Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue of modify.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Issue of modify.

While the OMC 31.8 is on a few threads lately, Ive adapted a 2 barrel from an OMC 85 to one & got it within a mph of my fastest single barrel. Its been shelved for awhile but is again ready to run. A problem I have is if it sits for more than a week or 10 days the gas in the float bowl goes south & gets the bad gas smell & of course wont fire. Its easy to drain off & prime new gas in but it should last longer.
    Why?, is my question & my theory is as a stock application the 85 has a tight airbox but my mod has only a spray sheild. Could the air box be limiting the vent air entering the float chamber? This is not an alky-gas problem since it happens to av gas too.

Post Thanks / Like

Add some Stabil to the fuel, can't hurt can help like chicken soup. Are you using a E based fuel, no good? Not sure about the venting causing thre issue. Is there any evidence of water in the fuel when you clean out the bowl?

Post Thanks / Like

M50
    Just disconnect fuel line and run carb. dry before you take it out of the water. never put an outboard up with fuel in the carb.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably the water that is in todays fuels. You might also have some cheap gas in your area, who knows. But no, it is not normal around here. I simply dissconnect the fuel line from the engine on my duck boat and let it sit. I don't run it dry, as I don't want to chance the floats or anything being out of whack from trailering on these rough MI roads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post
    Probably the water that is in todays fuels. You might also have some cheap gas in your area, who knows. But no, it is not normal around here. I simply dissconnect the fuel line from the engine on my duck boat and let it sit. I don't run it dry, as I don't want to chance the floats or anything being out of whack from trailering on these rough MI roads.
    If theres water in the fuel from the ethanol it could be but avgas 100 LL has no E & it goes bad just as fast. Thats why I think too much air is in the flaot bowl that actually holds very little gas. Letting a float flop around in an empty bowl on ruff roads is a thought to remember as Jersey has alot of bumpy roads too & I always trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Add some Stabil to the fuel, can't hurt can help like chicken soup. Are you using a E based fuel, no good? Not sure about the venting causing thre issue. Is there any evidence of water in the fuel when you clean out the bowl?
    No water, I drain it in a clean contaier to look. Stabile would do it tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shenders View Post
    M50
    Just disconnect fuel line and run carb. dry before you take it out of the water. never put an outboard up with fuel in the carb.
    For storage I'd do that but from weekend to weekend it should be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Just seems odd that the stock single barrel can sit a month & start right up. Why I'm thinking air to fuel volumes inside the chamber.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

..."never put an outboard up with fuel in the carb"

Right! I warn everyone to do this... or else.

Here's what ethanol gas and moisture form in the bottom of a carb (or tank) it allowed to sit a while. That "white gook" will not burn, it goes right thorough filters, and can NOT be made to burn with any known additive.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    ..."never put an outboard up with fuel in the carb"

Right! I warn everyone to do this... or else.

Here's what ethanol gas and moisture form in the bottom of a carb (or tank) it allowed to sit a while. That "white gook" will not burn, it goes right thorough filters, and can NOT be made to burn with any known additive.

Jeff
    While I realize this to be true, Im talking a week, not a month or more. Av gas has no ethanol & is known to last longer.

Thread Information