Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

spend what's left over from hydrotec on a livorsi 8k mini tach.

ok apparently they don't make one for a 3cyl
    Last edited by omcstratos; 10-22-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: correction

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't necessarily have to be for 3cyl. 40 3 cylinder 2 stroke has the same ignition pulses as a 6cyl 4stroke. If there's a 6 pole setting on the tach you would put it on "6p." But some tachs have a 12p setting which makes things simpler. Since the 40's have a 12 pole alternator.

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Gaining more speed when hittin choppy water. That was my issue for awhile. I suggest and what helped me was movin ur center of gravity back(more setback). I've got a Bobs 5 degree wedge, atlas micro jacker and a bobs SB4. Went from 42 to 49mph. Now I'm waitin on my motor to get back from bein ported.Attachment 55206

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice! That's all good info to know. I've got a couple multi meters that have an rpm setting but one only had 4,5,6,& 8 cyl options so I may try one of them temporarily just to kinda see what I get. Cajun - I'm going to get a 5.5" set back CMC BA 130 (break away plate/kick up plate) that should help a little and a buddy had some transom wedges (Bobs 5 degree) that I'm putting on tomorrow. Yeah yest everytime I hit a little choppy water it would really start to gain speed. Wind was blowing down river and my boat was faster going upstream/into the wind than it was downstream which tells me right off the bat that I needed more trim. I'm isong a low rake prop semi cleaver yam style prop so I'm not getting a lot of bow lift there or any at all so I'm relying on my trim to compensate. Hopefully I'll get the wedges on tomorrow sometime and try em out. Will post results. Gonna check my compression again tomorrow as well after I run it a little. Yest cold after I broke it in a week ago, it was still a little higher on my top cylinder that the piston was replaced in. Middle and bottom cylinder were right around 122-125 range and the top was around 130. Rings may not have fully seated yet but I stretched it put a little more yest so maybe they're righ now!

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the cmc 5.5" manual jack when I was runnin 42. When I got out there to 8" is when I really gained. I'm 250 and my boat is a 1651 75" beam. Stock motor other than 60 carbs/timing. But I'll be getting her back in a week or 2 done up!! Yea, lemme know how urs does

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope to get a few more mph out of it and I'll be happy man. This thing starts up just as easy as my old Etec did and runs good so I couldn't ask for any more. Going to try the setback and trim wedges and see how she find then. My boat isn't real all that heavy less than 400 lbs anyway so it should get up and go with a little more trim

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 55222
    Sounds awesome for not bein on a hose. Mean sounding. Can't wait to leave key west and go home and run her!!!! Been patiently waitin!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Special View Post
    Attachment 55222
    Sounds awesome for not bein on a hose. Mean sounding. Can't wait to leave key west and go home and run her!!!! Been patiently waitin!!!
    Man that does sound mean! Where did you get your porting work done at?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cajun special it sound nice

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. My friend in Little rock did it for me

Thread Information