Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kankakee OPC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS Never again!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This shows the shot of the clock. Note there are TWO of them for even better viewing.

The area to the left was General admission ($35 for 3 days or $20 for one day) but the right side was the reserved VIP seating, mostly for the sponsors. On the weekend we were there, the VIP guests were treated to free Molsen's (and food too, I think), and you were served by waitresses, so you never had to leave your seat. They did sell VIP passes, but don't recall what the price was.

To get into the pits, you had to pay $20 extra.

Once again, these boats are not what we commonly know as the premier classes. But in the right atmosphere, they can certainly "wow" the fans just as strong as the top classes can.

The key is all in the presentation.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    This web site is a great thing for a boat racing and I wanna thank you for that, other than that we are on completely opposite sides, you don’t agree on anything I say and I sure don’t agree on ANY of your points, not one. You might not like this, but you guys, (not you personally but in general), steered boat racing in hobby direction for so many years and got us nowhere so I just think it’s time for a change, something new, with new people and new philosophy, let’s try, we got nothing to lose, look what are they doing in Japan boat racing is a BIG business there, just ask “tacobellprop” one of our members from Japan. In his own words and I quote (from personal e-mail); “Drivers' average annual income (prize money) is $180,000. Some drivers make over a million bucks a year.”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Must be a nice to have a Hobby in Japan, I bet you those drivers are not working as judges and other things you advocate, and even that is not a big deal, if I have to do it I have no problem with that neither, but I just don’t see a point why?
    Just something for you to think about, and if you can tell me why is that wrong, they do what they love to do and they make a (good) living that way.
    FYI; Champ powerhead it’s not $65.000 but it’s not $10.000ish neither, figure about $15-16.000 plus another $5-6.000 for engine builder since they are so stock, but that’s besides the point, and to say that Champ Boat and any other class other than Unlimited and Drag racing is boring makes me think do you really love boat racing at all.

PS; Nascar was just a example, I’m talking about car racing in general from Go-karts to a Formula-1
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default All Racing Is Boring....

Unless you, your kid or friends are racing....Boat racing has never developed a real fan following.

Soccer is boring, but some of those dude make a killing playing it...

Promote Baot Racing any way you can, and I'll back you.....I just feel to make it grow, we all have to be willing to give a hell of a lot more than we can ever expect to take out.... That means, working boat show, car show, writing press release, writing sponsors...helping new comers, help promotoers of races.... You can't sit around and expect the world to come to you......

You can I guess, and that is waht I'm saying is wrong with most of the people that have gotten into boat racing in the last 20 years...They are like welfare people...

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago, Mel and Stan were playing a game on their lawn, where they rolled a ball to see how close they could come to a set of pins.

Stan said to Mel, "This sport is fun, but it will never have a fan following".

Stan was wrong.

For 2000 years, this sport was simply a game.

But by 1950, someone figured out that the sport could really grow if players didn't have to set their own pins - they could now concentrate on their performance instead. Other people came up with competitions for large prizes. Someone else came up with a way to charge players a fee and make money. Players could rent the equipment if they didn't have their own. Organized competitions sprouted everywhere and an entire industry was born.

The moral of the story --- Bowling didn't gain a fan following until the right person came along with a plan no one in the past could figure out - a way for both players and the organizers to make money.

This country could have had "Croquet Alleys" in every town, but a bowler with a vision got there first. Boat racing needs to find it's own niche too.

How BOWLING became a major sport in America:

The first Mineralite ball was introduced in 1914 by the Brunswick Corporation, and the first commercial installation of a pin setting machine came in 1952, making "pin boys" almost entirely unnecessary. But nothing did more for the popularity of bowling than the first broadcast of "Championship Bowling" by NBC in the 1950’s. Thanks to this show and many others including "Make that Spare", "Bowling for Dollars", and "Celebrity Bowling", bowling was thrust into the American public’s living rooms and hearts alike. The Pro Bowlers tour became hugely popular on ABC Sports Broadcasting after first being televised in 1961.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Miss BK

I like your idea about Pratical Jokes Boat Racer Style. How about starting it up?

jimsummers

Default Boat Racing

they had it right but they ran him off. Terry P. IOGP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimsummers
    they had it right but they ran him off. Terry P. IOGP

You are so right, Jim. That's another thing boat racers have to get over -- that we can only progress when the guys running the show are making enough to live on. That's when they can devote 100% to our program.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    Football (soccer) may be boring to you but fact is that football is a #1 Pro sport in the World and in a same time biggest money maker for players, teams and owners.
    A lot of people here say that #1 form of car racing Formula – 1 is boring as well, but than again that’s number one form of any racing, period.
    Point made.
    Looks like we are finally getting somewhere….
    LOL….I may not be always right, but I’m never wrong……LOL

PS; what do you make of boat racing in Japan?

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing,
    Like in Val’s little story, every sport started originally as a hobby but there was a point in time when someone said: “Let’s make it better” and the rest is a history.
    BTW if your prop thing is a hobby too, can I get few props from you free of charge for my hobby?

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it’s me again,
    Since you mentioned Soccer, I just remembered that your son is playing Water Polo, can you believe that Pro players in Europe are actually making really good money in that sport????
    In every sport there are people who are in it because they want to become Pro players one day, there are Pros, and there are Hobbyist, people who love the game but unfortunately they are not good enough to be Professionals.
    My brain is on fire....
    Last edited by spn#43; 10-11-2005 at 12:17 PM.

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Thread Information