Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 3 cyl Merc 40

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll try repost in them. CMC BA130 plate 5.75" of set back and I added what I call "trim stops" to the plate instead of using trim wedges to achieve the same 5 deg of positive trim I was needing to get the front of my boat outta the water. Have the ab plate around 2" above the bottom of the transom nowAttachment 55754Attachment 55755

pdt

just looked up those cmc ba130 plates, nice little units, only weigh 28 pounds !!!! I think that's a lot of weight for a small plate, but there ya go.
    so now you have to get a jack plate as well, as I don't see this being able to go up 5 inches !!!!
    I would of thought it would of been better to get a jackplate rather than just a setback unit, going back you will need to go up a fair bit now or be in too deep.
    unless you already have a jackplate that is..

is your motor longshaft or shortshaft ? and what depth is the boat transom, I presume boat to be a 20 inch.
    the anti-cavitaion plate needs to be a lot higher than 2 inches above the boat, most of these guys are running with it 5 inches above and more.

you must have a longshaft engine, because if it was shortshaft the plate would be 5 inches above the bottom without anything on it at all.
    or you have a short shaft engine on a short shaft boat (doubt that).

look at a few of the boats on here, they run with the centre of the propshaft just 1 inch below the boat, that means the plate must be atleast 5 inches above.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's setting up about where it needs to be I don't have a low water pickup and its set up for hunting so I've gotta be able to turn fast and not blow out it curves. Haven't tried it out yet though

pdt

well I thought you were chasing speed !!!!! you will be even slower than the etec if the engine is buried.
    with the engine on the boat without the cmc thing I take it the plate was level ?
    this would indicate you have a longshaft engine, and not a chance of mega revs with it buried, 5500 if your lucky, 6000 if the prop is very small.
    you wont be getting any high speeds that's for sure. that's why the guys on here oput the jack plates on the short shafts, to get them realy high.
    from what I gather by taking your engine out 5 1/2 inches you will need to get it up a lot.
    ive just took mine out 5 inches and gone up 7 inches, people tell me ill still get water pressure ,but ill have to see.
    have a look at the other hunting boats, they all seem to run jack plates with the engines up.
    with the setback youl be digging in the mud without raising it, the centre of gravity will make the back seem a lot heavier and will dig down further on pull away.

what prop have you got on it now ?

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I think How heavy your rig is has a lot to do with how high you can run your motor. Yes prop and setback are just as big of factors but If ur pushin a lot of weight you can't run as high as the feather light boats that u see on here...btw hgipson ur pics still ain't posting! At least, I can't see em.

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Hydraulic jack plates make life soooo much easier!! Just gotta save up ur pennies awhile

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah my boat ain't feather lite I imagine it would fly on a little Borel or something of that nature like Hank had. Thought about building a boat similar to that this winter if I get time I've got an old hull I can rig up that would be about 200-250 lbs when done. I just like having it on this War Eagle for now though any faster than what it is going down Cache or White river 50+ mph w decoys, guns, and what not ain't too shaby! Don't have to worry about getting to the hole first anyway. But eventually by next summer Id like to run it on something lite just for the fun of it. I don't know why the pics won't post. Tried doing it advanced and all that it still didn't post em. I need a jack plate maybe a CMC 65 manual jack plate would put the icing on the cake for me! If I ever get another one I'm going to build it myself and have somebody add a little spray to it and I'll weld on a nose cone and let her fly!!

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea manual jack is way better than none at all! My friend that finally decided to buy my cmc manual was very glad he did. Still, u wanna run it as I high as it can with out the prop blowin out just so you can have the full benefit of ur new wide rpm that you paid all that denero for!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to find a 8k Merc analog tach so I can see what it's really doing. As of now I only have GPS to guess with and only one prop to run so it'll be a little while before I get it lined completely out. I've heard once you get to the point I'm at it comes down to setup/try/setup/try till you find the good as its gonna get setup. I've got the Hydrotec carbon reeds in now. Heard a few guys running the Boyseen getting a few more rpm and even the CCMS race reeds (I've got a new set I had ordered before I got the work done still got em) but have heard the CCMS are bad about chipping after 15-20 hrs. But don't know cause I haven't tried em. But it starts, idles, and runs perfect right now so I'm not gonna switch em out for .5 mph. I built my tuner like most others I've seen and it seems to do real good so far or at least sounds like it does! If I don't get another mph out of it Ill be happy with just listening to her gin!!

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Tryin to post a little video but it's sayin BRF database error.. For a tach u might look on Greatlakesskipper.com. Or ebay has several. Can't remember how many 8k there are tho. I'm sure they're out there

Thread Information