Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miami match race of Champions 1975

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You are correct Bill Van that the owner of "Long Gone" was Les Brown. I seem to recall that this series was inspired by the IROC series of car races in which racers from different auto sports competed in identical cars. I believe they came from F-!, Nascar, SCCA, USAC and maybe some other organizations. I think it was 12 drivers.

I think that Powerboat covered what was going on, and I'll bet Bill Muncey wrote some stuff too and maybe Mel Zikes.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was about 15 years old I sat in one of of these boats, My neighbor was the Evinrude service rep for this area and was pulling it around for show, this was after the race,It was dark blue and white ,If I had the money I could of bought it for $4500 boat,motor and trailer also included one cleaver prop,What a deal!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Are any of the boats still around?
    The race was in November of 1975, I doubt any of these boats would still be around, too bad.

There were 17 hulls made for the Race of Champions. Even before the first elimination heat began 2 hulls were damaged, the one driven by Barry Woods was damaged pretty bad, the other was patched and could have returned if needed. During the final 10 lap race, one boat rolled or blew over (Mickey Remund).

In addition to the 17 Seebold hulls made for The Race of Champions, I wonder how many more Seebold SE hulls were made for the Jeff Brown turn-key SE boat promotion (picture attached)? Could some of the R. of C. hulls have found there way over to the Jeff Brown deal??

I know Seebold made a few more SE hulls that were not part of either of these programs. The one I had was one they built with experimental sponson bottoms that were actually concaved. I don't think they made many like this as mine was pretty fast in a straight but did not turn as well as the regular angled sponson bottoms. If you look hard you can see the different shape on my sponsons.

Jimbo did have a Seebold SE hull that he raced in MOD 50. It had Velden cowlings on it but it was a Seebold hull. He raced it here in Canada a few times in the late 70's.
    Name:  image-2.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  266.5 KBName:  image-1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  36.3 KB
    Last edited by peterse90; 11-01-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: duplicate picture

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1975 Bill Muncey invitational press ad

Here is an old Evinrude ad with some info on the match race.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    The race was in November of 1975, I doubt any of these boats would still be around, too bad.

There were 17 hulls made for the Race of Champions. Even before the first elimination heat began 2 hulls were damaged, the one driven by Barry Woods was damaged pretty bad, the other was patched and could have returned if needed. During the final 10 lap race, one boat rolled or blew over (Mickey Remund).

In addition to the 17 Seebold hulls made for The Race of Champions, I wonder how many more Seebold SE hulls were made for the Jeff Brown turn-key SE boat promotion (picture attached)? Could some of the R. of C. hulls have found there way over to the Jeff Brown deal??

I know Seebold made a few more SE hulls that were not part of either of these programs. The one I had was one they built with experimental sponson bottoms that were actually concaved. I don't think they made many like this as mine was pretty fast in a straight but did not turn as well as the regular angled sponson bottoms. If you look hard you can see the different shape on my sponsons.

Jimbo did have a Seebold SE hull that he raced in MOD 50. It had Velden cowlings on it but it was a Seebold hull. He raced it here in Canada a few times in the late 70's.
    Name:  image-2.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  266.5 KBName:  image-1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  36.3 KB
    Yep, the Seebold with Velden cowls that Jimbo ran at the '76 Nats in Dayton was one of these match racers. He won Mod 90 that day.

Thread Information