Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kankakee OPC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS Never again!!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right that nothing will ever change if nobody ever says anything. Another thing that maybe some people can help out here with is we just got a new channel in our dish network package called the H20 Channel/Water channel, I have seen drag boats (IHBA) offshore, poker run stuff but nothing with OPC, I think this channel might be a great place for perhaps APR to get a TV promotional spot if they want to take the series to that level...and maybe they have looked into it, I have no idea I was just wondering if any OPC has been seen on the channel.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TabaraRacing12]Bob, If ChampBoat is back and racing in Kankakee you will most likely see Page and his brother, if not you might not just like most other Champ guys, although there are some "exceptions" that will race even if it wasnt a Champ race, but in order for Kankakee to have a "good" field of Champ/Mod U boats you have to have it as a sanctioned race for ChampBoat points. Do not make this an issue of love for the sport, but time/money/traveling/cost factor. But most of those Champ guys that do race at the nationals when non series sanctioned are fairly close to Kankakee. MONEY WILL NOT BRING BOATS, but Series sanctions DO, thus we can look at last year in Kankakee where there was either a 20,000 or 25,000 dollar purse plus tow money for Mod-U Worlds and only 5 boats showed with everyone concerned about the ChampBoat race a week or 2 after the nationals.[/QUOT]
    The original quote that started this thread by Page was that he received 150.00 for Mod U . Now i am reasoning this out and saying that if only 5 boats showed and even if more joined in and there was $25,000.00 offered for the class + tow money You are saying there was that weekend for this UIM event . WHATS UP Please print out the payout from the 25 grand + tow money so everyone can see this.
    M.R.Tabara probably doesnt have the payout list but i am sure that someone does.
    Last edited by Bob Valachovic; 11-04-2005 at 08:01 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about last years OPC 04 nationals (go back and read it again if you need to Mr Valachovic) where they held the UIM Mod U Worlds. There was going to be a purse of 25,000 if "X" many of boats showed, BUT only 5 or 6 boats showed. I dont have a race circular from last year, but there was a "huge" purse for Mod-U, but all were a no show. Also note that tow money plus local sponsor monies were also payed. This played a part into the big sponsorship troubles this year for the nationals as sponsors had put up big $$$ in 04. So as you can see "money" doesnt bring boat racers, series conjuction does. If the boats that showed this year would have showed up last year they ALL would have went home with decent checks.
    Last edited by TabaraRacing12; 11-04-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TabaraRacing12
    I was talking about last years OPC 04 nationals (go back and read it again if you need to Mr Valachovic) where they held the UIM Mod U Worlds. There was going to be a purse of 25,000 if "X" many of boats showed, BUT only 5 or 6 boats showed. I dont have a race circular from last year, but there was a "huge" purse for Mod-U, but all were a no show. Also note that tow money plus local sponsor monies were also payed. This played a part into the big sponsorship troubles this year for the nationals as sponsors had put up big $$$ in 04. So as you can see "money" doesnt bring boat racers, series conjuction does. If the boats that showed this year would have showed up last year they ALL would have went home with decent checks.
    (If i need to).
    Soebody Please print the out the pay out for This year for MOD U so Eveyone knows why Page got a hundred fifty bucks for running his boat.
    Thats wy this thread was started n the first place. Thank You. Bob
    Excuse me 105.00 i went back in the thread and looked.
    Last edited by Bob Valachovic; 11-04-2005 at 09:11 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, YES YOU NEED TO

APBA Race Circular
    Sanction ID 1535

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regatta OPC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
    Date 2005-09-02 thru 2005-09-05
    Sanction Status Approved Region # 7
    Conducting Club GREAT LAKES BOAT CLUB, INC. Club# 28
    Co-Host CHAMPBOAT SERIES
    Application Date 2005-07-11 Approved on 2005-08-09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Place Kankakee , IL Kankakee River

Directions I57 to Exit 312, take Hwy 17 West 4 blocks to Court St. Turn left and follow signs to pits.

Accommodations Holiday Inn Express 815-932-4411, Quality Inn & Suites 815-939-3501, Country Inn & Suites 815-468-2600, Hampton Inn 815-932-8369, Fairfield Inn 815-935-1334. These are sponsoring hotels please use them.

