Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

Post Thanks / Like

not mad, just trying to get my boat up to speed,moss point eace just around the corner, to be the man i got to outrun the man.(srg) call me i lost all my cell phone numbers.
    out front again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    ahh isn't that's nice,
    omcstratos sticking up for his idol again, how cute .
    its so sweet I can almost hear everyone going ahh, even I am touched by the sweetness of this act of affection,

Now on a serious Note , what is it that you actually know omcstratos ?
    you like to agree on taking the piss out of me with your friend and mentor. BUT where have you been all these years working and getting all this knowledge ?
    did you go to college at Harvard ,Yale, or some special school of engineering

come on stand up for yourself and explain to me and everyone else here what flywheels are all about and why they are on engines and what the difference is between a flywheels
    momentum and its physical nature when in motion.
    tell me why it acts like a gyro scope and how it could or could not benefit an outboard engine of any size.
    tell me the reason you would lighten it ? and by what amount you would consider reasonable and then how you would go about working this out.
    explain to me the pro's and con's of its mass versus its actual weight.
    tell me the ideal diameter of a flywheel for the 59 cu inch mercury or any particular outboard engine you care to use as your pattern for the discussion.
    you can then explain to me what metal you would use for this flywheel and at what rpm,s would be this flywheels limit and again why and what would happen if this rpm was to be exceeded .
    Once you have written this, as im sure your so well up on the dynamics of a flywheel and know a lot more than those at Hardy Spicer, you can then tell me how to balance the flywheel.
    Then once you have explained this you can tell me about the properties of synthetic oils and mineral oils, there physical make up, flash points and ash values and emulsifying properties

come on you know a lot more than I do, its obvious that you do, or you wouldn't just jump on the bandwagon and believe im always wrong and join in with having a go at me.

please enlighten us all here with your knowledge.

I think you don't know anything about any of the above, please prove me wrong.

Why don't u enlighten everyone phil. This is the very BS that omc and mr bill and everyone on here is talking about, your running everyone down showing your a$$, and u attacking everybody. U explain your version about the flywheel mr expert engineer?????
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

ahh isn't that's nice,
    omcstratos sticking up for his idol again, how cute .
    Its so sweet i can almost hear everyone going ahh, even i am touched by the sweetness of this act of affection,

now on a serious note , what is it that you actually know omcstratos ?
    You like to agree on taking the piss out of me with your friend and mentor. But where have you been all these years working and getting all this knowledge ?
    Did you go to college at harvard ,yale, or some special school of engineering

come on stand up for yourself and explain to me and everyone else here what flywheels are all about and why they are on engines and what the difference is between a flywheels
    momentum and its physical nature when in motion.
    Tell me why it acts like a gyro scope and how it could or could not benefit an outboard engine of any size.
    Tell me the reason you would lighten it ? And by what amount you would consider reasonable and then how you would go about working this out.
    Explain to me the pro's and con's of its mass versus its actual weight.
    Tell me the ideal diameter of a flywheel for the 59 cu inch mercury or any particular outboard engine you care to use as your pattern for the discussion.
    You can then explain to me what metal you would use for this flywheel and at what rpm,s would be this flywheels limit and again why and what would happen if this rpm was to be exceeded .
    Once you have written this, as im sure your so well up on the dynamics of a flywheel and know a lot more than those at hardy spicer, you can then tell me how to balance the flywheel.
    Then once you have explained this you can tell me about the properties of synthetic oils and mineral oils, there physical make up, flash points and ash values and emulsifying properties

come on you know a lot more than i do, its obvious that you do, or you wouldn't just jump on the bandwagon and believe im always wrong and join in with having a go at me.

Please enlighten us all here with your knowledge.

I think you don't know anything about any of the above, please prove me wrong.

this is what i know for a fact.....there was a group of engineers that designed a boat that they said was the biggest, fastest and most unsinkable boat ever built , and on its first trip out they were right, almost it was the fastest boat to the bottom of the ocean and we all know where it was desighned and built and what its name was need i say more.
    Strictly business

pdt

yes you are correct hank
    it was actually built in Ireland not England.
    it was designed by an Irishman too, not English.
    it sank very quickly as you say, .
    I take it you did also know where the charts for its voyage were designed made and printed ? ENGLAND.

if only the captain had taken notice of the English charts and kept to the original course we would probably never of even heard of the titanic..

