Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HGipson View Post
    Alright back on the drawing board. What's y'all's favorite or preferred type of oil to run in these motors? Had several guys throw Klotz outboard oil and that's the direction I think I'm gonna go. Have had a few guys that use to race the 260's and 300's say they used Pennzoil full synthetic. Either way wanting to run a synthetic oil since my motor is good and broke in and ready to roll
    Klotz, KL-333 or R-50, the kl-333 burns cleaner.
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MWhite View Post
    Klotz, KL-333 or R-50, the kl-333 burns cleaner.
    Can't go wrong with those oils.

We have had good success with pennzoil blend in our race motors and they have lots of hours on them. Also like the castor bean oils whether klotz or Maxima 927, both of the bean oils have a higher flash point then the pennzoil, but the pennzoil blend is dirt cheap. We mix the race motors 25:1 for a better ring seal and the higher rpms, might be a tad oil rich for your applications. Never seen an idle issue with a cut flywheel either.

pdt

flywheels.
    lightening a flywheel does make a difference to idle, why do you think that outboard engines have very heavy flywheels ???? do you think marine outboard company's get
    the metal for free and just put heavy flywheels on to make the engines heavier ?

as for oil,
    fully synthetic oil will wear a 2 stroke out faster, as like I said its very flammable, a lot more flammable that the normal tcw3 stuff.
    you could get better performance, but at the cost of engine life.
    tcw3 is far better for lubrication, the fully synthetic does run cleaner due to it burning up more and thus give a cleaner run and less smoke,
    but does NOT lubricate as good.. Lubrication is the main thing to go for as in longevity of a 2 stroke engine.
    Also a lot of people talk of using far less oil in their engines when running fully synthetic, anyone who knows engines should also know that more oil = more power !!!!
    if you run an engine on a dyno, you can see a small increase in power when running at 32 to 1 versus 50 to 1...
    (I expect that to be shot down too by he who don't know)

When running an engine at a couple of thousand rpm's more than it was designed for its better to lubricate as much as possible in keeping with the engine running longer.
    synthetic is not the answer in a 2 stroke engine like these older style engines, these are not a ultra modern mercury or evinrude engines with oil directly injected to certain
    parts of the engine like the later top end motors.

now if you care to browse this forum very carefully youl find there is a lot of talk about the oils and wear etc, and I think even a passage on fully synthetic versus old style oils.
    go check out the flash points of the oils and how they react with petrol at certain temps and with modern fuels, also on how they disperse compared to older types of oils.
    Also have to look at what detergents and ash are in the oils, its not as simple as many people think.

Now you have also remember your dealing with an engine with a lot of low down torque when speaking of the mercury triple that was originaly a 40hp but now converted to 60 plus hp.
    the powerband of the engine has been drastically changed and higher rpm's are being utilised, this means the torque of the engine is not as high as a normal engine of same hp rating
    would be at the lower end of the rev range.
    75hp merc for instance would have a lot more low down torque than a mega high revving 40hp that's now producing 75hp due to revving at 7000 rpm plus....

if the boat is ultra light and going to be kept ultra light and just the one person in the boat, then the flywheel could be lightened for faster take off and spin upto the desired max
    rpm possible.
    BUT if the boat is going to be used for more than one person and loaded up with fishing gear, then a lightened flywheel will be a very bad idea as none of the stored energy in the flywheel
    will be available to be used ..

with the boat hgipson is using and taking out friends on his fishing boat, a lightened flywheel is definitely not the answer and will give less than desired all round performance .
    if on the other hand he dumps all the fishing stuff, strips the boat of everything gets it mega lightweight and uses it just as an out and out racer then go ahead and lighten it up.

"Have had a few guys that use to race the 260's and 300's say they used Pennzoil full synthetic "

what is good in one type of engine is not always good in another. why do you think there are so many different types of oil ?
    and don't even think about comparing your triple to a 260 or 300, they are totally different engines.

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

If it idles bad cuz of lightened fly wheel, ya took too much off. Well, if ya took too much off wouldn't hardly run I suspect. I got 5 pound 4oz off mine. Idles great. Till I get bored and start messin with it ha. Also, klotz outboard oil is awesome stuff. And I think it smells like both country scent laundry wash and baby shampoo. If I'm the only one I'll shut up

pdt

wow just think of the millions of tons of wasted metal all the outboard makers used over the years.
    mercury ,evinrude, Suzuki, yamaha, tohatsu, not one of their engine designers knew about making the flywheels lighter hey, how strange !!!
    they all just put on great big heavy flywheels for nothing.

if only they had known what they were doing hey......

I bet the Chinese will love this knowledge, they like to scrimp on stuff,.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    wow just think of the millions of tons of wasted metal all the outboard makers used over the years.
    mercury ,evinrude, Suzuki, yamaha, tohatsu, not one of their engine designers knew about making the flywheels lighter hey, how strange !!!

Through the year's I have run and seen all kind's of lightened fly wheels on all kind's of outboards some even made like flex plates out of 125 guage aluminum even the starter ring made of aluminum that weigh almost nothing.these flywheels never caused any idle problems at all. I have run a lot of different oil's at extremely high rpm's spraying nitrous and have not had the problems that you are talking about.
    Strictly business

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post

Well I guess the flexplate flywheel design engineers at places like second effort must have been kinda stupid then to, same as those engineers that design the heavier flywheels and flywheel weight kits for the two stroke race dirt bikes. It all depends on the application and how you want to deliver the power.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

then a lightened flywheel will be a very bad idea as none of the stored energy in the flywheel
    will be available to be used ..

Phill, I don't understand what you mean as in the stored energy in the flywheel. Is that like a quick boost of power you can get out of it for a few seconds??

If it is the momentum of the heavy flywheel you are referring to, the heavier the flywheel is requires more power to accelerate it to a faster speed and takes longer for the motor to spool back down. I think the reason for the heavier flywheels is to keep some of the motors that have an unstable idle like the 45ci OMC's to keep from pinging at idle, or hit and miss idle.

Post Thanks / Like

phil, you the most negative person on this web site. when i see your name on here i skip the page.
    out front again

pdt

Ok let have the answer from
    MWhite only on this.

why do they put heavy flywheels on outboard engines ?

now that is an easy enough question, come on mike lets hear it.
    I don't expect a boy from your area to know a great deal about inertia and stored energy or mass, so just a simple explanation from you will suffice.

Thread Information