Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2014 COR Rules Proposal

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2014 COR Rules Proposal

Well, with Rod Zapf "Stepping Down" as COR Chairman, I've been thinking what COR rules SHOULD be: Here are my suggestions.

1. COR Division I
    Current 2013 rules, no changes
    2. COR Division II
    2.0 liter motors, 26 cc head, 2.0 liter with EFI, 2 inches below the bottom, 1,550 over all weight.
    3. COR Division III
    Any 19'6" foot boat, 26 CC heads, 1" below, and STOCK BLOCKS. (Cross ways reeds, with "Notched" exhaust ports or Long way (Vertical) reeds oval port blocks only with the same bolt pattern as newer 2.0, 2.4 and 2.5. No "EARLY" 175 blocks.) 1,400 pounds, boat, motor and driver.

Division III, Power trim must be disconnected during a race. (My thinking, NASCAR does not allow the driver to change the set up. I think pit stops, teams could the boat's set up.

4. COR Division IV
    Any 200 HP 2006 legal "Green" motor is stock configuration 1,600 pounds, boat motor and driver. Prop shaft 2" below the bottom.

Run all FOUR Divisions together, score the together for the races, but keep each Division's points separate.

Some of us don't want to spent $10,000 ON A POWERHEAD. STOCK BLOCKS ARE THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-30-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If i may ask a question being i`m not an active COR racer (but want to if COR gets going on the east coast) my concern is two parts. First would be your making the orignal existing COR boats take a back seat to the efi motors by nameing them Div 2 and your proposed efi COR boats DIV 1. Should be reversed.
    Next is you proposed Div 3 boats. Please define "any 19'6" boat". Does this include full tunnels, hydro`s or the current Mod-VP bottoms which brings up another point. How can i call the boat bottom Mod-VP when the length is not the same? My bad. Maybe i should have said sort of like a Mod-VP bottom but longer, Or Mod-VP type bottom. I`m so confused! I know, I`ll just call it a COR bottom.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dabull1919: Could Call

Quote Originally Posted by Dabull1919 View Post
    If i may ask a question being i`m not an active COR racer (but want to if COR gets going on the east coast) my concern is two parts. First would be your making the orignal existing COR boats take a back seat to the efi motors by nameing them Div 2 and your proposed efi COR boats DIV 1. Should be reversed.
    Next is you proposed Div 3 boats. Please define "any 19'6" boat". Does this include full tunnels, hydro`s or the current Mod-VP bottoms which brings up another point. How can i call the boat bottom Mod-VP when the length is not the same? My bad. Maybe i should have said sort of like a Mod-VP bottom but longer, Or Mod-VP type bottom. I`m so confused! I know, I`ll just call it a COR bottom.

DB
    I changed my suggestion, after reading your suggestions. No use confusing the current COR racers.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of us don't want to spent $10,000 ON A POWERHEAD. STOCK BLOCKS ARE THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM.

I agree with this more than your others. I like stock blocks and all but there are many to choose from in the long 2.0L Merc history. My personal favorite would be the first generation 175hp with the wide head bolt pattern from 1976-80 but probly not that many left.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Notched Port 2.0's and Oval Port "Long Ways" Reeds

No early blocks that have a different bolt pattern.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    I would be very cautious on the 200 green motors on a 1550 or 1600 pound boat the extra cubic inches will have more grunt than the 2.0. You guys really need to test this first. I could be total incorrect but I think in the right hands the green motor would be hard to beat especially with the rolling starts. You also open up a much more complicated and time consuming inspection process.

If the newer green motors are the way to go then the cost also just went up, which I know is not your intention. I do not have a dog in this fight but it seems like COR is growing and the racers are enjoying the class. Mike Q, you and others have done a good job of promoting the class and getting new people in to Boat Racing. We have also seen several people return to the sport. It is a great success story for the Sport. I would be very cautious how you tweak the rules, and I would make sure there is buy in throughout the class. You guys have a great thing going.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bruce, I Love You Like a Brother, I Do.........

"I love you like a brother, I do" comes from the cremation of Sam McGee a poem my mother used to recite...

I think you are right about these new "GOVERNMENT REGULATED" motors. There must be more than a 1 million 2.0 liter motor laying around this country. I've bought several for the price of hauling them off. The cheapest GOVERNMENT APPROVED motor is at $12,000. I can do a lot of porting for $12,000.

So, OK: Two Divisons

1. Current COR CLASS RULES
    2. Division II 19'6' boats with stock blocks.

Eleven suggestions for COR RULES 2014:

1. I favor two, ten lap heats per day as a race. IF we have more than 14 boats, I say we split the field. (this way, you have one small tank that will take care of you)...

2. I support a Division II with Stock blocks and 19'6" boats.
    3. I support the APBA point system, ONE set of points per day.
    4. I support giving the Enduro double points.
    5. I support the concept (MY CONCEPT) of one rally per year for points...maybe at Kevin's Taylor's test location.

6. I'm not sure about three boat lengths that are being discussed, be we need to give everyone more room. This is a "GENTLEMAN'S Class!!!

7. I will support either Kevin Taylor or Mike Q. for COR Chairman. I think you both have your heart into COR and either could make a good leader.

8. Lonnie Morris said he could promote two NORCAL races, if we had two SOCAL races, we could have the Championships at Bakersfield as a North-South Race. I support a "PRE PLANNED" race schedule (SERIES) .....That includes going to H1ad see what their plans are.

9. We need STV Keith's You Tubes to be presented to MAV-TV as a Series. Let's talk growth, not points!
    10. I support join APBA as a COR Club...
    11. No COR race will run "BACK TO BACK" heats as we need time to recharge the radios and driver's batteries/ Also, boats need to be safety inspected after each heat.

NEXT COR meeting, November 2nd, Saturday at Hill Marine's shop in Santa An, CA. Meeting will be after the Region 12 Annual meeting and SCOA's meeting. Probably 3:00.
    Last edited by 3030; 09-29-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Thread Information