Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Evinrude Etec

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Evinrude Etec

Anyone tried and had any luck with removing the rev limiter on Etecs? I've got a few months left one warranty and when that's up I am going to try everything I can to get this motor of mine (60 hp) to do all it can. Just wondering if anyone has done anything to them yet. I've tried a few props. My highest speed so far is 43 mph w a 13.5 X 23 OMC drag prop 2.67 gear ratio.

Preserving OMC Heritage LIQUID NIRVANA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You cannot remove the Rev Limiter from the Computer (EMM). You cannot modify the EMM. Only the factory can do it and they won't. Blame the EPA.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

for a 2 cylinder I wonder if you could use a pak from a skidoo as they have 8500 rpm limit

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 60hp ETEC is digital fuel injection with alot of engine management control... The Rev limiter is likely tied to several engine functions at the same time (fuel, spark, temp, oil del'y, etc...) I doubt the ECU can be tricked without factory intervention... You mentioned your top speed and your propeller but failed to mention the ETEC's rpm at that speed; I'm curious what you're engine is turning. My pontoon goes as fast (23mph) with my 60hp ETEC at 5,200rpm as it used to go with a 1995 115hp Johnson 90degree carb engine. This 60ETEC is my new "favorite engine".

The ETEC rigging instructions leave a WIDE MARGIN of wide open throttle rpm for propping it out, so unless you're down in the high 4K's for rpm, you should keep increasing the pitch and see what happens...

Tom

Tom

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite sure of the rpm I didn't have a gauge. Just by ear it was in the 6000+ range w the 18" cupped prop and 5500+/- 200 rpm range w the 23" pitch prop. It was a good motor but I sold it this past wkd and bought a 3 cyl 40 Merc I'm sending off to get ported/etc. just afraid of what would happen if that engine ever threw a code or a fuel injector went out. They are about $500 each and the fuel pump costs $1000. I just got hot feet thinking about it so shes gone to another home

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 25XS View Post
    The 60hp ETEC is digital fuel injection with alot of engine management control... The Rev limiter is likely tied to several engine functions at the same time (fuel, spark, temp, oil del'y, etc...) I doubt the ECU can be tricked without factory intervention... You mentioned your top speed and your propeller but failed to mention the ETEC's rpm at that speed; I'm curious what you're engine is turning. My pontoon goes as fast (23mph) with my 60hp ETEC at 5,200rpm as it used to go with a 1995 115hp Johnson 90degree carb engine. This 60ETEC is my new "favorite engine".

The ETEC rigging instructions leave a WIDE MARGIN of wide open throttle rpm for propping it out, so unless you're down in the high 4K's for rpm, you should keep increasing the pitch and see what happens...

Tom

Tom
    For your pontoon still keeping its top speed with less HP, I think of it kind of like terminal velocity when skydiving. No matter how much horsepower or how fast you push that water with your prop, the drag with the 'toons limit you to a certain speed.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 60's operating range is 5500-6000 RPM so you're not making the full hp at 5200 unless you were just comparing 5200 Etec vs 5200 115. If double the hp wasn't pushing that pontoon faster than 23 mph something was wrong with setup more than likely. Those engines have the same lowers with different gears. The Etec was 2.67 and could carry a good load. Just limited by ECM and gear ratio when it came to speed. Only reason I got rid of it was the fact I don't have the software and manuals to work on them... Unlike carb motors only a few things can be wrong

Thread Information