Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RPM limiter omc triple 60hp 1995 BE60TLEOC

pdt

Default RPM limiter omc triple 60hp 1995 BE60TLEOC

Can someone tell what the rev limiter is supposed to be on a 1995 evinrude 3 cyl 60hp motor.
    this limiter is same part number for 50/60/70hp models from what I am seeing in the parts pages.
    its the limiter with the S.L.O.W feature for over heating limp mode etc.

engine model BE60TLEOC

made in usa not the Belgium model.

I have had a few conflicting stories on what these motors rev out at with standard factory electric packs.

would like to know for sure what its meant to be limited too.

Once I know this, I can try different props etc and get to the limiter.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC rev limits are printed on the powerpack

Just pull your PowerPack and read it... The limit is printed in white ink as is the part number.

Example: 58L is a 5800 Limit and a 6L is a 6000 Limit

By the way, there is no separate rev limiter... It is a circuit contained inside the Powerpack.

pdt

aaah so its that simple to find out ?
    I didn't know if they were all the same on that year or how to tell etc, but sounds good if it is printed on it.
    I do know its inside the powerpack, that just so happens to be sealed in resin so people ike me don't go poking around in there ha ha .

I will be checking mine out tomorrow, I am hopoing for over 6000 rpm preferably 6250 upwards.
    ive had the engine at around 5800 - 5900 with a realy crappy prop, hoping to get it ot 6,000 with a 23 pitch !!!!!!!!!!! maybe its very wishfull thinking on my part.

thanks for the info 25xs

pdt

well I just looked at the cdi pack and nothing like printed part numbers etc
    the only thing on mine is a number 3 up in a corner.
    so now I am thinking maybe this year was a general spec for the cdi pack ?
    and I cannot find a reference to the rev limit for this year.

I do know that cdi does a powerpack for this motor that is rated at 6700rpm, but my one is genuine omc.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

maybe the one off of a sst-60 would work. i think they are unlimited.
    out front again

pdt

hi 75man
    what i am trying to find out is what my limiter should be at max, then i can sort out what prop to get me close to it for the best speed.
    after playing about making a jackplate with 4.5 of setback i now want to know what this engine should get to regarding the rpm.

if the limiter is 6000 then fine or if 6500 then again fine as i can then see if my prop set up is anywhere near what the engine can get to.

i know these limiters are the same part numbers for the 60hp and 70hp of same era, so should i be expecting a few hundred rpm less being its just got 60 carbs ?

i dont want to be running around trying to get 6250 if the limiter is lower for example,

knowing my luck its gonna be very low ha ha

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

All the aftermarket replacements for your factory Part No. 585145 rev limiter are at 6700 rpm. Likely the same as the factory ignition.

Run it. You'll feel the limiter kick in when you hit it; no harm done unless you run continuously on it.

Tom

pdt

I understand what your saying 25xs
    but I might be running say 6300 (i would love to ) and the engine has a lot more potential and could go to 6700, then i would be down by 400 rpm , .
    last run out i only got to 5750, now if i could take this to the 6700rpm i am down by 1,000 rpm and that is a huge amount left to find.

once i know the true target for the limiter, i can then tweak of whatever to try and get close to it, i would be well happy to be within a couple of hundred rpm to the limiter, once i know what it is.

like you say the after market all seem to be 6700 so mybe i might have to look at that figure.

by the way how quick do the limiters come in once they reach their set level.?
    i.e if the engine was revved with a very small prop would it simply stop climbing at a certain revs. ?
    if so then i have a old prop i can destroy to get it down to about 10 inch diameter and will lose tons of pitch as well for a test.
    (the prop would cost more to repair than its worth at the moment ).

once i know the max revs i will stay clear of it on any lengthy runs for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

don't think you can hurt the moter,it's got needle bearing and roller bearing. guess you got the 2.42 gear rato? find some 70 h/p arbs. i run a 13 3/4 dia x 27 pitch at way over 7000 rpms, my boat weights 200 lbs. 6700 rpms wont hurt your moter
    out front again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just put a smaller pitch prop and throttle back, you will be able to tell what rpm you are good for when the rev limiter kicks in

Thread Information