Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mod VP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mod VP

Anyone interested in joining a mod vp class? Myself, Chip Wavro and a couple other guys are going to form a new class of mod vp boats. The super sport class is not growing and we want to race more than 3 or 4 times a year. So we are selling our 150s and going with a larger engine. We think this idea will help make a new and affordable class.
    As for the rules for the class they are rather simple we are using a combination of some rules that are currently being used. We are going to use the super sport rules for the boats and use the F1 Sport powerhead rules for the engine. 20 inch mid section, any tuner you want. The gearcase must be shiftable fwd,n,rev. nose cones and low water pick ups are legal as is a sportmaster. Open exhaust thru the mid is legal. Simple and basic rules that are already proven to work

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Was the "Father" of Super Sport

I was elected OPC Chair in 1998 or 99. Danny McMannis had this dream of a NASCAR class. A 150 2006 green engine on a MOd VP Boat with a capsule. He also envisioned open exhaust reliefs so you could hear the motor. A safe, fun class.

As OPC Chair I bought a boat for this class from my budget. At the Mississippi National Meeting we had four Super Sports on display: Yamaha, Evinrude, Mercury and maybe a Suzuki.

Well, several things went wrong with the class:

1. Early on, even with capsules someone got killed.
    2. The factories that "LOANED" motors didn't want relief holes drilled in the exhaust, so the motors were clean but quiet. Quiet enough that you could yell at the other guy and say get out of my way.....Turned out to be a very boring class.

In California were have a "Super Stock" class. We run 2.0 liter motors with 26 CC heads and no capsules..

Myself, being all knowing, would suggest:

Mod VP

1. Any 150 HP 2006 or newer Outboard.....no rules, nose cones, do you best (If they become dominate lower the transom height). Capsules, non capsule 1,550 pounds, 18'6" boat length.
    2. Any 2.0 liter, COR Rules: 1,550 pounds , 18'6" boat, capsule ot no capsule.
    3. All motors 1" below the bottom.
    4. If no divers are available, MOD VP CAPSULED boats could not race, but points would be awarded.
    5. Over lap run would be three boat lengths.

Danny McMannis conceptulized Super Sport, I, as OPC Chair "Fathered it". But I support MOD VP's return, at a slower speed than the "HAY" days, as I was the "Father" of MOD VP. also.

Post Thanks / Like

The suggestion of a 150 is what we want to get away from The boats are very slow to respond or gain any speed. We want the extra hp so we can get out of each others way coming into and out of a turn.
    Using the F1 Sport engine we can keep the costs down by running a carb engine vs efi. We need new poeple in the sport and keeping costs down during this time period may be the only way to do it. Parts for an efi are expensive and unless you have the test equipment you have to pay someone with it to find out what is wrong should your engine have a problem. Just about any person with mechanical knowledge and a clymers manual can work on a carb engine and parts are relatively low cost.
    Following the supersport rule of 17'9" min boat lenght and 1600 pounds will enable more boats to be legal and the rules are already approved.
    We only race if we have divers to do so without them I personally feel is very unwise
    The idea of mandatory 1 inch below the pad I disagree with.
    Ron you guys have an excellent program with COR out on the west coast but it isnt catching on in the eastern part of the country.

Thread Information