Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Transom shouldn't be a problem, I run 12" back and have not seen anything to make me worry about the added leverage. You can run that thing way up when you get it back some, best thing to do would be get a water pressure gauge and start jacking her on up
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  141.4 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah just keep jacking up till your w/press gauge tells you otherwise. I've plugged the upper half of my intake and still get 20psi at WOT. I have the propshaft running about 1.75" below the transom and still got to play around with props to get some rpms up higher. I wish I had a go-pro, I would post a video.

Also, that's a solid boat right there. That's on my wish list lol. How's it run?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    20 degree is plenty, why would you want the engine running with it pointing towards the sky ?
    engines go faster when the shaft is running level with the surface of the water, no way is that engine going to be NOT level on just the trim.

and you don't have a 40hp, as soon as you opened it up it became the 60hp engine again, the 40's are only 60hp engines detuned.
    I only asked what the boat was rated for as for strain on the transom with the weight and the extra strain with a setback.
    by having just 5 inches of setback is like adding another 50 pound to the boat due to leverage of the setback.
    but if its rated for upto 70hp then it should be just about on its limit with the setback. you have to remember that engines is no lightweight for a 60hp.
    the merc triples are in the 240 pound bracket, then you have the weight of setback, and even the wedges if you fit them.

going up 5 inches will not affect the water pick up from ive been told on this and the other forums, will know for sure soon as im going up by 6" from the bottom to
    run the propshaft 1 inch below the bottom of boat, there is a few on here that run even higher without low water pick ups ..

don't your motor have power trim n tilt already built in ?
    My motor weighs about 195 lbs. Says 204 on the serial tag and that was before I chunked the oil injection, carb cover, and gutted the cowling and a few other little parts that weren't needed anymore. Way lighter than 240 lbs my old Etec weighed 247 and was almost impossible to pick up by hand and mount. This motor was light enough to pick it up and stick the bolts in it no problem. Way lighter and over 10 mph faster right off the bat. 5" of setback isn't going to hurt this boat its .100 gauge all welded aluminum and I added 1/2" X 6" alumnium flat stock bolted to the transom across the back inside the boat the bolts go through. This motor should be turning well over 60 hp with what alls been done to it. Didn't take it as far as it would go but its plenty far enough for what I'll be doing and it'll last.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I may have already asked this but for some of y'all that have chimed in later, what are y'all running as far as timing is concerned. Won't be turning over 7000 much if at all on this motor. Has Hydrotec reeds, Hydrotec porting work, 60 carbs, no oil injection, gutted cowling, no rev limiter, cut tuner w bell added, 1:83 gears and a few other small things. Haven't lightened the flywheel yet. On a 1648 War Eagle boat weighs about 360-375 lbs. No set back yet still working on that. Some guys have told me to advance the timing and some have said not to so I haven't touched it yet. Did check my idle timing it was a little high got to noticing my motor idles around 1000-1100 rpm needs to be around 750-800 I imagine. I can push the timing back just a hair during idle and it CIA it back to around where it needs. Butterfly's are completely closed and throttle cables are right pulling back so I'm guessing I need to adjust timing. Thanks in advance

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omcstratos View Post
    Yeah just keep jacking up till your w/press gauge tells you otherwise. I've plugged the upper half of my intake and still get 20psi at WOT. I have the propshaft running about 1.75" below the transom and still got to play around with props to get some rpms up higher. I wish I had a go-pro, I would post a video.

Also, that's a solid boat right there. That's on my wish list lol. How's it run?
    Yea it's pretty solid, I wouldn't think a war eagle would have a problem tho. She runs pretty strong

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

That the atlas micro jacker on ur rig?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Special View Post
    That the atlas micro jacker on ur rig?
    Micro jacker with pt 130 stacked on

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Had any probs out of the micro? I've had mine for about 6 months and it's doin good. I got the micro jacker and a bobs SB6 stacked now.

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that a bobs 2" spacer as well?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Special View Post
    Had any probs out of the micro? I've had mine for about 6 months and it's doin good. I got the micro jacker and a bobs SB6 stacked now.
    No problems, Wouldn't go without it now. Yes 2" bobs spacers

Thread Information