Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

pdt

MWhite your full of ****
    you have tried every way possible to twist things
    go back and look what you wrote.

your so full of **** you don't even know what you've wrote, you couldn't even answer simple stuff.
    I bet you spend a fortune having to get someone to do everything for you.

you should be a politician, they are like you and avoid everything when the real questions pop up.

I had said what the flywheels were for, it was you who made yourself look a proper plum ha ha .

it still tickles me when I think of your answers to simple questions.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    you are correct that your not an engineer

But you have butted in and made yourself look a proper knobhead just like mike.
    unless you know what your talking about or atleast have an idea then don't join in and attack just because your boyfriend is attacking someone.
    flywheel being heavy helps the crankshaft with vibration, it keeps an engine from stalling at slow speed, it creates more torque once it gets spinning.
    now with a boat engine that needs to push a heavy boat or a loaded boat we need a heavy flywheel for slow speed, if only going fast and full rpm 99% of the time it could be lightened.
    but it would not be of any use to keep any power in the engine !!!!!!
    sometime a go a topic came up about horsepower and torque etc, it was about torque dropping off and hp still rising... if the flywheel was heavy it would make this possible, but if the flywheel is very
    light then what happens if we get a touch of cavitaion on a bend or coming out of a corner ? where is the stored energy going to come from / because the flywheel has not got enough in it.
    a heavy flywheel is slower to get going, but also slower to stop it.

I do not profess to know it all, there is ****loads of outboard parts that I have never delved into and would not ever attempt to argue about.
    plus when it comes to outboard electrics I am a nightmare waiting to happen, electrics I have never been any good with at all.

there is nowhere on this or any other forum where I have ever argued anything on porting an engine, how to enlarge the ports or how to move the port timming.
    ive never done it to a outboard and know much about outboard porting.
    I have never argued about lots of stuff on the outboard engines, if its something I do not know and think it will be of value to me I will ask the question.
    But I am not daft like so many , and can instantly see total bollocks when its written.

as for the oil, then no I have not just read it on here and copied it etc. there is some on here ,its pretty basic stuff.

If you read what I wrote you woukld notice I talked about keeping the engine, not going fast and not caring if it gets destroyed in just 1 race.
    Any engineer or real racer on here will know that more oil has proven to give more power, not saying its a huge increase but it is an increase.
    I have not contradicted myself, the answers and questions I raised have been twisted and turned by others to maybe look like I have contradicted all sorts, but again go
    back and look for yourself.
    don't just take things out of context like some fools do, read the passage just like it has been written.

I have not and have never professed to be an expert engineer, an engine designer or a professor of science and physics.

I'm not getting what you mean about the cavitation and the flywheel having stored energy and how a lightened flywheel doesn't have enough in it. ENOUGH OF WHAT IN IT??

Post Thanks / Like

flywheels.
    lightening a flywheel does make a difference to idle, why do you think that outboard engines have very heavy flywheels ???? do you think marine outboard company's get
    the metal for free and just put heavy flywheels on to make the engines heavier ?

as for oil,
    fully synthetic oil will wear a 2 stroke out faster, as like I said its very flammable, a lot more flammable that the normal tcw3 stuff.
    you could get better performance, but at the cost of engine life.
    tcw3 is far better for lubrication, the fully synthetic does run cleaner due to it burning up more and thus give a cleaner run and less smoke,
    but does NOT lubricate as good.. Lubrication is the main thing to go for as in longevity of a 2 stroke engine.
    Also a lot of people talk of using far less oil in their engines when running fully synthetic, anyone who knows engines should also know that more oil = more power !!!!
    if you run an engine on a dyno, you can see a small increase in power when running at 32 to 1 versus 50 to 1...
    (I expect that to be shot down too by he who don't know)

When running an engine at a couple of thousand rpm's more than it was designed for its better to lubricate as much as possible in keeping with the engine running longer.
    synthetic is not the answer in a 2 stroke engine like these older style engines, these are not a ultra modern mercury or evinrude engines with oil directly injected to certain
    parts of the engine like the later top end motors.

now if you care to browse this forum very carefully youl find there is a lot of talk about the oils and wear etc, and I think even a passage on fully synthetic versus old style oils.
    go check out the flash points of the oils and how they react with petrol at certain temps and with modern fuels, also on how they disperse compared to older types of oils.
    Also have to look at what detergents and ash are in the oils, its not as simple as many people think.

