Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 59ci mercury tuner

Post Thanks / Like

the only difference between the 55 and 60 is the jets .060 for the 60 and .058 for the 55 ,also the 60 runs 4* more timing then the 55.
    considering most guys with the 60hp fit the .058 jets and most guys with the 55hp bump the timing up to 24*.they may as well be the same.
    I dunno about the seapro motors having more stainless???all the part numbers are the same

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fs5 View Post
    the only difference between the 55 and 60 is the jets .060 for the 60 and .058 for the 55 ,also the 60 runs 4* more timing then the 55.
    considering most guys with the 60hp fit the .058 jets and most guys with the 55hp bump the timing up to 24*.they may as well be the same.
    I dunno about the seapro motors having more stainless???all the part numbers are the same
    Yeah sea pros and mariners have stainless shafts and the motor weighs about 15 pounds heavier because of this! Fs5 what reeds do you have now and what reeds did you used to have? And did you run a modified tuner before or is this new tuner the first you have tried? Is there any benifets of trying to modify my own?

Post Thanks / Like

mate pm me your email and i'l send you the pics of the hydro tech tuner and a stock one side by side.
    i used to run chris carson reeds (sport) not his race ones.the ones i just fitted were the hydro tech carbon ones.
    i put a comp gage on it today and my cranking cold compression has gone from 112 to 118 ???same gage.i think i may have over torqued the old reeds ,the were sittin pretty high off the reed block.
    always ran the stock tuner until now..

pdt

putting different reeds in a motor will not give more compression, you can take the whole reed block out and the compression will stay the same.

only way to raise compression is in the combustion chamber, now unless you stuffed a load of rag in the carbs to stop any air getting into the block,
    reeds do not give more cold cranking compression.
    maybe this time you had a touch more fuel in the cylinders or the carbs open instead of shut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    putting different reeds in a motor will not give more compression, you can take the whole reed block out and the compression will stay the same.

only way to raise compression is in the combustion chamber, now unless you stuffed a load of rag in the carbs to stop any air getting into the block,
    reeds do not give more cold cranking compression.
    maybe this time you had a touch more fuel in the cylinders or the carbs open instead of shut.
    I cant stop laughing. this is some funny stuff.
    Strictly business

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HankFrazier View Post
    I cant stop laughing. this is some funny stuff.
    Hank do you run a modified tuner? And if so how did you do the mod?

Post Thanks / Like

well that's what the gauge said mate...

pdt

if you think that by putting different reeds youl get more compression at cranking speed, then your on drugs..
    reeds will work better when engine is running yes maybe.
    but go read again, its when he is doing a piston compression check.

so if that was aimed at me, then now who's the funny one.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=fs5;136026]well that's what the gauge said mate...[/QUO
    I believe what you said about the numbers but most likely due to the amount of oil in the cylinders. I am not making fun of any body on here it's just fun to me to watch people try to figure out stuff that we SRG has learned years ago. we know a lot about what it takes to make the 59 cid mercurys run fast and it's fun to watch other people play with them.when you discover the secrets that really work you don't share them. thats the way you stay on top and part of the fun of racing.
    Strictly business

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=HankFrazier;136030]
    Quote Originally Posted by fs5 View Post
    well that's what the gauge said mate...[/QUO
    I believe what you said about the numbers but most likely due to the amount of oil in the cylinders. I am not making fun of any body on here it's just fun to me to watch people try to figure out stuff that we SRG has learned years ago. we know a lot about what it takes to make the 59 cid mercurys run fast and it's fun to watch other people play with them.when you discover the secrets that really work you don't share them. thats the way you stay on top and part of the fun of racing.
    Hehe that's my problem, I tell almost everything to help people out! I'd like to know some of your secrets! New Brunswick is a long ways away

Thread Information