Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2002 PRO Nationals

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2002 PRO Nationals

Here are some program pages from the 2002 PRO Nationals on Lake DePue. This one's for you Todd !!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2002 Info

Here are the 2002 champions along with the Propeller article , thanks again RC , some newspaper articles and pictures of a campground party from Bruce Summers.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dale for posting. Great to see the pictures of so many friends that I have not seen since 2002 which was my last trip back. I keep wanting to make it but unfortunately something seems to change my plans called work. By the way Dale that was my last ride in the 1100r or any other boat. But like I said on HR watch out for next year, plans on the way to get there and give the other brother his ride named Dale this time!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

2002 1100 runabout

Dale, did you notice who the deck rider was. I don't know how that came about. Todd, why don't you fill in the details.

I forgot about my one and only ride in a 125 runabout[with a hydro]

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2002 Nationals

First of all Bruce I want to ask how Shirley is doing. Sure was Great talking to both of you a few weeks ago on the phone!!

Well 2002 was a heck of a trip just getting to Consatatine then to Depue. It started with us losing an axle and tire on Interstae 80 passing a semi truck at mile marker 87 in Nebraska. For those wondering how I remember that its easy Paul Fuschlins boat number so you never forget. I still remember Derek Gesler's face when I told him our tire and rim just passed us. After getting to Michigan it was hard to get a rider as nobody really wanted to ride. Mike Krier rode the year before with me and to this day still whines and complains about it! But we still are the best of friends and talk all the time to one another but he still has a nick name lol.
    We had our share of engine troubles between the 4- 1100 rigs we brought with us but mine just gave me fits all weekend and didnt run at all. Steve Litzell came up to me and told me he would help me once we got to Depue. Once in Depue Bull Moose as I call him and have for many years found my ignition timing slipped and had her fixed in no time. Well now I need a deck rider to test so Derek climbs in and when we get back in he was grinning from ear to ear and said this is going to be a great race to be in as he was scheduled to ride with his dad.
    Unfortunately Brad wrecked in 500r and scratched. I was looking for a rider when Kieth said he would ride. I was great full and kept asking him are you sure!! Well the 1st heat Kieth and I won just beating out Terry Klemm and the Thirlbys Eddie and Mike. The 3rd heat on the last turn I broke a fly wheel and I was back a few spots but still had enough points to win as I was not able to pull the pipes as this started my long journey of many neck surguries to follow.
    Bruce I was in the patrol boat when you ran a that hydro in the runabaout class I thought you really messed up this time. But the blow over of the 2 OSY boats side by side right passed me was one you dont forget.
    This started my long time friendship with Bruce, Shirley and of course Kieth who rode with me and helped me win the Championship!! There were many many others that helped me as well Paul Fuchlin,Joe Johnson,The Geslers, Klemm,Bob Tadych, Kriers,Bull Moose, and many Im sure Im forgetting. But many thank to the never ending Tim Dwyer that changed my 500 motor to 1100r and kept me going all week long!! Thanks guys

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Great story Todd. That was my hope when I started posting these National pages , to try and get some of the stories behind the story. Wayne and John did a lot with the late 60's and early 70's posts.

BTW - can anybody identify the people in the picture that Bruce gave me and I posted. Bruce just said it was John Maddrells brat fest in the campground.

Post Thanks / Like

I recognize Bruce in the blk chair with the white shirt and Craig Dewald in the red or maroon shirt sitting on the ground but not many others.

I still remember Litzel grabbing Buddy and taking him for his dunk that was special.

Wayne- Your next!!!!
    There were so many behind the scenes stories between Krier myself,and Tadych thats what made my trips memorable some I wont mention lol. I still remember my boat being hung between 2 trees at Depue by the Thirlby trailer and everyone who was involved getting up that high lol. Or the joke at the weigh station on the way from Mich to Depue when my teammate Mr. Doug Rhea told them we were wanted and just stole that truck and trailer with the boats on it that was interesting to say the least.

The best for me was Bull Moose's hug and congradulations that meant a lot to me and still does!!! Steve flew to Ca years ago to Shadow Cliffs and ran my 500r on a visit and helped me so much with my 1100 and gave me some great info which got me on the right track. See Steve Litzell and Mitch Meyer thanks to Rich and Paul Fuchlin flew to Ca a few times to help show us how Ca guys how to fix or Yamatos and Konigs as we were all learning by a class held at the Fuchlin shop

Thats why I still hang around here and on HR even though I am unable to race ever again because of all the Family you have it just never ends!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

People in picture

There are a couple of Bob's a Bill[facing camera] a Brad and that's Marshal sitting next to me and Shirley looking over my shoulder. You'll have to supply the rest and the last names.

Shirley is doing fine. The cardiologist and the surgeon have both said she's ready for physical therapy. That will start ina week or two.
    We may go to a boat show in Muscatine IA. I bought my Pugh F hydro from the friend I sold it to. It's in great shape and you can see it on Youtube running at Depue. Go to Youtube and enter Bruce Summers 1100 Hydro. There's also video of my 1100 runabout[Wayne Walgrave's]. I sent Jeff Lytle some video's to post and the next thing I know is there they are on youtube. Thanks Jeff!

Enough BS,

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce,
    Thats great news on Shirley. She reminded me when we talked of when we chatted on the computer from Depue when they had Live streaming I believe thats what it was called great memory lol.

I have seen your video of the 1100r and remember a looper on a flat deck that Rod drove was that one of your old engines??
    Hope to see your 1100h as well and will have to check Youtube for it.
    Bruce thank you too for all you have done to help me when I raced in Depue and Mich and for offering to help a rookie driver I emailed you on a year or so ago.
    This is why Boat Racers are sooo Special no matter where they are.

I like your Enough BS thats a good one lol

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Todd
    I'll try this again. Yes the runabout and 6 looper I sold to Rod. The runabout I got from Wayne Walgraves and the 6 looper was the one I made from 2 D loopers.

I wonder what happened to main streaming? Shirley enjoyed doing it and it gave people that couldn't be there a chance to be involved.
    Somebody was going to put the title series races on T.V. Did that ever happen? I mean currently, not the water channel effort.

Bruce
    Quote Originally Posted by 1100r View Post
    Bruce,
    Thats great news on Shirley. She reminded me when we talked of when we chatted on the computer from Depue when they had Live streaming I believe thats what it was called great memory lol.

I have seen your video of the 1100r and remember a looper on a flat deck that Rod drove was that one of your old engines??
    Hope to see your 1100h as well and will have to check Youtube for it.

Todd

The runabout was the one I got fromWayne Walgraves and the 6 looper was the one I made from 2 D's. I sold them both to Rod. He and Kathi had fun running 2 man Runabout at DePue until he got serious about E Mod. runabout. He's been doing well in E Mod.

I wonder what happened to the Live Streaming? I thought it was a good idea and gave people that couldn't be there a chance to get involved. Somebody was going to put the title series races on t v. Did that ever happen?

Bruce

Bruce thank you too for all you have done to help me when I raced in Depue and Mich and for offering to help a rookie driver I emailed you on a year or so ago.
    This is why Boat Racers are sooo Special no matter where they are.

I like your Enough BS thats a good one lol

Todd

Thread Information