Now you have also remember your dealing with an engine with a lot of low down torque when speaking of the mercury triple that was originaly a 40hp but now converted to 60 plus hp.
    the powerband of the engine has been drastically changed and higher rpm's are being utilised, this means the torque of the engine is not as high as a normal engine of same hp rating
    would be at the lower end of the rev range.
    75hp merc for instance would have a lot more low down torque than a mega high revving 40hp that's now producing 75hp due to revving at 7000 rpm plus....

if the boat is ultra light and going to be kept ultra light and just the one person in the boat, then the flywheel could be lightened for faster take off and spin upto the desired max
    rpm possible.
    BUT if the boat is going to be used for more than one person and loaded up with fishing gear, then a lightened flywheel will be a very bad idea as none of the stored energy in the flywheel
    will be available to be used ..

with the boat hgipson is using and taking out friends on his fishing boat, a lightened flywheel is definitely not the answer and will give less than desired all round performance .
    if on the other hand he dumps all the fishing stuff, strips the boat of everything gets it mega lightweight and uses it just as an out and out racer then go ahead and lighten it up.

"Have had a few guys that use to race the 260's and 300's say they used Pennzoil full synthetic "

what is good in one type of engine is not always good in another. why do you think there are so many different types of oil ?
    and don't even think about comparing your triple to a 260 or 300, they are totally different engines.

phil I went back and read carefully your explanation of lightened flywheels and what you thought about different oils and the difference between v-6's and inline 3cyl's I have ran both on fishing boats and raced both for a lot of years. had lightened flywheels on fishing rigs as well as racing motors also ran lightened flywheels on several different types of 2cyl outboards you are wrong On all statements you made. my knowledge comes from experience. I have never had any idle problems on fishing motors or racing motors period YOU ARE WRONG.
    Strictly business

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PDT...

knows everything about flywheels, outboard oil, steel jack plates, but he doesn't know what kind of water pressure gauge he needs to get for his 60hp Johnson

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Zero to 30 psi, right?

Jeff

pdt

well there ya go stratos
    you don't understand about stored energy in a flywheel.
    I can understand this being a problem for you, maybe you need to go look up some information about what flywheels actually do and how the energy is stored and why its
    needed to have a flywheel.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You are talking about the momentum that the flywheel carries when you let off. I was thinking what you meant was you could get a random extra bit of energy when running like using NO2. Your explanation is very vague earlier, hence why I didn't know what you were talking about in "it". You still ain't convinced me.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pretty good explanation of flywheel energy.

Scene: Irwindale Raceway in the early 70s. They had this (dopey) class for cars without front end sheet metal. Seriously; the motor and radiator was sitting out there totally visible.

Guy had a 56 Chevy with the usual small block. Reved the snorts out of it and dropped the hammer. The motor mounts must have been weak, for when the motor shifted violently, the distributor cap shattered on that firewall pocket the 55/56/57 Chevies had. (Remember that, you old guys!)

What happened next is vivid in my memory after all these years: The SILENT race car wheeled out of the hole and was hundreds of feet down the strip before it rolled to a stop--and solely due to flywheel inertia/ momentum.

Jeff

pdt

well I cannot be held responsible for how you interpret things.
    I have said many times that although we all talk the English language, there is a huge difference in USA v English when it comes to reading stuff on the net.
    but think of any time the prop comes loose for example, the momentum carries on by the inertia of the flywheel type of thing.

A heavy flywheel also helps the crankshaft bearings.
    there will no doubt be those who say this is also wrong, people can believe what they like, that is their prerogative.

you have plenty of internet access and im sure you also have many books on engines etc, just go look it up its not hard to find info on flywheels.
    the whole subject of flywheels can be very interesting and very enlightening (pardon the pun).

you might get a few suprises on the way when you understand how they work.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A heavy flywheel also helps the crankshaft bearings.

Thread Information