Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Well They Talked Me Into It!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well They Talked Me Into It!

Think I'm going to sell my 60 Etec and buy/build up a 40 Merc 996 cc 3 cyl. Just can't stand watching all these Sabine River Gang videos and buddies having all the fun anymore! Fastest my SlowTec will go is 40-42 mph and I've seen guys running close to 60 or above with the Mercury. My question to some of you guys running these motors that are all fixed up... How is the take off, running with a heavy load, etc. Only other question is how long can I expect it to last if I run it normal no racing besides every great once in a while?? Got a friend on here that's got one that'll scream and a few more guys with the same and they love em as well. Another reason is... It's a Mercury, and I can work on it. If my Etec messes up... Gotta pay someone to work on it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! I'm not wanting a rocket.... Somewhere around 50-55 mph would be all I'm after. Whatever it takes to get there. 1648 War Eagle 370 lbs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HGipson View Post
    Think I'm going to sell my 60 Etec and buy/build up a 40 Merc 996 cc 3 cyl. Just can't stand watching all these Sabine River Gang videos and buddies having all the fun anymore! Fastest my SlowTec will go is 40-42 mph and I've seen guys running close to 60 or above with the Mercury. My question to some of you guys running these motors that are all fixed up... How is the take off, running with a heavy load, etc. Only other question is how long can I expect it to last if I run it normal no racing besides every great once in a while?? Got a friend on here that's got one that'll scream and a few more guys with the same and they love em as well. Another reason is... It's a Mercury, and I can work on it. If my Etec messes up... Gotta pay someone to work on it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! I'm not wanting a rocket.... Somewhere around 50-55 mph would be all I'm after. Whatever it takes to get there. 1648 War Eagle 370 lbs
    HGipson,, the 3cyl mercury is a good chioce,, how fast u wont to go,, are what u wont to do depends on u,, 50-55 is just a walk in the park,, thats easy,, take off depends on your motor heights and what kind of prop u have on it, the mercury does good with a load,, but wont haul a load like the etec will cause of gear ratio, but if u do have mods made to your motor it will still be a dependable motor that u can fish with,,ride,, are play... your boat is too heavy at 370lbs, u need to lightin it up are find a lighter boat.
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

What year are these 40 Merc 996 cc 3 cyl ? Are they 2 or 4 cycle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    What year are these 40 Merc 996 cc 3 cyl ? Are they 2 or 4 cycle?
    2 stroke, year,, from around 1997 to 2005
    Let it all Hang out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I figured I'd be able to get that out of my 648 with that motor fixed up. Any faster if have to have a racing boat or something else. I didn't think 370 was bad! Fig that was about par for a duck boat

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I figured I'd be able to get that out of my 648 with that motor fixed up. Any faster if have to have a racing boat or something else. I didn't think 370 was bad! Fig that was about par for a duck boat
    well for what u want it for it should be good at that weight, but if u want to pick up more u will have to lightin her up some. lol
    Let it all Hang out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

MWhite what kind of lower have you got on your motor? Haven't seen one like that before. Think I've seen you run on YouTube a few times in the Alweld??

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got an old hull I'm thinkin about cutting down and turning into a race boat. 1444 Monark riveted Jon flat bottom. Think I'm goin to completely take it down to bare hull. Weld new bracing and fill rivet holes which will take forever and a day. He it down around 175-200 # range. Going to have to try and find another 40 the one I was going to buy sold already. In the mean time... Can an old 4 cyl Merc 50 be turned into a similar race motor compare able with the 3 cyl? I've got three of em at house may play with them get my hands dirty before I jump into the big leagues! Lol

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Those 50 Mercs won't give you that 50-55 mph you (and I) are looking for.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

MWhite what kind of lower have you got on your motor? Haven't seen one like that before. Think I've seen you run on YouTube a few times in the Alweld??
    Its a regular 40 lower unit,, its got a nose cone on it, for low water pick up
    Let it all Hang out

Thread Information