MWhite
    don't try twisting it all again, let omcstratos answer for himself, you had a go at a simple question , you then answered the question a while back and made a
    complete Pratt of yourself in doing so and any engineer who saw will be smiling to himself.
    let stratos do his bit, ya never know he might be able to dig a load up off google within an hour or so ,
    whatever he does it wont be worse than yours that's for sure, especially after all the bragging you've done about knowing stuff etc and condemning me while making such a hash of it ha ha .

must admit I was almost fooled that you really knew stuff and was going to come up with a sensible answer to the flywheel question, but with your answer you proved your knowledge.
    But I really did appreciate the laugh it gave me, it really was good.

as for the above question to be answered by me would be a travesty, I shalkl llet omcstratos give his own reply.

come on stratos, show them all that your not a dummy who just follows the pack.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

got to agree on the weight stuff.
    the very plainest of boats do seem to be the quickest .
    Quote Originally Posted by HankFrazier View Post
    allway's keep in mind no matter what type of rig you run EVERY POUND SLOWES YOU DOWN.
    For once you agree with someone on here. Removing a pound here and there adds up. But why would you want to put a heavy flywheel on the motor and weigh it back down? You may be an engineer, but I can find a lot of your questions on here that give me reason to think you still aren't a know it all.

And you say you know everything about oil, but you make is sound like you learned it all from an oil thread on here recently. You keep contradicting yourself.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And PDT, I'd like to hear your explanation about "stored energy" of a flywheel.

Post Thanks / Like

yes you are correct hank
    I take it you did also know where the charts for its voyage were designed made and printed ? ENGLAND.

if only the captain had taken notice of the English charts and kept to the original course we would probably never of even heard of the titanic..

MWhite
    don't try twisting it all again, let omcstratos answer for himself, you had a go at a simple question , you then answered the question a while back and made a
    complete Pratt of yourself in doing so and any engineer who saw will be smiling to himself.
    let stratos do his bit, ya never know he might be able to dig a load up off google within an hour or so ,
    whatever he does it wont be worse than yours that's for sure, especially after all the bragging you've done about knowing stuff etc and condemning me while making such a hash of it ha ha .

must admit I was almost fooled that you really knew stuff and was going to come up with a sensible answer to the flywheel question, but with your answer you proved your knowledge.

as for the above question to be answered by me would be a travesty, I shalkl llet omcstratos give his own reply.

I may be wrong but I think northern Ireland is a part and governed by the uk.
    Strictly business

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You were on here a month ago and didn't understand the torque vs. horsepower. You didn't understand how the torque curve falls while horsepower keeps pulling on up. But now you are an expert on flywheels and oil lubrication qualities.

Post Thanks / Like

yes you are correct hank

MWhite

no no I aint twisted nothin , U ANSWER THE QUESTION, Don't try to avoid and worn your self out of this!!!!!!!! Lets here it,, everybody listening.
    Let it all Hang out

pdt

you are correct that your not an engineer

But you have butted in and made yourself look a proper knobhead just like mike.
    unless you know what your talking about or atleast have an idea then don't join in and attack just because your boyfriend is attacking someone.
    flywheel being heavy helps the crankshaft with vibration, it keeps an engine from stalling at slow speed, it creates more torque once it gets spinning.
    now with a boat engine that needs to push a heavy boat or a loaded boat we need a heavy flywheel for slow speed, if only going fast and full rpm 99% of the time it could be lightened.
    but it would not be of any use to keep any power in the engine !!!!!!
    sometime a go a topic came up about horsepower and torque etc, it was about torque dropping off and hp still rising... if the flywheel was heavy it would make this possible, but if the flywheel is very
    light then what happens if we get a touch of cavitaion on a bend or coming out of a corner ? where is the stored energy going to come from / because the flywheel has not got enough in it.
    a heavy flywheel is slower to get going, but also slower to stop it.

I do not profess to know it all, there is ****loads of outboard parts that I have never delved into and would not ever attempt to argue about.
    plus when it comes to outboard electrics I am a nightmare waiting to happen, electrics I have never been any good with at all.

there is nowhere on this or any other forum where I have ever argued anything on porting an engine, how to enlarge the ports or how to move the port timming.
    ive never done it to a outboard and know much about outboard porting.
    I have never argued about lots of stuff on the outboard engines, if its something I do not know and think it will be of value to me I will ask the question.
    But I am not daft like so many , and can instantly see total bollocks when its written.

as for the oil, then no I have not just read it on here and copied it etc. there is some on here ,its pretty basic stuff.

If you read what I wrote you woukld notice I talked about keeping the engine, not going fast and not caring if it gets destroyed in just 1 race.
    Any engineer or real racer on here will know that more oil has proven to give more power, not saying its a huge increase but it is an increase.
    I have not contradicted myself, the answers and questions I raised have been twisted and turned by others to maybe look like I have contradicted all sorts, but again go
    back and look for yourself.
    don't just take things out of context like some fools do, read the passage just like it has been written.

I have not and have never professed to be an expert engineer, an engine designer or a professor of science and physics.

Thread Information