Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

pdt

Mwhite
    please calm down a bit, your getting all excited and making mistakes again... have another beer or get omcstratos to give you a massage with some scented oils or hog fat or whatever you prefer.
    the way your getting so excited you'll end up having an heart attack. it wont be fun without you here making me look so good.

Hank you have said your bit correctly to a point.
    you know exactly how to set a boat up as an all out fast raceboat, yes I have to say that is what you do very well.
    but the engine in question is not repeat not being fitted to a lightweight raceboat or used for just drag racing or oval racing, its going on an everyday fishing runabout used for
    hunting and the likes and often with atleast 2 men on board it..
    this boat will need a engine that will idle and pull a heavy load at slow speeds as well as going faster than average for its original hp size.
    this engine is NOT a special with lightened crank,special lightweight rods and pistons, and its nothing special on the gearbox neither.
    a full on raceboat is an entirely different set up as you know very well.
    you would not expect your best race engine to perform on a heavy cruiser with your race prop fitted would you ?

explain to me why omc and all other makes fitted heavy flywheels to their fishing motors, not the race engines, the fishing motors, ?
    did they do their very best to make these engines perform so badly, what a strange and very costly agenda.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MWhite View Post
    A heavy flywheel also helps the crankshaft bearing,, What a crock of sht. Gos to show phil don't have any knowledge on this topic, phil u need a ladder for that hole your digging for your self. ITS GETTING DEEP.
    You struck any oil down there yet phil?

pdt

omc stratos
    go look at your video you put on again.
    it shows I am right you dope. did you notice the disc still spinning without any power running to it , and what does the man say causes this ?
    here is a simple way you might understand
    http://www.ehow.com/list_6149558_fun...flywheel_.html

I think a good few of you need to learn a hell of a lot more about engineering.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    omc stratos
    go look at your video you put on again.
    it shows I am right you dope. did you notice the disc still spinning without any power running to it , and what does the man say causes this ?

Phil what don't you understand about outboard applications. Do you want to let off the throttle at full speed and have the boat to continue providing thrust for another 150 yards into the river bank where you crash and die?

Also, do you want to be slower in a drag race and lose because you are waiting on getting your flywheel up to speed?

pdt

here is a piece I found on this very site tonight.
    it was posted by zul8tr.i think page 3 of " what 2 stroke oil are you all running

this is the paragraph at the end of a particular post, I think its page 3 .. its not by me but a few of you might find it interesting, its about more oil producing more power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pre-mix ratios and power production

I have run Dyno tests on this subject. We used a Dynojet dynamometer, and used a fresh, broken in top-end for each test. We used specially calibrated jets to ensure the fuel flow was identical with each different ratio, and warmed the engine at 3000 rpm for 3 minutes before each run. Our tests were performed in the rpm range of 2500 to 9000 rpm, with the power peak of our test bike (a modifed '86 YZ 250, mine) occuring at 8750 rpm. We tested at 76 degrees F, at 65% relative humidity. We started at 10:1, and went to 100:1. Our results showed that a two-stroke engine makes its best power at 18:1. Any more oil than that, and the engine ran poorly, because we didn't have any jets rich enough to compensate for that much oil in the fuel, and the burn-characteristics of the fuel with that much oil tended to be poor. The power loss from 18:1 to 32:1 was approximately 2 percent. The loss from 18:1 to 50:1 was nearly 9 percent. On a modern 250, that can be as much as 4 horsepower. The loss from 18:1 to 100:1 was nearly 18 percent. The reason for the difference in output is simple. More oil provides a better seal between the ring and the cylinder wall.

Now, I realize that 18:1 is impractical unless you ride your engine all-out, keeping it pinned at all times. But running reasonable ratios no less than 32:1 will produce more power, and give your engine better protection, thus making it perform better for longer.

As a side note, I no longer run 26:1, I now run 32:1. I'm not a young man any more, and I just can't push as hard as I used to, so I don't need as much oil now. 32:1 is enough oil to do what is needed for me now, since I'm getting slow...

.this is on this site and was talked about in great detail, by yellow jacket, zul8tr and many others .
    like I say not anything by me so as youl see its not a joke about more oil producing more power,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omcstratos View Post
    For once you agree with someone on here. Removing a pound here and there adds up. But why would you want to put a heavy flywheel on the motor and weigh it back down? You may be an engineer, but I can find a lot of your questions on here that give me reason to think you still aren't a know it all.

