Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 56ci omc exhaust housing adapter

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 56ci omc exhaust housing adapter

I'm putting together a motor for my critchfeild. I have 15 mid with a nitro gear case and a 56ci motor. I have changed out the exhaust adapter for the 56 power head. But the adapter difference between the 56 and 49 is that the 56 is a little thicker. So it makes the steering tube a little short so I can't put the lock ring back on and there is to much play with out the lock ring. I know some of you guys have made this work. I would like to know what you other guys have done. I know I can mill it down. But will I have to mill down where the motor mounts are.

Any help I will be great.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hall, you have to machine the top of the adapter plate about 1/4" off the top, the spline on the drive will also be 1/4" deeper in the crankshaft where it belong.
    Mike

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the mount height is the same on the 20" as the 15", the power head sits higher on the 20" adapter,

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the bolts in the upper mounts have more diameter on the 56, just send a drill bit through the 49 yoke.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Thread Information