Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    sounds good little engine.
    I think by trying 60 carb youl find it will go slower.
    the 60ho has three carbs, so each of those will be far too small.

might be best to look around for a set of 50/60 hp carbs from a twin cylinder and make a twin manifold.
    but if this goes like you say I think best to stick with what you got.

what are the rpm's when your running flat out on it now ?

My dad wants me to keep it the same but I'm always looking for more gains because I am racing against 60s 65s and 70s! My single carb is the same size as one of the carbs on a 60 3cylinder! So by adding 2 Of the 60 carbs to a custom intake I will be adding twice as much air! It's just a thought but if it doesn't work I can always sell them again! My little 30 has impressed me in so many ways and the guys I race with can't even get over how good it works! I've tried tiny tachs and they won't work and I still haven't got a rpm reading! The motor is suppose to have a 2:1 gear ratio but I haven't even checked if it is a 2 or a 1.83!

pdt

I think your dad is giving good advice.
    like it is its not killing it and reliability is good then leave well be.
    plus youl only use more fuel as well, so you will then need bigger tank = more weight and be back to what you have now !!!!!

you need to get some video's posted of the little beastie .
    what year is your engine / coz some of the 40 2 cylinder mercs over here in uk had 2 carbs.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    I think your dad is giving good advice.
    like it is its not killing it and reliability is good then leave well be.
    plus youl only use more fuel as well, so you will then need bigger tank = more weight and be back to what you have now !!!!!

you need to get some video's posted of the little beastie .
    what year is your engine / coz some of the 40 2 cylinder mercs over here in uk had 2 carbs.

My motor is a 2002. I only use the motor to race so I don't mind if it's hard on gas and our season is only a few months. I am going to get my flywheel lightened and cut my tuner and see what happens. I'll get some videos up in a few days when I get to my laptop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tyst67 View Post
    My dad wants me to keep it the same but I'm always looking for more gains because I am racing against 60s 65s and 70s! My single carb is the same size as one of the carbs on a 60 3cylinder! So by adding 2 Of the 60 carbs to a custom intake I will be adding twice as much air! It's just a thought but if it doesn't work I can always sell them again! My little 30 has impressed me in so many ways and the guys I race with can't even get over how good it works! I've tried tiny tachs and they won't work and I still haven't got a rpm reading! The motor is suppose to have a 2:1 gear ratio but I haven't even checked if it is a 2 or a 1.83!
    For the tiny tach try wrapping the sensor wire around both of the spark plug wires and not just one, that' s what we have to do on the 2 banger omcs.

Where are you in Canada?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleCharger View Post
    For the tiny tach try wrapping the sensor wire around both of the spark plug wires and not just one, that' s what we have to do on the 2 banger omcs.

Where are you in Canada?
    I'll try that to see if it works! I am in New Brunswick

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

if you're having trouble getting stable readings, wrap aluminum foil about any wires near the one you're using for the signal. That helps a lot.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    if you're having trouble getting stable readings, wrap aluminum foil about any wires near the one you're using for the signal. That helps a lot.

Jeff
    Ok cool I never thought of that before!

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on tiny tach after about 4 of them. Finally I put a 4" Faria tach on it and it has an hr meter on it. Installed when I got my motor back from bein ported. It works awesome. Plus it's big enough to "quick glance" at it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 55751 Finally got some set back for my rig. Also added these "trim stops" to it instead of using wedges. Think they'll work just fineAttachment 55752

pdt

your pictures don't work
    try again, this time try to just use the manage attachments in the go advanced part and use direct from your pc.
    its the easiest way of getting them on here fast.

Thread Information