Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

pdt

quote from MWhite
    " Heavy flywheels were put on some 2 stroke motors (such as the 40 3cyl merc),, cause it helps or aids in the starting of the motor in case the
    electric start don't work and can still be crank by rope, The centrifugal force helps

Attached Images Attached Images  

pdt

please stop
    my ribs are killing me with the pain from laughter.

Tanks very much for your words of wisdom, you really have cheered me up tonight, its raining here and very miserable, but these classics from you have
    made me and a few friends very happy.

you must work for caterpillar going by the size of the hole your digging yourself into

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

any ways, thay are jittery at low revs with a lighter fly wheel, some more than others, a heavy wheel stores momentum, ........

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post
    any ways, thay are jittery at low revs with a lighter fly wheel, some more than others, a heavy wheel stores momentum, ........
    That's what I was saying with the 2 banger OMC's. The older 80s models were so inconsistent, they would fire then skip a few revolutions then fire again at idle. I think older electronics played a part in that though. The short stroke and large bore didn't help either.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    Ok let have the answer from
    MWhite only on this.

why do they put heavy flywheels on outboard engines ?

now that is an easy enough question, come on mike lets hear it.
    I don't expect a boy from your area to know a great deal about inertia and stored energy or mass, so just a simple explanation from you will suffice.

And Phill you wouldn't last a minute down here saying that in the southeast. Why you gotta be that way?

pdt

"The short stroke and large bore didn't help either"
    ha ha ha ha ha

and another quote
    "the point I was trying to make was that lighten flywheel does not effect the idle of the motor"

oh this is Brilliant stuff
    do you have any more like this. ?
    definitely worthy of its own colum all this funny stuff .

Hey stratos, do you think this is the right way to go.. "whatever you say is fine by me mike... my hero "
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

quote from MWhite
    " Heavy flywheels were put on some 2 stroke motors (such as the 40 3cyl merc),, cause it helps or aids in the starting of the motor in case the
    electric start don't work and can still be crank by rope, The centrifugal force helps

I remember back in 1989 when the v-4 comp guy's were running there was a couple of them running v-4 omc motors with no fly wheel at all on the motor they had a small belt pully on the crank driving the magneto for fire the starter enguaged a gear on the mag.they were drag racing and had no idleing problems that I can remember.
    As somebody that has pull started a few outboards in my time with lightened fly wheels on them and had my fingers almost yanked off more times than I care to remember MIKE WHITE IS RIGHT the heavy flywheel on a pull start motor helps to stop the kick back by using the weight of the forward motion.
    Strictly business

Post Thanks / Like

with a lightened flywheel the idle will be poor, as too will be trolling !!!!!
    lightened is only good for acceleration, no gain in top end at all.
    regards oil... synthetic is not as good for lubrication due to synthetic being flammable and it burns more !!!!!
    for the engine life stick to normal outboard 2 stroke oil, quicksilver for example.
    your not wanting to be rebuilding the engine every 20 hours , so be careful what your doing, its ok going fast, but there is a huge price to pay for it.
    most people n here racing their engines getting mega high performance are willing to sacrifice pistons and rings.. are you prepared for this, or do you
    want it to be a long lasting reliable engine? if so stick to good old fashioned 2 stroke oil at around 50 to 1 or if going over 6,000 rpm 32-1.

have you got a tacho fitted yet to see what rpm's your turning ?
    phil this is boat racing facts not amateur hour most people on here are real racers trying to learn things and to help fellow racers get all they can out of there boats and motors I have looked back on your posts and you are not helping anybody with the bull **** you are shoveling,you need to find another site where you might be helpful you may fool some people on here that knows nothing about making a boat go fast but to the real racers on here you are a amateur,get you a real race boat and go race for about 10 years then you may qualify to get on here and give advice. FROM NOW ON WHEN I SEE YOUR POST I WON'T EVEN READ THEM YOU HAVE NOTHING POSTIVE TO CONTRIBUTE.
    Strictly business

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what y'all are talking about. PDT knows how to make his boat fast and would probably smoke anyone that tries to race him. His 13foot boat with a 60hp can go a whopping 38mph. Heres his video and man does it fly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omcstratos View Post
    I don't know what y'all are talking about. PDT knows how to make his boat fast and would probably smoke anyone that tries to race him. His 13foot boat with a 60hp can go a whopping 38mph. Heres his video and man does it fly!

that's pretty funny

seeing this thread is about 59ci mercs,i have a lightened flywheel on mine .it starts fine and idles fine no worries at all.spins up a bit quicker topend is pretty much the same ..
    pdt, hp already said it runs fine on his rig along with a lot of others.it may not work on omc's,i wouldn't know I don't run one.i don't get what the problem is????

Thread Information