Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1996 Evinrude 30hp Shifting issue- please help

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1996 Evinrude 30hp Shifting issue- please help

Hello

I am lost and have spent 6 hours messing with this and have gotten no where. I bought this engine and listened to it run on mufflers and had it shift without issue.

I got it home and set it up. It will shift into reverse just fine but neutral is where forward should be and no forward. Starts and runs fine but only has neutral and reverse.

I think no problem. I disconnect the linkage under the water intake screen and can shift it into forward, neutral and reverse just fine while turning the prop. I adjust the bottom shift shaft down a little and reconnect. It gets better as reverse is solely in reverse but still not forward.

If I set it up in forward, it will give me one shot of forward but when I shift into neutral I can not get back into forward.

It seems like the shift rod does not go high enough up. I have 1/4 inch of play in it. The gearcase is fine but I have the lower shift shaft bottom out attempting to make more room.

Is it possible their is just too much play not allowing the correct amount of throw? What should I do at this point? How can I adjust the upper shift shaft. I feel like if I cut 1/2 inch out of it (I will not) that it would work perfectly.

Thank you for your insight.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

take the lower off and then hold the shift shaft and move the lever on the engine, if there's play remove the powerhead and you will see why.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    take the lower off and then hold the shift shaft and move the lever on the engine, if there's play remove the powerhead and you will see why.
    How much play is acceptable? 1/4 inch does not seem excessive. I was starting to think that the issue was in the gearcase with a worn a dogclutch or forward. Or maybe someone removed that screw by the drain plug.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captbone View Post
    How much play is acceptable? 1/4 inch does not seem excessive. I was starting to think that the issue was in the gearcase with a worn a dogclutch or forward. Or maybe someone removed that screw by the drain plug.
    yes maybe they removed that screw but if they got it back in without the shift mechanism you would not be able to change any gears.
    I would say 1/4 inch is too much pointing to an issue where the cross shaft connects to the vertical shift shaft

Thread Information