Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Special View Post
    Thanks guys. My friend in Little rock did it for me
    That the one Brandon did?

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MWhite View Post
    I hook mind up kinda like nason said, except i run the wires on the inside of the cowling, gray wire off regulator gos to the signal on tach, black wire from tach i ground to block, and the red wire i run from the hot side of the solenoid to toggle switch and the other leg gos to tach. both ways will work.
    What setting y'all using on back of y'all's tach?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

6 pulse

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to add some set back and trim wedges sometime in the next week or so and see how she does. Still trying to decide on a prop though haven't made up my mind if a thru hub or over hub would better for this set up.

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

How much more set back u gonna go with? Did u say u have 5.5" now? I do have a set of bobs 2" spacers and some wedges id prolly sale

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any setback yet I've just been trying it out mounted on the transom Cav plate about 1" high. Gonna try 5.5" first and raise the Cav plate about 2.75-3" above the bottom. I'm looking to get some wedges this coming week what are the spacers ?

pdt

think youl need to go up atleast 5 inches if using a setback of 5 inches.
    Ive put a setback of 5 inches on and gone up 7 inch from transom bottom to cav plate and will be trying that.

Most of the guys on here are running short shaft engines on setback and still raise them up, so that's atleast 5 or 6 inch from the bottom.
    I need to see what mine is going to be like, but I think I might need another 2 inches of setback.
    problem is will the transoms take the extra leverage that 5 inch back puts on the transom ? its like adding an extra 100 pounds in weight
    when going back that far.

hope you get some good results with yours, need to compare the speeds with same prop, and watch the water pressure stays good.

what is the max hp rating for your boat ?
    and why do you need the wedges ? wont the trim be enough ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    think youl need to go up atleast 5 inches if using a setback of 5 inches.
    Ive put a setback of 5 inches on and gone up 7 inch from transom bottom to cav plate and will be trying that.

Most of the guys on here are running short shaft engines on setback and still raise them up, so that's atleast 5 or 6 inch from the bottom.
    I need to see what mine is going to be like, but I think I might need another 2 inches of setback.
    problem is will the transoms take the extra leverage that 5 inch back puts on the transom ? its like adding an extra 100 pounds in weight
    when going back that far.

hope you get some good results with yours, need to compare the speeds with same prop, and watch the water pressure stays good.

what is the max hp rating for your boat ?
    and why do you need the wedges ? wont the trim be enough ?
    on my flat bottom i run 5 inches back and the center of prop shaft even with bottom of boat
    Strictly business

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I won't have a low water pickup so Ill be running mine buried. Mid 50's is all I'm after anyway but one day I might find another motor and go a little wilder with! PDT my hp rating on my boat is 40-70 so I'm legally under that with the "40" I've got in there. This boat is a 1648 so I need a little more than the 20 degrees by the angle the transom is on the boats. I'm going to buy a CMC kick plate BA-130 and make some stops for it to add the neutral trim angle I'm needing instead of trim wedges which would do the same thing. Just less parts between the motor and the transom the better when your jumping beaver dams and logs

pdt

20 degree is plenty, why would you want the engine running with it pointing towards the sky ?
    engines go faster when the shaft is running level with the surface of the water, no way is that engine going to be NOT level on just the trim.

and you don't have a 40hp, as soon as you opened it up it became the 60hp engine again, the 40's are only 60hp engines detuned.
    I only asked what the boat was rated for as for strain on the transom with the weight and the extra strain with a setback.
    by having just 5 inches of setback is like adding another 50 pound to the boat due to leverage of the setback.
    but if its rated for upto 70hp then it should be just about on its limit with the setback. you have to remember that engines is no lightweight for a 60hp.
    the merc triples are in the 240 pound bracket, then you have the weight of setback, and even the wedges if you fit them.

going up 5 inches will not affect the water pick up from ive been told on this and the other forums, will know for sure soon as im going up by 6" from the bottom to
    run the propshaft 1 inch below the bottom of boat, there is a few on here that run even higher without low water pick ups ..

don't your motor have power trim n tilt already built in ?

Thread Information