitting on the side of the interstate in Florida with just a boat. That 19ft Laser became my boat
    and it sits out at my dad`s place wating on a restoration. Untill this new
    Parker race there was no real hurry. Now I fully intend on making it in 06 if they have it. Tell your dad about it to.

Bobby Sanders
    yeah, dad actually told me that story the other day (not the first time) ole Roark probably chewed that State Trouper's *** pretty good when they got to the weigh station and he changed his mind. Dad wasn't about to let that brand new jet black 19ft boat that he had just finished building sit on the side of the road. i just wonder what the people driving by on the interstate thought about the big afro sticking out of that black boat. do you have any pictures of the boat as it sits today? i'm going to go take some of my 19ft laser (the same one power boat used in their 1983 test issue) and post them up. it needs lots of work but it'll get there eventually. i'm finishing up a drag race car right now then i'll start on the Laser. dad has owned that boat since he built it in '83. Billy still has his baby white/blue ltv that dad built sitting at his house but it hasn't been in the water in over a decade, it's still very structurally sound and would just need the steering checked out, and a fresh powerhead and it would be a GREAT example of ModVP in the early 80s. (it was built in '86 however)

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I got lots of pics and vedios. when I learn how to post pics I`ll put em up. You and your dad going to the nigg nationals on Lake Whittney this weekend? Gonna be loads of fun. Just drag racin but still fun.
    Bobby

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Bobby

Ask Sam (Mark 75H) to walk you thru posting pictues. I'm sure he will help.

Glad you're aboard. Gotta love those 380's.

Ted

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

nah, we havn't been to a boat drag race in years actually...I have a race friday night at Kennedale, i race a class called True Street in the Texas True Ten 5. 10.5" tire, 1500rwhp, and a kid to dumb to know it's not safe!!! we usually only go to one maybe two races a year, we ALWAYS go to St. Louis though. i'm a big land drag racer but am starting to want to get into the modvp style racing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default old mvp

My name is Lloyd Burns i raced mvp from 83 to 88 my first boat was 1983 LTV my first race st Louis 83 I raced APBA sense 66 I take my new LTV to arace with Kim Howard Alen Stocker Marvin from Miss. Ididn't need to be there but we learned

Lloyd's 8124245785 p.s. ran havasue 84 85 met alot of fine people

Thread Information