Classes
    Monday, September 5, 2005
    07280 - SST 120 National Championship
    07290 - SST 60 National Championship
    07310 - SST 45 National Championship
    07340 - FORMULA 150 National Championship
    07350 - SPORT C National Championship
    07390 - FORMULA V National Championship
    07400 - CHAMP National Championship
    07640 - MOD U National Championship

** ADDITION TO CIRCULAR, 8/30/05 ** The following is added to this sanctioned event: Monday, Sept. 5 - Exhibition of 4 Outboard Drag Boats. Sport C, SST 60, Formula V, Super Sport, Formula 150, Mod U - two 7 lap qualifing heats, one 7 to 10 lap final. SST 45 - two 10 lap heats, 30 lap final. SST 120 - two 10 lap heats, 30 lap final. Champ - two 15 lap heats, 50 lap final. Class scheduling will be posted on APBA website news or contact Mike Wienandt.
    Format/Rules SST 45: Approx. 3/4 mile course. Not Approved for Records All other classes: Approx. 1 Mile course. Not Approved for Records.

Prizes Sport C, Formula V, SST 60, Super Sport, Formula 150 and Mod U: $1,500 per class per table. SST 45 - $4,000 Per ChampBoat payout table. SST 120 - $7,500 Per ChampBoat payout table. Champ - $20,000 Per ChampBoat payout table. Possible Bonus money to be announced later. Payout table available upon request.

Registration Pre-registrtion ONLY. Send by 8/25/05. You must enter in advance. Mail, Fax or Email. Bring your check to the club house when you check in before any testing. $100 late fee for not preregistering Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. / 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. only. Saturday: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. only Sunday: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. only

Drivers Meeting Saturday, Sunday, Monday: 10:45 a.m. at Pavilion

Send Entries To Mail, Email or Fax. You MUST send entry in advance by 8/25/05. Mike Wienandt, W6912 Fox Drive, Fond du Lac, WI 54937 E-mail: apbaopc1@charter.net - Fax: 920-921-2755
    Entry Fees Sport C, Formula V, Super Sport, SST 60: $100 each SST 45, Formula 150, Mod U: $150 each SST 120 - $200 - Champ - $400

Officials
    AsstRef: DEE BERGHAUER 1505 WOODSIDE LN ELM GROVE, WI 53122-1982
    AsstRef: GARY ROMBERG 45012 BYRNE DR NORTHVILLE, MI 48167-2802
    Inspector: EDGAR ROSE 741 SYCAMORE LN GLENCOE, IL 60022-1446
    RaceDir: MIKE WIENANDT W6912 FOX DR FOND DU LAC, WI 54937-9154
    Referee: NORM SCHAUB 1417 CARRIAGE DR WEST BEND, WI 53095-4584
    RiskMan: LOUIS SCHUH 2293 E 3150 NORTH RD SAINT ANNE, IL 60964-7111
    Scorer: KELLY LADD 11920 N MAIN WHITMORE LAKE, MI 48189-9340

Notes * ChampBoat Series Points race for SST 45, SST 120, Champ classes * PAT WHITCOMB will be ASSISTANT RACE DIRECTOR for the entire event and will handle all ChampBoat Series classes. * Fuel: VP Racing Fuel will be the required fuel for SST 60, SST 120, F-150, Champ, Mod U. Bring your empty containers. A required 10 gal. in SST 60 and F-150, 15 gals. in SST 120 and Mod U and 30 gals. in Champ class - minimum must be purchased for these classes. VP will provide MS93-90 motor octane, VP Marine-95 motor octane, and VP Red-105 motor octane. All provided fuels meet APBA/OPC requirments. Fuel will only be available Friday noon to Saturday noon. You must be there to get your required fuel for the weekend. Sunoco GT 100 is not APBA/OPC approved. * Absolutly No motorhomes parked closer to the water then the end of the tennis court. MotorHome parking across the street. * Conducting Club is responsible for payment of the Region 7 Safety Fund fee of $10/sanction day, payable to the Region 7 Chairman, Dee Berghauer, 1505 Woodside Ln., Elm Grove, WI 53122-1982.