And you say you know everything about oil, but you make is sound like you learned it all from an oil thread on here recently. You keep contradicting yourself.
    here is a piece I found on this very site tonight.
    it was posted by zul8tr.i think page 3 of " what 2 stroke oil are you all running

this is the paragraph at the end of a particular post, I think its page 3 .. its not by me but a few of you might find it interesting, its about more oil producing more power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pre-mix ratios and power production

I have run Dyno tests on this subject. We used a Dynojet dynamometer, and used a fresh, broken in top-end for each test. We used specially calibrated jets to ensure the fuel flow was identical with each different ratio, and warmed the engine at 3000 rpm for 3 minutes before each run. Our tests were performed in the rpm range of 2500 to 9000 rpm, with the power peak of our test bike (a modifed '86 YZ 250, mine) occuring at 8750 rpm. We tested at 76 degrees F, at 65% relative humidity. We started at 10:1, and went to 100:1. Our results showed that a two-stroke engine makes its best power at 18:1. Any more oil than that, and the engine ran poorly, because we didn't have any jets rich enough to compensate for that much oil in the fuel, and the burn-characteristics of the fuel with that much oil tended to be poor. The power loss from 18:1 to 32:1 was approximately 2 percent. The loss from 18:1 to 50:1 was nearly 9 percent. On a modern 250, that can be as much as 4 horsepower. The loss from 18:1 to 100:1 was nearly 18 percent. The reason for the difference in output is simple. More oil provides a better seal between the ring and the cylinder wall.

Now, I realize that 18:1 is impractical unless you ride your engine all-out, keeping it pinned at all times. But running reasonable ratios no less than 32:1 will produce more power, and give your engine better protection, thus making it perform better for longer.

As a side note, I no longer run 26:1, I now run 32:1. I'm not a young man any more, and I just can't push as hard as I used to, so I don't need as much oil now. 32:1 is enough oil to do what is needed for me now, since I'm getting slow...

.this is on this site and was talked about in great detail, by yellow jacket, zul8tr and many others .
    like I say not anything by me so as youl see its not a joke about more oil producing more power,
    I think I win that one.

pdt

a few more interesting articles

and no I did not write these, they are on the web for anyone to read. but they are very relevant to this topic .

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com...oilpremix6.pdf

http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm

hope your reading these omcstratos and the sbg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    I do not know where you get your information, but everything you have said about flywheels and 2stroke oils, especially concerning Mercs is totally false!!!!! Bearing saving, energy, idling, etc (you ever seen a 2.5EFI Merc?)..............none of those are even close to being the truth..............

and yes, I do have an idea of what I am talking about, as I have 22yrs of certified Mercury experience and racing experience.....still am and still do....

I have a 50hp with a stock powerhead that will easily run 80+ MPH.....

heavy flywheels are alot cheaper (that being the key item!) and easier to make than an aluminum lightweight one.....

mercguy, we been trying to get this across to him for a month,, but hes to stubborn to believe anything that anyone tells him. he don't comprehend things cause he reads what comes out of books are hearsay.
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

Mwhite
    please calm down a bit, your getting all excited and making mistakes again... have another beer or get omcstratos to give you a massage with some scented oils or hog fat or whatever you prefer.
    the way your getting so excited you'll end up having an heart attack. it wont be fun without you here making me look so good.

Hank you have said your bit correctly to a point.
    you know exactly how to set a boat up as an all out fast raceboat, yes I have to say that is what you do very well.
    but the engine in question is not repeat not being fitted to a lightweight raceboat or used for just drag racing or oval racing, its going on an everyday fishing runabout used for
    hunting and the likes and often with atleast 2 men on board it..
    this boat will need a engine that will idle and pull a heavy load at slow speeds as well as going faster than average for its original hp size.
    this engine is NOT a special with lightened crank,special lightweight rods and pistons, and its nothing special on the gearbox neither.
    a full on raceboat is an entirely different set up as you know very well.
    you would not expect your best race engine to perform on a heavy cruiser with your race prop fitted would you ?

explain to me why omc and all other makes fitted heavy flywheels to their fishing motors, not the race engines, the fishing motors, ?
    did they do their very best to make these engines perform so badly, what a strange and very costly agenda.
    This is where I'm at with this whole deal pdt you keep trying to get to 45mph with your boat and motor doing it your way and I will keep on trying to go 90mph with mine doing it my way and next year at this same time give me a pm and we will see who has gained the most speed.this thread has gotten real old and is not helpful to anybody.
    Strictly business

Post Thanks / Like

They dyno a modified 1986 250 dirt bike not a outboard motor, fuel oil ratio may vary from outboard motor.
    Let it all Hang out

Thread Information