Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: By Passing the Rev-limiter

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default By Passing the Rev-limiter

Hey just wanted to know if any one can help answer this question, can I by pass my rev-limiter in my 1990 20hp evinrude?

Rev-limiter cuts in at 6100 rpms can I can't I wire or disconnect something?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emustard View Post
    Hey just wanted to know if any one can help answer this question, can I by pass my rev-limiter in my 1990 20hp evinrude?

Rev-limiter cuts in at 6100 rpms can I can't I wire or disconnect something?
    dont know on that year model,,u may have to go to a late 80's eletronics if u cant find a way to by pass the limiter
    Let it all Hang out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I could go out and by a non rev-limiter for 150-200$ but just wanted to know if there was a cheaper way. There has to be something or someone that can shed some more light on this.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know on yamaha's it's called the "gray wire mod". If you want to take a gamble, cut it and see if it works. You might could solder it back together if it didn't work...
    Actually you should be able to pull the wires straight out of the connector without cutting at all. They slide in the rubber multi-pin connectors.

You should be able to find some used electronics somewhere around.
    I replaced my powerpack for a $90 cdi unit, I don't think it is that expensive and it seems to work just fine.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I might try that this weekend, a new cdi is about 150-200$ to get it shipped to canada so if there is a cheaper way like cutting a wire, I'm all for it.

pdt

can I ask why people want to go past the rev limiter ?
    is the power still going to be in the region past the limiter ?
    or is this mainly done when the port timing has been changed, obviously the engine can rev higher, but will it produce the horses once it goes past a certain point.

would it no be simpler to just put on the next pitch prop and keep in original power-band if piston /bore work has not been carried out.......

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason I want to go past the rev limiter is because I just bought an 18pitch cleaver and am already hitting the rev limiter with it and I don't want to buy another prop so soon. Started with a 13 aluminum could hardly turn 5 grand now with a 18 stainless steel cleaver in hitting the rev limiter at 6100rpms. People go past the rev limiter mainly because the engine will still create power, even above its rev limiter. The manufactures put a revlimiter in to increase engine life.

pdt

Yes I understand it can go above the rev limiter, but at what revs is the powerband ?
    its not a continuing thing, there is a band that runs ceretain revs to create power, then once it goes past a certain point the power drops off.
    would a tweak in the prop not be a better idea ? so you still have plenty of power and torque etc..18 inches of pitch is a fair bit for a 20hp, what diameter is the prop
    and how high do you run it.
    any pics of the engine on the boat ? sounds like a pretty cool boat engine set up to be getting those revs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    Yes I understand it can go above the rev limiter, but at what revs is the powerband ?
    its not a continuing thing, there is a band that runs ceretain revs to create power, then once it goes past a certain point the power drops off.
    would a tweak in the prop not be a better idea ? so you still have plenty of power and torque etc..18 inches of pitch is a fair bit for a 20hp, what diameter is the prop
    and how high do you run it.
    any pics of the engine on the boat ? sounds like a pretty cool boat engine set up to be getting those revs
    when u unhook the rev limiter and run your motor with no oil in the gas at high rpm's it allows the pistons to stick to the cylinder walls this then allows the rods to stretch and increases the stroke and that helps the low end torque and u can accelerate faster. the trick is to know how much to stretch those rod's.
    Strictly business

pdt

when u unhook the rev limiter and run your motor with no oil in the gas at high rpm's it allows the pistons to stick to the
    cylinder walls this then allows the rods to stretch and increases the stroke and that helps the low end torque and u can accelerate faster.
    the trick is to know how much to stretch those rod's.

now that is a wonderful explanation

Thread Information