Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HGipson View Post
    Are there any tachs better than the Tiny Tach rigs for these motors? Haven't decided what I'm gonna get and don't really know what everyone else is running on theirs
    Get u a regular 8 grand tack, mercury has them, there around 70 to 80 dollars but there good,,,,, get away from tiny tacks.
    Let it all Hang out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike how do they hook up? You wouldn't happen to have a part number for those would ya? Thanks man

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

do you have a pull start or a electric start. If you have electric start , take the gray wire from your regulator connect it to the signal on the tach, take a black wire connect it from battery negative to the ground on back of tack, take a red wire connect it to a toggle switch 1 leg to positive on battery 1 leg to power on tach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HGipson View Post
    Mike how do they hook up? You wouldn't happen to have a part number for those would ya? Thanks man
    I hook mind up kinda like nason said, except i run the wires on the inside of the cowling, gray wire off regulator gos to the signal on tach, black wire from tach i ground to block, and the red wire i run from the hot side of the solenoid to toggle switch and the other leg gos to tach. both ways will work.
    Let it all Hang out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't had much luck finding a part number for that 8k tach. Found several 7k but only one used 8k. Appreciate the info on install. Once I find one it will be easy to set up w the info y'all have. Is there any gain by increasing the spark plug gap from the stock .040 to .045 or .050 or does it make a difference? Stock spark plugs or more expensive ones? I know that some info on these motors has to come from school of hard knocks (figuring it out the hard way). Just trying to figure out anything obvious that I have missed. Thanks yall

Post Thanks / Like

high mate,i've played with a couple of plugs.the best I've tried was ngk br8eix these are the iridium style plug,the standard ones are b8eg .these are an extended version of the bp8hn10.i ran mine with a couple of old plug washers on them so they didn't go to far into the block.i gained about 80/100 rpm not much... it didn't ping and it started strait awayand ran fine.
    I havn't tried changing the gap on any plugs yet.will be interesting to see what it dose.
    another tip you can try is cutting 3 blades of your water pump impelor,it gives you a bit better excellaration if your into that.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally let her breathe a little bit yesterday. Borrowed two props from a buddy of mine. One was a Yam Black Stainless 16" pitch other was a Ron Hill 18" semi cleaver. The Yam had a better hole shot which I figured from the nature of the prop but the RH/Signature also ran very good. Didn't have my GPS when I ran the RH but I know it was a tad over 50 mph (1648 War Eagle and me 260lbs). I got the Yam black SS up to 50 in some choppy water going up stream into the wind. I've got to get some set back and possibly some transom wedges to override the 20% Merc max trim angle. Every time I would catch a little choppy water the front would raise a little and I would gain more speed. Once I get that all figured out Ill post some more results. Going to try to find a bow lifter Merc chopper prop to try and see if a little bow lift brings this ole duck boat to life before though. Don't want much more than 5-6" of setback the tiller won't be handy to get ahold of then. But on a funny note... The plug test was almost a Greek Tragedy! I got that Merc would out and for some stupid reason let go of the boat to grab the kill lanyard and jerk. Well that baby did a Hail Mary looking back the other direction like a Ranger Bass Boat commercial !!! Just glad the motor died or it would have left me there in the middle of White River!! But on a positive note the plug test showed good color so she's burning clean ready for some more abuse!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets see some video!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Man I haven't figured out how to post any videos yet. Guess I'm technologically impaired when it comes to posting vids on here ! Lol. Somebody wants me to text a few to them they are more than welcome to post. Not anything special to y'all I don't figure my boat is still 15-20 mph slower than any of the vids I've seen of the SRG or Bog boys but its a rocket for around here duck hunting anyway! Any way to get more pos trim by moving the factory trim unit up into one of the other four bolt holes or trim wedges my only good option? Either way will work for me

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 55204
    This is the tach I put on my rig. Fed up with tiny tach

Thread Information