Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about 15' tunnell

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. i raised the motor about 2" thats all icould without drilling new holes in my new transom. splash from the motor going straight up and into the splash well went away. thats good. whats bad is now i get cavitation just as the boat is planing off or when throttle is really jumped on. it acts like a spun hub because even when i back off or feather the throttle it still spins, tried a different prop that was in my garage seemed even worse. the first prop is a stock 131/2 x 17 aluminum i had run this prop on this motor with my 18' aluminum fish boat with no problems, the second prop was given to me with a box of other parts condition unknown. same size and pitch. i know i need something different prop wise, what would you all suggest? heres a side view of the rig.Name:  IMG_20130901_124538.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  199.5 KB

49ci OMC, Alum flat sabine river killer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

now get a good prop and keep going up
    All boat racers lie, accept me and you, but I am starting to question you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popa Sam View Post
    Appears you about 3" too deep. When you raise the motor enough to stop the transom over wash you will need a different prop.
    Yup, for sure! Sounds like you're much too low. Raise motor, make sure you're still getting water (get a pressure gage). Test for new surfacing props.

Post Thanks / Like

Had that boat might even be that one who knows but what I do know is you have to go way up get a jackplate and block off the two top holes on your water pick up on Gearcase or you'll over heat. That's a t150 gw invader I had a 235 on one and it was a great ride I think I remember the guys name who built it gray wooldridge or something like that. did that boat have space invader black and yellow stripes on the deck?

pdt

what sort of speed would this boat do with that 140hp Johnson on the back / and is this a crossflow 140hp circa 1977/78 ?
    looks like a pretty mean and sleek boat.
    are these ok in the rough stuff or purely a smooth water boat i.e lakes and rivers it looks pretty nice

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

from my info this boat came from southern indiana. i bought it near indianapolis. these boats were made by gary wooldrige (spelling?) in central indiana. i'm told gary hada cottage on syracuse lake 2 doors down from were i now live. any way this boat was gold with silver metal flake and equiped with twin 105 chryslers pipes and speedy lowers. early 70's. think i shoulda used a short shaft motor, as i have raised this motor at least 2" and it needs to go up more. some one please give me an idea on what type of prop i need. any input or leads to a prop would be appreciated. oh yeah the motor is a 1978 don't know if thats good or bad. just stuff i had laying around.

pdt

That 140 crossflow v4 is a pretty good engine when going right. very powerful;l for just 1600cc engine.
    still plenty of them around for spare parts as well.

They are also so much lighter than the v4 engines nowdays. only around 320 pounds with power trim !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you gonna run the fishing lower unit i would look for a stainless prop from omc like a srx or maybe one of ther bass boat props like a raker or shooter. I ran mine with a 27 omc cleaver and didn't have it set up very well I could see 80's bit after that you were in the danger zone.thats why I sold mine wanted to blow over over easy fun boat thou!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

you have got to get a jack plate ( see Carolina jack plate.com) BEST PRICES & simple plates. No new holes to drill, plate mounts to existing holes.

start looking in prop section here and on ebay for older style cleaver props. I would be a little leary of a chopper style prop as these have a lot of bow lift & I have heard that these invaders like to get a little kitey.

Props from the SST-60 guys will be your best bet. 12-13" x 23,25,27" pitch.

Contact Ron Hill, he may have some 27,s w/13 spline.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default putting xri200on12in merc.mid is there a way to use stock lower unit

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat001 View Post
    I agree with popa sam motor needs to go up at least 3 inches. I've never had a problem with water coming over the transom from being to high
    any one done this

Thread Information