This Regatta is Sanctioned through the APBA
    All prizes are the responsibility of the conducting Club. APBA does not guarantee nor is it responsible for payment of prizes. You are advised this event may be canceled prior to the race due to circumstances beyond the control of this association. If you plan to travel a long distance, it is recommended that you contact the race sponsor prior to your departure to ensure this event will take place.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

04 Nationals was 10,000 for Mod U plus Champ 5,000 BUT there was more local sponsors, tow money, mercury support money. Between those 2 classes there was 20-25,000 total prize money available. Now those were the race circular prize monies layout. My bad I thought it was just Mod U but it was the combined purse of Mod U and Champ. I just remember no boats showing up for good money, UIM World Title, plus National Championship titles. This year 05 ChampBoat event brings in 3 times more Champ/Mod U boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TabaraRacing12
    04 Nationals was 10,000 for Mod U plus Champ 5,000 BUT there was more local sponsors, tow money, mercury support money. Between those 2 classes there was 20-25,000 total prize money available. Now those were the race circular prize monies layout. My bad I thought it was just Mod U but it was the combined purse of Mod U and Champ. I just remember no boats showing up for good money, UIM World Title, plus National Championship titles. This year 05 ChampBoat event brings in 3 times more Champ/Mod U boats.
    If no boats show up for good money, there should be a percentage discount for prize money for a sparse class so that the races in that particular class do not place a great strain on the funds provided for this class so that it can continue for the season or next season.(Less boats Less prize money). I read it wrong but if that is what happened ,last season and it placed a strain on the race this season from the last it should be adderesed so it is fixed.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As we all know the Nationals was always known to have the most boats from the small boat to the big stuff. Now that times have changed we dont have 150 small boats that show up. In classes other than SST-120 and Champ you usually only see 6-12 boats. SST-60/Formula V/Sport C all these classes only have minimal numbers. SST 45's used to have to run last chance qualifiers, not just 1 but sometimes 2, now they are down to 15-20 boats a race. Which leaves the Nationals with 120's and Champ. In the past the number and competition in the smaller classes could outweigh the show of 120's, Champ, etc (big boats) but now that times have changed we need to have the best show out of the 120's and Champ to save the small boat count for all the other classes.

And I do believe that the purse always has a minimum boat count for the listed prize monies, but if the boats do not show they adjust accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Default kankakee 2004

i was at kankakee along with tabara in 2004 and 2005
    and i race the champ series with page
    this thread started from page getting a small check from mod u

as been said boat count was low in 2004 for champ and mod u

as i understand there has to be a minimum of 5 boats in a class to be eligable for points,title and national honors,,,,,,,,,,,,
    at drivers meeting they had 4 in champ,,,,3 for mod u
    and had to get people in both classes to combine together to get the 5 boat count for both classes
    pete nydal hurt motor,,,,and they had to scramble to try to get that 1 boat back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for mod u
    thats how bad the boat count was for the 2 classes

champboat sales an event to sponsors with a 15 boat minimum field
    so if you were a sponsor in 2004 at kankakee,,,,,would you sponsor again in 2005?

kankakee lost their largest sponsor and numerous smaller 1s for 2005
    because of the low boat count and was a rainy weekend so revenue was also lost from paying spectators

so champboat series stepped in for 2005 and promoted the champ,sst120,45 classes
    which gave series points to them teams,and also normal champ series prize money only for them 3 classes
    all the other classes were only given 1,500 each

at the drivers meeting we were told 2005 had the largest boat count in years

as tabara said ,,,the series racing brought up the boat count.............

page is mad because the check he got for mod u was small,
    well that was becuse they lost sponsor money from the yr previous
    and mod u is not a champboat event.
    he is used to the champseries payout and hope he understands the reasons why the mod u pay was low

do yall know that 2005 was the last yr on the contract for the kankakee race?
    so i hope the good racing and boat count was enough to have kankakee pick back up the contract for a few more yrs
    and enough promoting is done to bring back up the prize money
    we can argue about the prize money and whos not going back

whats wrong with putting that energy together to make sure we dont lose another venue
    hate to lose a great national event as kankakee
    and none of us be able to go back

john
    Last edited by john miffco; 11-05-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m back in civilization, after 16 days without power, thanks to Wilma.
    Looks like some of you misunderstood my original post.
    I’m not mad only because of small check for Mod-U, which was just part of it. Main thing was that I was lied to, and screwed for sponsorship money (promised $500.00 received $0) plus cut short for Champ check and had to wait whole month for everything.
    Will I go back to Kankakee? Only as a part of Champ Boat Series and that’s the only way.
    I don’t know what’s the big deal that Kankakee contract is expired for Nationals, if they don’t sign up someone else will, you can bet there will be Nationals somewhere and change is always good, new venue, new people, new spectators , new sponsors….hey, think about it.
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Thread Information