Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HGipson View Post
    I may have already asked this but for some of y'all that have chimed in later, what are y'all running as far as timing is concerned. Won't be turning over 7000 much if at all on this motor. Has Hydrotec reeds, Hydrotec porting work, 60 carbs, no oil injection, gutted cowling, no rev limiter, cut tuner w bell added, 1:83 gears and a few other small things. Haven't lightened the flywheel yet. On a 1648 War Eagle boat weighs about 360-375 lbs. No set back yet still working on that. Some guys have told me to advance the timing and some have said not to so I haven't touched it yet. Did check my idle timing it was a little high got to noticing my motor idles around 1000-1100 rpm needs to be around 750-800 I imagine. I can push the timing back just a hair during idle and it CIA it back to around where it needs. Butterfly's are completely closed and throttle cables are right pulling back so I'm guessing I need to adjust timing. Thanks in advance
    just wind the base idle screw back a bit mate and see how it goes.it won't mess with your max advance timming.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Think I've got it all the way back right now. May just need to check the cables again see if they are still tight or kick back the idle timing

pdt

need a video and some pics of this engine and boat to see how she looks and sounds now.
    pictures can sometimes be realy cool to look at and may possibly help others to help you !!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I am curious what cutting the tuner does and what is meant by adding a bell! Does this give hole shot or top end ?

Post Thanks / Like

tuner are all the same, i have try all kinds even elbow shape. it's all in what you like the best. the factory has spent a few bucks on tuning, i now run a factory tuner..
    out front again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The longer the tuner is the more low end you'll have and the shorter (to a point) the more top end rpm you'll have. I cut mine because everybody's I know is cut some are belled some are just cut and flared and a few I've heard are built like a cone with the factory tuner cut from the exhaust plate and welded the cone on. Don't know how much power they add but it sounds good so I'm gonna keep it! Lol. My motor is running really good and starts right up even in 19 degree weather and runs all day long duck hunting. I'm sure with a little more setup and a racing wheel it'd run over 50 with a full load ran 45 this morning with 2 250 lb guys, 4 dozen decoys, waders shells and all our other junk and that's with a factory Merc 15 p vengeance.

Post Thanks / Like

wouldn't know about 19 degree starting don't know anybody krazy enough to be on the water, unless you picking up frozen mullet ..lol ps everybody with a 59 in merc are happy happy happy
    out front again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm one of the happy owners! The 19 degree crank right up makes it even better. Hopefully it gets colder and I can stretch it out some more after those ducks!

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I got 3.8 hrs on her now. If I could get someone to come with me I would take a video to post up! Gonna try to make that happen over the holiday. She's runnin good but I still Havnt stretched out any of my speed props. Gotta warm up to her. Ran my 16p 54mph today, might coulda got a little more out of it but it's prolly a little soon to run it that hard. Took off my bobs sb4 and put the sb6 on it. Setup I believe is finally about rightAttachment 55711

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Special View Post
    Well I got 3.8 hrs on her now. If I could get someone to come with me I would take a video to post up! Gonna try to make that happen over the holiday. She's runnin good but I still Havnt stretched out any of my speed props. Gotta warm up to her. Ran my 16p 54mph today, might coulda got a little more out of it but it's prolly a little soon to run it that hard. Took off my bobs sb4 and put the sb6 on it. Setup I believe is finally about rightAttachment 55711
    Wow that's good for a 16p! What gear ratio? What exactly have you got done to your motor?

Thread Information