Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: By Passing the Rev-limiter

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    can I ask why people want to go past the rev limiter ?
    is the power still going to be in the region past the limiter ?
    or is this mainly done when the port timing has been changed, obviously the engine can rev higher, but will it produce the horses once it goes past a certain point.

would it no be simpler to just put on the next pitch prop and keep in original power-band if piston /bore work has not been carried out.......
    Speed is all about RPMs. The more you turn the faster you can go. By throwing a larger prop on, you will decrease your RPMs and put a bigger load on the motor. Once you find the best prop, you do all you can to get the highest revs with it.

pdt

its only the more you turn the faster you go within the power curve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I can remember correctly, He has modified the motor at least raising the compression and something with the exhaust tuner. I wouldn't be surprised if his motor made a little more power on the top end.

As much as you talk about the power curve and other things, if I knew any better, i'd say you might go by the name Phill

Post Thanks / Like

Try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack, MN. 218-682-2331. They have a large inventory of used parts, and they ship. Make sure the pack does NOT have "6100" printed on it -- that's the limited version.

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

its only the more you turn the faster you go within the power curve
    If u know so much phil why u keep asking silly pointless question? Then when someone does answers u, u dont believe what they tell u,, cause it dont meet your theory.... someone wanting to turn more rpms and run faster will unhook the rev-limiter so the motor can turn up more and get more out of there engine,,, it dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out.. No one can ever explain nothin to u, and no explanation is ever going to meet your thoughts or understanding, u just dont comprehend things.
    Let it all Hang out

pdt

I have said nothing wrong
    just stating that a tweak of the prop could be better if the engine was not a worked on engine.

everywhere on this forum there is mention of the power in a given rev range of the engines, why would this be so different to all the other posts about power/speed increases ?
    I agree it don't take a rocket scientist to work it out, IF the engines power band has been taken further up the range, that is basic engine power theory.
    There is plenty of people who would say to go up a prop rather than exceed the rev limiter.
    I only asked why Mike.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have said nothing wrong
    just stating that a tweak of the prop could be better if the engine was not a worked on engine.

everywhere on this forum there is mention of the power in a given rev range of the engines, why would this be so different to all the other posts about power/speed increases ?
    I agree it don't take a rocket scientist to work it out, IF the engines power band has been taken further up the range, that is basic engine power theory.
    There is plenty of people who would say to go up a prop rather than exceed the rev limiter.
    I only asked why Mike.
    People that cut the rev limiter wouldn't do it if it didn't help.

To answer your question, "Can I ask why people want to go past the rev limiter? ...would it no be simpler to just put on the next pitch prop and keep in original power-band if piston /bore work has not been carried out.......?" I would say you are probably a person that would be better off to stay with a stock powerhead and play around with props that run within your powerband. Keep the more complicated setups to people that know their stuff better.

And if you ask a question on here, take in the answer instead of challenging it with your own logic.

pdt

ok
    this is to omc stratos
    what is your top revs and what power does the engine produce at these revs ?
    what is the powerband range now ? and what was the original range for the powerband ?
    that's pretty easy to answer I imagine,its not a trick question im serious as this would prove a very valid point that is not coming across on here,

Post Thanks / Like

Racing GT Pro (OMC 32.8, 30/35hp), I've always had the best results running in the 6400-6800 rpm range. However, the 20hp version of this powerhead is seriously restricted at the intake, so results may be different.

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

as torque falls off, the hull also gets lighter, cuzz of air intrapment ( the style of hull will determiner how much lift you get) rpms give her legs to advance in speed. example; torque starts to falls away at 58-6200rpms, but she is still makin more hp up to 7800rpms, she is fastest at 8000, torque is long since fallen off

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Thread Information