Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well she did good on the maiden voyage/break in today. Never had a motor that even compares to this one. Easy to start, runs like a scalded ape and sounds like a Harley ! I don care how fast it ends up being it sounds good enough to make up for it! Thanks to all that pitched in a gave advice. Only problem I had today was the two bleeder hoses on the block behind the harness/starter had a split on the end and leaked a little fuel/oil but I got that fixed quick and she's ready to roll again hopefully!

pdt

Glad to hear you have it all back and running sweet
    but You should not know yet how quick it runs !!!!! needs a good amount of time running in,especially if had a few mods done too.
    How long have you run the engine for ?
    I was thinking this was fully rebuilt engine, and if so would need a good few hours before even attempting to open it up.

Unless the gearcase has been drilled it should not sound any different to any other mercury triple. if it sounds like a Harley its broke !!!!!

2 smokes never sound like 4 strokes

Glad it runs good for ya, now ya just need to go find the right prop for it.

have you got a jack plate for it ? is this a short shaft motor ?

nice to have a rebuilt engine that runs good from the word go, the mercs and omc triples always seem to start easy compared to the 4 bangers.
    the 4 cylinder mercs ive had were pigs to start.
    Now your a member of the black cat gang too.

wish I still had my merc 3 cylinder.
    still got 2 decals for just incase I get another one ha ha

Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't fully opened it up yet its got about 2-3 hrs on it of break in time and a tank of double oil gas through it. I'm gonna still take it easy for a while. It starts perfect everytime and never died once all afternoon yesterday. Just meant it sounds good. I cut and welded the tuner why it sounds the way it does. Doesn't sound any different than any of the videos I've seen though. I've got a few of the ole 4 cyl Merc classics I ran one of em for 10 years and it was always a little cold natured but would start right up the rest f the day. That old motor took me everywhere I wanted to go and never let me down though! And that's why all I've got is black motors today! I rebuilt my 25 Merc last spring and took it out for break in. Ran it about an hour up and down then I let her breath wide open. Didn't hurt a thing but this motor is fully built up besides fly wheel lightening (next), so I'm gonna take it easy for a little while. Right now the motor is running mounted on the back of the boat. Gonna get a break away CMC 130 and see how she does. Might eventually get a jack plate too but I'm not gonna get too crazy with it for a while

Post Thanks / Like

i hope you enjoy your hot rod merc, be safe and ride with a smile.
    out front again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ima75man View Post
    i hope you enjoy your hot rod merc, be safe and ride with a smile.
    Don't know about the safe part but I will for sure be riding with a smile man! Thanks man. I never woulda thought these things would run like they do until you get one!

pdt

when you say you can and welded the tuner, what exactly did you do ?
    have you put a snout on it, or what ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My bad I cut and welded the tuner. I opened mine up quite a but at the end may eventually do it different but I did it like a few guys told me and it seems to har worked real good so far

pdt

what exactly are you talking about ?
    what end did you open up a bit ?
    how does it now fit etc
    or do you mean taken material away from inside the tuner ?

I realy have no idea as to what you have done, not read about cutting it at all.

But it seems like you are going to end up with a very fast boat and finally be a very happy chappie.
    after all this work you deserve to have what you want.

keep up the good work and post a few pictures

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I cut the length of the tuner down and welded a bell to the end. I may eventually cut it off and try something else but it's got so much torque and hp more than anything else I've ever had its unbelievable! If I could figure out how to post a video I'd show you. Its on a 1648 War Eagle duck boat with me (250) and a buddy (215) and you have to hold on when you take off or it would leave without you. My ole Etec 60 I was complaining about on here would take it a few seconds to get on plane finally break that nose down from the extra weight (Etec 250 lbs vs Merc 200lbs) and go. There really is no comparison between the two. And I haven't even gotten on it all the way still breaking it in ! I did remove a little bit of material from the exhaust plate and kind of straightened out the flow pattern a bit. There were some rough casting marks inside of it so I took those out with my die grinder and smoothed down to 1200 grit sand paper. Feels like glass. Then after I bolted the tuner back onto the plate I took and polished the joint where they met and shaved the extra gasket that was hanging out inside. I guess you would say I ported the tuner a little bit just to smooth the exhaust gas flow like you would on anything else. Any rough edges/cast marks were removed. Might not have helped much if any but I was just tinkering with it. I'm beyond a proud owner of this new Merc "40" and can't wait for duck season !

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there any tachs better than the Tiny Tach rigs for these motors? Haven't decided what I'm gonna get and don't really know what everyone else is running on theirs

Thread Information